Safety Recall 22S43 - Certain 2015 - 2018 Edge + Other Models -- Transmission Shifter Cable Bushing

Haz

Believe it or not, today I faced this exact issue. Left from work to lunch, parked normally. When returning to my Edge, started normally, then when I shifted out of Park to Drive, the shifter felt weirdly light the. Car didn't move, shifted back to Park but it got stuck there. Indicator in the cluster showed it was neutral even though shifter was in Park now. Now it refused to shift out of Park, figured it was the brake-shift interlock not releasing, due to transmission being actually in neutral as indicated. Released the shift interlock as per the owners manual (was really difficult) and when it finally released the shifter was light through the gears like it didn't actually shift anything.

Got it towed to the dealer, thankfully it was stuck in neutral, so it was easy to get on the tow truck. Now waiting to hear from the dealer tomorrow. 

Edit: reading the recall description carefully, it is different from my case. In my case the indicator was showing it in Neutral and I did get a warning that the transmission is not in Park when turned off. 

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2

Omar: With you providing them the Recall details, at least they can inspect & ensure there is no issue with the cable bushing, and/or evaluate if the cable bushing is a contributing factor to your Edge's symptoms.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How difficult would this be for me to check if I need this or not?

The PDF @Haz attached shows it under one hour labor for the repair.

My dealership has in the past given me the recall parts for me to DIY and registered the recall as complete, which I might do for this.

Edited by 1004ron

2 hours ago, akirby said:

If the bushing isn’t damaged or missing then no work is required. 

As per my understanding, the recall is to replace the bushing with a new one made of a different material and install a protective cap so it does not deteriorate and cause the roll away risk. So they will replace the bushing under this recall if if the current one is not currently damaged. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Because you're personally doing the Recall repair work, it would be nice if your dealer found a way to grant you the half-hour of claimable Labor in FordPass Reward points...

image.png.eae7f1259ed1ae433f75475537b1b712.png

image.png.e50fbd0458a28b9b74b3cdcbc22f747b.png

I'd expect them to submit for administering your Edge's Recall fulfillment, but not for the half-hour Labor you are supplying.

I believe you mentioned previously, that they need the parts you remove, in order to technically complete their Inspection sign-off process...

image.png.d2086b842c0bd0cabfcf53bb09518525.png

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

I just installed these parts last night on my 2018 Ford Edge. Pretty straightforward. The airbox requires a quick tug upwards to release the two plastic bulges that sit in two rubber doughnuts after removing the two bolts from the crash structure. The shifter housing retaining clip took a few minutes to figure out how to get it to release: there are two dimples that stick out and hold it in place. The one on the right can be pressed with your finger and then you can sort of twist (counter-clockwise) the yellow thing to release the dimple on the left. I used a plastic panel removal tool to pop off the connector from the transmission. I went with the 5mm and 15mm socket and large wrench method to press out the old bushing. Worked great! Releasing the adjustable end also took me a while. I found that you can slide the green locking tab with one hand and and then press the white clamp from the backside with flat plastic pry tool to be effective. Took me an hour, but I could do it in 20 minutes now that I know all the "tricks".

shift-bushing.jpg

• Like 2

Hmm. I went to my local dealer today with photos of my installation (before and after), the old bushing in hand, the parts packages that I used, and my VIN. They said they can't mark a recall complete unless they do the work. No exceptions. I understand that from a liability perspective I guess: what if some moron did it wrong and the dealer marks it complete and the vehicle pops out of park due to a bodged installation and the vehicle causes damage to property or a person. Still, don't I have the right to repair my own vehicle? My local dealer has screwed up my other car and I really don't like other people working on my car; plus, the time to get the car there and then pick it up whenever they happen to get to it is a major inconvenience. With the airbox out, I took the opportunity to clean the area in/around the area..something I'm sure the local mechanics wouldn't bother doing. Surely there's a way to mark the recall as complete by an end-user?

• 1004ron changed the title to Safety Recall 22S43 - Certain 2015 - 2018 Edge + Other Models -- Transmission Shifter Cable Bushing