Edge ST Leaking rear shock, again...

So our Edge ST has another leaking rear factory shock.  This same one was replaced a year and 2 weeks ago under factory warranty.  Naturally it's now a few months out of factory warranty and the dealer says the 1 year shock replacement warranty has expired.  No way I'm giving them a dollar to replace again with the same defective garbage.  Got a quote from a local shop for $300 for one replacement (recommend both rears so $600).  Seems kind of high but I honestly don't know.  Also looking at getting the Bilstein B6's myself and having them installed somewhere since I don't have a lift or much experience.  Part of that quote is new/replacement shock mounts and mounting nuts.($60 for the mount and $15 for the nut).  Are those required/recommended or just fluff in the quote? Car is just over 3 years old and around 28k in miles.  Thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Umm there are no mounts or nuts for the back. That quote seems crazy high for literally jack up car, possibly pull wheel off, unbolt 3 bolts, put in new shock and reverse process. If it was the fronts then it would make more sense.

If you do B6's  then do all 4 though since the dynamics of them are quite different but really doubt you'll regret it. I love mine and are way more durable and much better warranty.

Figure Motorcraft rear shocks around $60-$70 ea. Figure around ~1/2 hour labor. $600 is ridiculous. 

Motorcraft front struts go for around ~%110 each. Figure strur bearings around ~$25 each. Figure 2 hours labor. 

(They're probably quiting front struts and bearings. Nuts/bolts are usually not changed unless they're badly rusted or defective.)

• Like 1

Thank you, just wanted to verify I wasn't crazy.  I'm going to avoid the factory shocks since I've had 2 failures in a span of a year.  Found some Bilstein rear's at a decent price. If I had a lift I'd probably tackle it myself, doesn't look too complicated for just the rears.  Sadly, not sure how it would go with just jack stands.  Time to shop around for a more reasonable mechanic/shop I guess.

Are you certain that the dealer actually put in Motorcraft shocks? It's common for dealers to substitute NAPA parts to save money. NAPA parts are a lot cheaper, easier to get (and junk imo). This is especially true for warranty work.

I always specify the dealer must supply Motorcraft parts. Even if there's a multi-day delay to gey the parts.

I'll bet they supplied aftermarket shocks, probably NAPA, and thats why they failed so soon.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:15 PM, enigma-2 said:

Are you certain that the dealer actually put in Motorcraft shocks? It's common for dealers to substitute NAPA parts to save money. NAPA parts are a lot cheaper, easier to get (and junk imo). This is especially true for warranty work.

I'll know when I yank em, but even if they did, the original equipment one failed at 20k miles which is still really early.  OEMs cutting dimes and corners everywhere it seems :(  Still can't find a decent mechanic anywhere though, kinda nuts.  

• 1 year later...

I have a 2019 Edge ST, and after bringing it in to the Ford dealer with only 33,500 miles, to get a clunking noise checked in the rear of the vehicle, I was informed that my rear shocks leaked and were shot. They also need to replace to top mount of the shocks.  I was shocked when the dealer said it will cost $800+ dollars for two shocks. 

According to Amazon's website, the shocks that enigma-2 listed are not for an ST model. If you're going with the OE replacement which are Bilstein  you probably won't find them for $45. This is what I found on Amazon when I looked up my 2019 ST:   Amazon.com: Bilstein B4 OE Replacement 15-19 Ford Edge Rear Twintube Shock Absorber (19-283081) : Automotive