No Start and P2610

omar302

Yesterday I went to work in my Edge with no issues. In the afternoon when leaving (~8 hours later), the fob was not responding to unlock, so I thought the fob battery had died. But the the Edge still did not start using the fob backup slot. Nothing came up on the cluster which lead me to thing it was the vehicle's battery was dead as it is 666 days old, and not the fob. So tried to jump start it with another vehicle but no success. Still nothing from the start button or cluster.

I then realized that using the keypad buttons outside worked, I can lock/unlock the doors find with the keypad, but neither the fob or the interior lock/unlock buttons worked. So in a hunch, I disconnected the vehicles battery for about a minute & reconnected it and the Edge Started fine!!!

Checking for codes, I found a bunch or U codes, which usually come after a battery disconnect, but also got a P2610 - ECM/PCM Engine Off Timer Performance. Any thoughts on this? The Edge is now working fine even with the code on. Cleared it is gone.

It is a 2016 Edge Sport with approximately 36K miles.

Screenshot_20210921-152421.thumb.jpg.f5d5b7f595cd2fc60e13c90b1f3bdd6f.jpg

Edited by omar302
  • Confused 1

How old is your battery? I've had batteries that test good at he dealership and not so much at autozone, advanced auto etc.... Even though she started fine I would get oddest codes... When I replaced the battery, everything was right as rain!  This may totally be unrelated to your issue. Just tossing out a suggestion that is relatively painless to test etc. Good Luck!

Edited by onyxbfly
Aparently I can not spell worth a damn, without my glasses and coffee!
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Issue happened again today. No response from the keyfob or the engine start button. Yet when I opened the door using the emergency key the alarm went off! The Horn worked and I was able to turn off the alarm by entering the keyless entry code on the outside keypad. Disconnected the battery for a few seconds and then reconnected it, vehicle started completely fine. This time the only code was from the BCM related to something with the steering column lock (B1026) which probably was due to the battery disconnect/reconnect as always see a bunch of similar codes.

Screenshot_20211104-141556~2.jpg

• 7 months later...

Issue happened a third time yesterday.

No response from the keyfob or the engine start button. The keypad still worked and unlocked the door, but nothing in the instrument cluster. Disconnected the battery for a few seconds and then reconnected it, vehicle started completely fine. Again got a single code and was from the BCM related to the steering lock (B1026:87-08) - ForScan stating as "Missing Message".

I know that without any codes or a way to repeat it, my dealer will not be able to help. I tried the self tests for KOEO, KOER and BCM, no faults. 

Steering Lock -  (2).jpg

Steering Lock -  (1).jpg

Thank you @Haz

I feel that the code(s) I got are symptoms only, probably due to the battery disconnection. I went through the attached documents, but I couldn't find a link on what might cause the ignition power to be dead, completely, with no response in the IPC (no warnings or anything), the remote keyfob not responding to any commands, not even if inserted into the backup slot. Yet, the keypad on the outside still worked and opened the door. The horn also worked. The slight disconnection of the battery for a few seconds was sufficient to bring every back to life again. Makes me feel like a stuck relay, but did not find any relay that controls the dead functions only while keeping the others running. 

• Like 1

After re-reading your several posts here, it seems that you're describing a vehicle that's not initially recognizing its rightful keyfob as being authorized, until after you very briefly interrupt battery power to the entire system, at which point that same keyfob commands the entire system to life.

Without an authorized keyfob present, most of the conditions you describe are normal: exterior keypad is functional and unlocks/locks doors, alarm sounds when door is unlocked with emergency key & exterior keypad silences the alarm, horn works. The non-working interior door switches are puzzling, though.

But, you mention a distinct lack of gauge cluster messages, so your Edge did not respond with 'No Key Detected'.

Looking through Keyfob / PATS-related diagnostics, I found this...

image.png.228243219a352b9a6aa0964f1a0ac5c3.png

Did you happen to notice if the button's LED was flashing ? 

Or otherwise, take note if there is a 'next time'.

Step 4 is...

image.png.558a73cdb3e4c16a5ec0871fc9fffda3.png

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 11:40 PM, Haz said:

Omar: Below are PDF download links & JPG image files from sections of the 2016 Edge Workshop Manual relating to P2610 Diagnostic Trouble Code and Steering Column Lock Module...

@Haz

How expensive is this type of service manual, and is it available to the general public?

I've got a DVD service manual for my BMW motorcycle and it's the type of quality that you often post here, search feature and hyperlinks etc. - I'd love to buy something like that for my Edge and my wife's Mustang.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

While my source is Ford's secure online website for dealership service technicians, it's public equivalent is marketed through Helm on a CD-ROM for $205 + 7.95 standard shipping with state sales tax collected only for MI, CA, GA & WI addresses.

Helm Service Information Manual links: 2017 Edge, 2015 Mustang.

This online seller provides an image and listing of information categories contained in the same Ford Service Information Manuals they offer at a price higher than Helm's.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

Thanks again @Haz

13 hours ago, Haz said:

The non-working interior door switches are puzzling, though.

But, you mention a distinct lack of gauge cluster messages, so your Edge did not respond with 'No Key Detected'.

Did you happen to notice if the button's LED was flashing ? 

• The non-working interior switches might be due to the "Inhibit Switches" function I had enabled using ForScan that is supposed to disable the interior switched when locked. I have now disabled it to see/test if the issue happens again.
  • Yes. There was no cluster messages. Completely blank. I just made a test (normal condition) to enter my vehicle using the keypad only (keyfob away from vehicle) and it would show the mileage in the cluster once the driver door is open. Pressing the ignition start button (keyfob still away) will get a "No Key Detected" message in the cluster.
  • When the issue was happening, the start button was not flashing.

Next time the issue happens, I'll try to connect the OBDLink MX OBD adapter and see if can get any readings. Also I'll try tapping on the relays/fuse boxes to see if it makes a difference before disconnecting the battery. Visually, the relays look ok. Also, between the first time the issue happened, till the last times, the battery has been replaced, so that is out of the equation. 

• 3 weeks later...

Circling back to equip you with "No Power in ON - Push Button Ignition Switch" Pinpoint tests that were touched upon in earlier post, and the wiring diagrams with supporting connector info...

Good luck!

No Power in ON - Push Button Ignition Switch Pinpoint Tests - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Passive Start-Keyless Start Wiring Diagram - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Starter Circuits Wiring Diagram - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Start Control Unit Connector C2195 Details - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Start Control Unit Connector C2195 Location Illustration - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Start Control Unit Ground Circuit G200 Location Illustration - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Start Control Unit Ground Circuit G200 Location Illustration Looking Forward - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) Connector C2280G Details - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) Connector C2280H Details - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Removal and Installation 2.7L EcoBoost - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Connector Location Illustration - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Connector C175B Details - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Connector C1551B Details - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Connector C1551E Details - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Connector C1551E Location Illustration - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

So, had the issue happen again a few days ago. This time I was remote starting while I was looking at the vehicle, the hazards flashed once (for the lock button press) then nothing.

The keypad entry worked, same as before. So I tryed tapping on the relays/fuse boxes in the Engine compartment and under the dash, nothing happened.

Also, tried to connect using ForScan. the strange thing is that it connected to the "PCM", but not to the Body Control Module. Normally, with the ignition off it is the other way around. So now I am thinking it is from the Body Control module. Screenshots attached.

Will see how this goes. Of course, as usual, quick disconnect/reconnect of the battery and the car started up fine.

With Issue happening.jpg

Normal ignition off.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just a follow up, the issue never re-occurred. Only things done since the last time it happened that I remember that might affect it, are a battery disconnect for about 40 days I was on travel in Nov/Dec 2022 and then got the battery replaced in August 2023 (normal no start due to weak battery).