On 3/28/2022 at 2:29 AM, Woodboss53 said:

I have a 2014 Edge SEL and the headlights are crap. It seems like when I turn them on, something is blocking the beam. They shine about 3 feet. Almost like I have only the parking lights on. What's going on with them. Can't drive it at night.

i had a 2016 with stock headlamps. the headlight performance was so bad that i traded it in for a 2020 ST with LED headlamps. Those are great.

I live in a very small town and the drive on the dark highway from the main city (Victoria, BC) at night was harrowing. 

i first tried better bulbs but there was barely any noticeable difference. then i put in the slightly more powerful bulbs that you have to hack to get them to fit. it was many years ago so i don't remember the details so you'll have to search this forum. there are a few threads about lightbulb hacks.

i was thinking about putting in HID or LED bulbs but didn't want to go through the installation hassle and possibility of poor performance so i just got rid of the car.

Edited by ben senise
  • Like 1

Thank you Ben for your insight. The problem I have is I can't afford to get rid of the car, so I have to find some solution. I did have the lights adjusted by a body shop and that helped quite a bit, but they still are not very bright. I was thinking of going with an after market inside unit with LED bulbs.

As you're driving a 2014, I'll bet your bulbs are weak. (All bulbs get weak with use).

I found the bulb has a lot to do with seeing. These bulbs dramatically improved my night vision over the OEM bulbs. Rated at 100% over OEM bulbs (Philips also has more powerful bulbs. out now, rated at 130% over OEM, haven't tried them, but probably will next bulb change).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OIESK/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_ANGJRG7A83X13W3GD609?psc=1

Recommend you stay away from the Sylvania Silverstars. (Or any other bulb that has a bluish tint. Real waste of money).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 5:29 AM, Woodboss53 said:

I have a 2014 Edge SEL and the headlights are crap. It seems like when I turn them on, something is blocking the beam. They shine about 3 feet. Almost like I have only the parking lights on. What's going on with them. Can't drive it at night.

If they shine about 3 feet the odds are really high that the bulbs are not installed properly.  Someone probably missed a tab and they're both at an angle.  That said, 11-14 Edge's have very weak headlights if they came with halogen bulbs.  I've run Hids in my 2011 for years but I suppose there are some good LED options out there by now. 

• Like 1

a) poor bulbs

b ) poor headamp aim

c) badly oxidized headlamp lens

d) cheap LED bulbs (yes still out there in droves)

that said, these headlamps do have a shutter mechanism to work the low and high beams off the same bulb. make sure the shutter is working properly. we have had some that failed entirely and fell in front of the bulb, obscuring ANY function.

• Like 1