2014: Sequential LED for side mirror (turn signal Amber) not found

Hi gents!

I am writing from Sao Paulo/Brazil (anyone here? ?); Ford Edge AWD 3.5L V6 happy user (so far), the 2014 model that supposedly was imported from Canada.

I had a problem (wife ?, what else?) with the driver turn signal (mirror stripe) in the past, original one, and today it is almost dead with only 3-4 working LEDs.

Prices in Brazil are an absurd and I tried to look outside, even a dynamic LED system, but I have not found nothing; neither dynamic nor traditional. Only 2015 or newer models replacements.

My questions are:

1. should a 2015 (or newer) model work in the 2014 one?
  2. does it exists a compatible model from Focus, any Ford pickup, Fusion, Explorer... that I could use?

Thanks everyone who make this forum great!

right side.jpg

11 hours ago, Carrus Magnificus said:
  • should a 2015 (or newer) model work in the 2014 one?
  • does it exists a compatible model from Focus, any Ford pickup, Fusion, Explorer... that I could use?

As far as i know, the answer is no to both questions. Also it seems the signal light is not sold by Ford separately, only comes with the complete mirror.

Judging by the body-color door handle in your mirror photo, I expect your Edge is an SEL, Limited, or Sport.

Looking at your Edge's possible mirror attributes provides a similar judgement, with the driver memory capability being the only likely feature either included or not included in your existing mirror...

52143523139_7045216a9e_b.jpg

Since you mention replacement cost as being absurd in Brazil, one path for you may be to buy a new Ford OEM mirror with the LED turn signal indicator, but without the BLIS monitoring mirror face, and then change over the BLIS-capable wiring harness and mirror face from your existing mirror into the new mirror shell, keeping the new power mirror motor, presuming it has driver memory function, if your Edge requires it.  You then could also remove the body-color cap from the top/front of your existing mirror and install it on the new mirror shell, eliminating the need for painting the new mirror.

This Ford OEM mirror assembly is candidate for this cost-saving strategy.  Its cost is surprising low (by U.S. standards), if the power/puddle lamp/driver memory/heated/LED turn signal feature list is accurate...

52142262487_e8422fa814_b.jpg

It's worth noting the risk that something could be broken during the changing over of components from your Edge's existing mirror to new Ford OEM mirror.

The other path you could choose would be to buy an aftermarket mirror assembly with the full list of features your Edge's existing mirror has.  Via the Forum's Message system, I have sent you information on a such an aftermarket mirror sold by a very reputable U.S. online seller who offers shipping to Brazil and displays pricing in your country's currency.

So it's up to you to weigh the costs and risks associated with each path.

Below are PDF download links to sections of the 2014 Edge Workshop Manual related to Power Mirrors, as well as to a 2014 Edge reference document that will explain all other features of your 2014 Ford Edge.

Good luck!

Exterior Mirror - Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Mirrors - Exploded View - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Mirror Glass - Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Mirror Cover - Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Mirror Motor - Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Mirror Control Switch - Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

2014 Ford Edge Source Book.pdf

Edited by Haz

3 hours ago, Haz said:

Judging by the body-color door handle in your mirror photo, I expect your Edge is an SEL, Limited, or Sport.

Looking at your Edge's possible mirror attributes provides a similar judgement, with the driver memory capability being the only likely feature either included or not included in your existing mirror...

52143523139_7045216a9e_b.jpg

Since you mention replacement cost as being absurd in Brazil, one path for you may be to buy a new Ford OEM mirror with the LED turn signal indicator, but without the BLIS monitoring mirror face, and then change over the BLIS-capable wiring harness and mirror face from your existing mirror into the new mirror shell, keeping the new power mirror motor, presuming it has driver memory function, if your Edge requires it.  You then could also remove the body-color cap from the top/front of your existing mirror and install it on the new mirror shell, eliminating the need for painting the new mirror.

This Ford OEM mirror assembly is candidate for this cost-saving strategy.  Its cost is surprising low (by U.S. standards), if the power/puddle lamp/driver memory/heated/LED turn signal feature list is accurate...

52142262487_e8422fa814_b.jpg

It's worth noting the risk that something could be broken during the changing over of components from your Edge's existing mirror to new Ford OEM mirror.

The other path you could choose would be to buy an aftermarket mirror assembly with the full list of features your Edge's existing mirror has.  Via the Forum's Message system, I have sent you information on a such an aftermarket mirror sold by a very reputable U.S. online seller who offers shipping to Brazil and displays pricing in your country's currency.

So it's up to you to weigh the costs and risks associated with each path.

Below are PDF download links to sections of the 2014 Edge Workshop Manual related to Power Mirrors, as well as to a 2014 Edge reference document that will explain all other features of your 2014 Ford Edge.

Good luck!

Exterior Mirror - Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Mirrors - Exploded View - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Mirror Glass - Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Mirror Cover - Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Mirror Motor - Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Mirror Control Switch - Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

2014 Ford Edge Source Book.pdf

Haz, thank you very much again for the information you provided and those insightful PDFs you shared!

My Edge is the 2014 AWD Limited version. Based in the PDFs information, it has the Vision Package, including (only related with mirroring):

• BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert
  • Light-emitting diode (LED) turn signal mirror indicators.

... by the way, never mentioned such package in Brazil.

What amazes me is that the LED turn signal is not replaceable and I am obligated to change the whole mirror. Honestly, I though that Brazil's Ford was trying to make change the mirror only to make me waste more money than needed.

But thanks to your in-deep help now I have a clear idea about how to proceed!

Just a final question: do you know if there is any specification document with the LED turn signal measures? Something like a CAD view?

Thanks, Haz!

Sorry, I don't have access to any dimensional data on the LED turn signal component, or any CAD document.

Because I was focused on new mirror sellers and their pricing, I have neglected to ask you these few questions...

• Have you verified that power is being delivered through the harness to the mirror's LED strip when the left turn signal is operating
  • Have you applied continuous power to the LED strip, via appropriate pins in the mirror's connector, to verify that it is absolutely not working?
  • Have you used a diagnostic scan tool to see if any turn-signal related Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are stored in your Edge's electrical modules?

Below are download links to wiring diagram, wiring connector circuit details, and the connector location illustration...

Good luck!

Exterior Rear View Mirror, LH Side with Memory - Wiring Diagram - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Exterior Rear View Mirror, LH Side - Connector C516 Circuit Details.pdf

Exterior Rear View Mirror, LH Side - Connector C516 Location Diagram.jpg

Edited by Haz
  • Thanks 1

This may or may not be useful, but would an universal assembly work? It's cheap enough ($17.99 USD) and as it ships from China, should also ship to Brazil. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384633138493?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=m_gmg0f6sps&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Snv36mbbRk2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY