Tpms issue.

Ces177

Hi

Trying to keep my Ford Edge 2015 2.0 sel awd up :)  Currently the dash is telling me it can’t find the left front tpms …. Had my repair guy rotate tires and asked to have the tpms checked out. Got the car back, left front still showing no response.  Kinda pissed they didn’t tell me.  Apparently the changed the tpms in the tire , rotated and called it a day.  So, got a tpms tester.  It’s reading all tires.  But apparently the car isn’t reading the left front.  
     So is it a receiver issue?  My repair manuals aren’t going into detail on this.  Thanks!  

42 minutes ago, Ces177 said:

Hi

Trying to keep my Ford Edge 2015 2.0 sel awd up :)  Currently the dash is telling me it can’t find the left front tpms …. Had my repair guy rotate tires and asked to have the tpms checked out. Got the car back, left front still showing no response.  Kinda pissed they didn’t tell me.  Apparently the changed the tpms in the tire , rotated and called it a day.  So, got a tpms tester.  It’s reading all tires.  But apparently the car isn’t reading the left front.  
     So is it a receiver issue?  My repair manuals aren’t going into detail on this.  Thanks!  

What TPMS tester did you use?

Maybe @Haz can help with info onn testing the cars receivers.

• Like 1

From the 2015 Edge Workshop Manual, as PDF download links below...

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - System Operation and Component Description - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - Diagnosis and Testing - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - Component Location - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

The Workshop Manual does not provide diagnostic procedures specific to the Radio Transceiver Module (RTM), but does offer evaluation of the RTM in the context of the involved component --  in this case, within the TPMS diagnostics linked above.

If your diagnostic efforts progress to requiring electrical connector details, just let me know and I will provide them.

If your efforts progress to the RTM...

Radio Transceiver Module (RTM) - Removal and Installation - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Headliner Lowering - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 1

Ok.  Read over the pdf diagnostics.   
decided to go thru the relearn setup and use the Autel tester to trigger each tire. 

the tire that wasn’t responding, is now. Then I go around the car triggering each tpms…. But when I get to the rear left tire, the tester triggers and reads the data, but the car doesn’t pick that up.  
When I went thru is begore manually triggering by letting air out, the left front wasn’t being read.  

so … the car doesn’t finish the relearn procedure 

ideas :)?? 

It sounds like the wheel with the bad unit was moved to the rear left (and is still bad). If they put in a new unit, they probably used aftermarket. When I had new senders put in my MKX, I talked to the dealer about Motorcraft or aftermarket.  They told me they have problems with around 10% failure with aftermarket (most often failing within a year). Could be the aftermarket unit isn't sending a strong enough signal. (?)

I believe if one sensor fails, the entire relearn process fails. So the system may still "think" the bad sending unit is on drivers front (as it hasn't been retained from the rotation).

• Like 1

Similar to enigma-2's comment, from among the 2015 Edge Workshop Manual documents...

Training Sensors in a Different Order

If the first sensor fails the TPMS training procedure, the BCM aborts the entire procedure. Starting the training procedure at a different wheel is a technique that can be used to determine if the remaining sensors can train to the module. This can help save time determining if one sensor is damaged, other sensors are having concerns or the BCM is experiencing training difficulties with a certain TPMS sensor location.

and also, with emphasis added...

TPMS Function

It is not necessary to train the sensors after a tire rotation on vehicles with the same front and rear tire pressures however, the BCM cannot recognize the sensor identifiers have been moved to different positions and retains the original position information for each sensor.

The manual for your TPMS Tester details its vehicle model-specific, internally guided activation procedure, but it's less detailed about performing a relearn/train procedure and whether the tool provides the same wheel-position-by-wheel-position prompts to ensure that your starting point location is always the same.

Regardless of if the Tester prompts you or if you're certain you always begin with the left front, perhaps you can perform a relearn/train beginning with the left front, and take note of the tire your Edge does not receive, and the perform a second relearn/train beginning with the right front tire, in order to see if the not-received sensor location rotates virtually to a different corner. Afterward,  of course, you'll need to relearn/train back to your normal starting point.

Other strategies are in the previously linked... Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - System Operation and Component Description - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:22 AM, Ces177 said:

Hi

Wonder what sensor brand they used, and if it could be a compatibility issue with the vehicle, but the tool still reads it?

14 hours ago, Haz said:

Training Sensors in a Different Order

If the first sensor fails the TPMS training procedure, the BCM aborts the entire procedure. Starting the training procedure at a different wheel is a technique that can be used to determine if the remaining sensors can train to the module. This can help save time determining if one sensor is damaged, other sensors are having concerns or the BCM is experiencing training difficulties with a certain TPMS sensor location.

I understand this and have not read anything to the contrary, however, in my testing it seems the Edge will "Auto learn" the tire positions. I previously made a short video showing it. Link to post.

• Like 1

Appreciate everyone’s comments and energies ??   

My odb tester actually has a tpms function. So I noticed a com error and it says tpms sensor not working.  Thought that was pretty neat.  

im going to replace the front left and see what happens.   

Again, thanks a lot !!! Will let you guys know what happens. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:22 AM, Ces177 said:

, got a tpms tester.  It’s reading all tires.  But apparently the car isn’t reading the left front.  

57 minutes ago, Ces177 said:

Appreciate everyone’s comments and energies ??   

My odb tester actually has a tpms function. So I noticed a com error and it says tpms sensor not working.  Thought that was pretty neat.  

im going to replace the front left and see what happens.   

17 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Wonder what sensor brand they used, and if it could be a compatibility issue with the vehicle, but the tool still reads it?

I believe my suspicion is correct, the tire shop fitted an incompatible sensor based on the fact that your handheld shows its working but the OBD device says its bad.

• Like 1