Anyone use this to lock their gas port?

My 2015 Titanium has that special fuel port and this doesn't seem to be compatible.

8U5Z-9C268-B 1X / 4928117 (Outer Package Part Number)

8U5A-9C268-AC (Inner Packaging Part Number)

Local Ford Parts Department was kind of smug when I picked it up ... said no one can steal gas from the Edge port as it is designed to keep someone from doing so. Sort of laughed at me for buying it, and didn't explain anything else. Of course, I did purchase it online, for pickup at the local Ford Dealer

I'm concerned about vandalism; someone putting something in my tank.

IMG_20220309_223802053~2.jpg

IMG_20220309_231255970~2.jpg

Edited by billycar
Added Inner Packaging Number, Inner<=>Outer

What is special about your gas fill? Is it the kind that doesn't have a gas cap?

Checking on-line at RockAuto, it looks like the correct Motorcraft part number for a 2015 edge is:  8L3Z9030E, FC1062, $34.99. (Color is black for gasoline.)

This is the only locking cap shown for the 3.5 L engine.

First, I regret that I did not look at the compatibility of the specific part number to your 2015 Edge Titanium, which the review website, when configured for 2015 Edge, says is not compatible.

Ford's online Accessories catalog shows the 8U5Z-9C268-B Locking Fuel Plug as fitting only 2010-2014 Edge...

FITS THESE VEHICLES

Ford Edge 2010-2014

Ford Escape Hybrid 2010-2012

Ford Escape 2009-2012

Ford Expedition 2010-2017

Ford Explorer 2008-2019

Ford F-150 2009-2014

Ford Fiesta 2011-2019

Ford Flex 2009-2019

Ford Focus 2012-2018

Ford Fusion 2010-2012

Ford Mustang 2010-2014

Ford Taurus 2010-2019

Lincoln MKS 2009-2016

Lincoln MKT 2010-2018

Lincoln MKX 2011-2014

Lincoln MKZ 2010-2011

Lincoln Navigator 2010-2017

Similarly, Ford's online Parts catalog configured for 2015 Edge indicates the 8U5Z-9C268-B Locking Fuel Plug...

Alert icon  This part does not match your vehicle.

Because you personally entered the order online, and the packaging states "This package cannot be returned if opened", I don't expect you could obtain a refund.

Once again, I regret not having previously done this research.

Good luck!

Not a problem. I checked compatibility and saw it didn't fit 

Maybe I can find someone to take this one some day 

Still looking ...

Thx!

PS I was mislead by looking at the same plug on different sites. Not all show compatibility, so I made a bad assumption about the one I ordered from Ford Accessories ...

Live and Learn, More & More

Edited by billycar
Mislead by Multiple Site Listings

Well ... that's the one I tried ... It stops fitting the Edges at 2014.

My 2015 has slits on the sides that a flat arm rotating will slip into to lock.

This one, perhaps:

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku-ymm/2015-ford-edge/BU5Z-9C268-A.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAg6yRBhBNEiwAeVyL0BOzkDOR-b72teSYhycyJbX4SLBiV-GUxKDs_4baQWrkP7KD0EM_6RoCFjgQAvD_BwE

I just can't get past the $50 price tag ...

bu5z-9c268-a-1.jpeg

bu5z-9c268-a-2.jpeg

Well crap! I didnt look at the fitment (was lookinh at 2015 and the buggers snuck that one in on me. Sorry).

Think this is the same one you found, half the price. 

https://www.fordgenuineautoparts.com/oem-parts/ford-locking-fuel-plug-8u5z9c268b?origin=pla&amp;gclid=CjwKCAiAg6yRBhBNEiwAeVyL0M2PIXY6TLG6nkkwfwGMi3ol5rd84eZIqzT0bdiRhcjclCI0HRJqEBoChCEQAvD_BwE

Shows through 2016 but now states doesn’t fit.

Found yours on other sites and showing "not available". $50 bites but lists for over $60. If you're going to get one, may want to grab it when you can find it. Everything is only going to get more expensive from here on out. Just seen where some people are now paying $7.55 for s gallon of gas. (gurnt)

More likely it's just because some people are learly about having a "open" hole leading to their gas tank. However,  even without it, the tank is still protected. 

Personally I never liked the idea of a capless fill. I like a cap that screws on and makes me feel that my tank is closed. I can see it, crank it down tight and it's no big deal to remove it when refueling.

Just another needless "feature" IMO.

• Like 2

Back during the Oil Crisis's of 1973 and 1979 , when fuel prices spiked and gas station line-ups & criminal fuel siphoning were prevalent, many of us Boomers added lock cylinders to the fuel doors of our vehicles.

Using a hole saw to drill the fuel door was a little daunting, because of its permanence, but the added cam-locking arm provided peace-of-mind and prevented fuel theft.

Judging from your photos, a shorter depth weather-resistant lock cylinder may work for you, though it might require eliminating the latch-unlatch post that your Edge's fuel door appears to include.

These are available online, or you may find a suitable solution at your local hardware store and/or nationwide big-box home supply center, if you would choose to undertake this sort of project...

51933190347_25c77ecbbb_o.jpg

Below are PDF links to dimensional drawings of the above-referenced lock cylinders.

Good luck!

13105A71_Weather-Resistant Cam Lock.PDF

13105A72_Weather-Resistant Cam Lock.PDF

I guess I'm the only one surprised that the fuel door doesn't lock when the truck is locked?  My coworker said someone drilled a hole in his daughters gas tank....Found the leak when his daughter called him and said the car wouldn't start despite putting gas in it before parking for the night..... He gets to her house with his emergency can.....poured gas in....gas poured out.

I said aren't you glad that we have locking gas doors? He has a Nautilus. He said our doors do not lock.... I had to go check for myself..... SMDH Definitely learned something new today.

I wouldn't even bother with the locking gas cap.  Compare the price of R&R a new or used gas tank....  If a thief can siphon my gas without getting caught, they won the day! Just leave my gas tank alone!

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

I guess I'm the only one surprised that the fuel door doesn't lock when the truck is locked?

actually, I was very surprised ... with all the design and technology that went into the design of the 2015 Edge Titanium ... an Achilles Heel of sorts ... I'm leery someone will put something into the tank ...

continuing my search for a reasonable solution ... not ruling out the most recent suggestion ... I just can't stop laughing 

Livin' Life on the Edge

I'm also wondering about spell check ...

52 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

I guess I'm the only one surprised that the fuel door doesn't lock when the truck is locked?  My coworker said someone drilled a hole in his daughters gas tank....Found the leak when his daughter called him and said the car wouldn't start despite putting gas in it before parking for the night..... He gets to her house with his emergency can.....pours gas in....gas ours out.

no, you're not the only one. i was very surprised at this as well.

drilling holes in gas tanks to steal gas has been in the news here as of late (british columbia). that and stealing catalytic converters. it doesn't seem to end.