need more power on the wireless charging pad

i was worried about this but went ahead anyway.

i finally managed to snag a "motorola" MA1 wireless adapter for android auto. it works perfectly.

when i used my pixel 5, i plugged it in to a USB cable and it charged fairly quickly. now when i use AA wirelessly, i lose a bit of battery power even when the phone is on the wireless charging pad. i just drove an hour using googlemaps and listening to tidal and i lost a few percentage points of my battery. not a huge deal and i could deal with this on a longer trip by plugging in the phone like i used to.

i did a quick search online and nothing popped out so i thought i'd post something here before i go to bed so that tomorrow i will wake up and magically find the solution to this problem here on this forum. ?

i have to verify but i think my phone can charge wirelessly at up to 10w. i'm guessing that the Qi pad in the edge is 5w. i'm going to look for a way to increase that power. an updated component? a hack? i'm open to suggestions.

From the 2020 Edge Workshop Manual...

Wireless Accessory Charging Module (WACM) - Overview

The WACM is a 5 Watt wireless power transmitter designed to energize a secondary coil that may already be equipped in a secondary device (smart phone), or as an added accessory (wireless charging phone sleeve). The WACM supports wireless charging of the Wireless Power Consortium’s (WPC) Qi, pronounced “Chee".

The WACM is a powered at all time node from fused battery and performs network management on HS-CAN3 . Wireless charging status is provided as a CAN signal on the HS-CAN3 .

The BCM provides a protected switch to battery input to the WACM when an interior passive key search is in progress to disable the wireless charging feature. This is to prevent possible interference with the passive key when placed in close proximity to the WACM during a charge session of a secondary device. A redundant CAN signal is also sent by the BCM in addition to the protected switch to battery input.

Good luck!

As much as I enjoyed the convenience of the AA wireless module, I stopped using it a while back. Using the module in conjunction with wireless charging put too much stress (heat) on the phones battery for my liking. Battery temperatures came down to low 30's from mid 40's (C) using a wired connection.

My compromise solution was to fit my devices with magnetic USB quick connectors. USB C Magnetic Adapters 

Some things to consider if battery longevity is a concern.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, handfiler said:

As much as I enjoyed the convenience of the AA wireless module, I stopped using it a while back. Using the module in conjunction with wireless charging put too much stress (heat) on the phones battery for my liking. Battery temperatures came down to low 30's from mid 40's (C) using a wired connection.

My compromise solution was to fit my devices with magnetic USB quick connectors. USB C Magnetic Adapters 

Some things to consider if battery longevity is a concern.

i have never seen magnetic connectors like that. excellent idea. i think i'll grab one of those.

i used to have a wired dock but i got worried that the cops would bust me for it since they are really cracking down on distracted driving. they've busted people with their phones sitting in the console while plugged in. not even using them.

just from a technical point of view, i'd still like to know if it's possible to up the wattage though.

3 hours ago, ben senise said:

i have never seen magnetic connectors like that. excellent idea. i think i'll grab one of those.

i used to have a wired dock but i got worried that the cops would bust me for it since they are really cracking down on distracted driving. they've busted people with their phones sitting in the console while plugged in. not even using them.

just from a technical point of view, i'd still like to know if it's possible to up the wattage though.

If your not in a rush you can get them from AliExpress for 1/3 the cost. USB 4 Magnet Adapter That's where I purchased mine. Delivery takes about 3 weeks.

• Like 2

I have used one of these too, pretty good. Only issue I had was it sticking out of bottom sometimes made it Rocky on my bed side wireless charger and big bumps in car sometimes caused disconnect. Magnets pretty strong though and much better than wireless pad.

PS forgot, if you use a phone case, you may have to modify the charger opening to accommodate 

Edited by MLTEdge
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ford is acknowledging possible wireless charging compatibility issues with iPhone 12 & 13...

SSM 50982   2018-2022 Various Ford and Lincoln Vehicles - Wireless Charging Pad Inoperative/Slow Charging - iPhone 12/13 Users

Some 2018-2022 Ford/Lincoln vehicles equipped with a wireless charging pad may exhibit one of the following if the customer is using a Magsafe iPhone (iPhone 12 or 13): slow charging, inoperative, notification that the phone has been mispositioned on the charging pad and/or the phone charging icon in the center screen display is not showing. This may be due to a compatibility issue between the customer's phone and the wireless accessory charging module (WACM) that may make it difficult for Ford and Lincoln vehicles to wirelessly charge these specific phones. The phone can still be charged using the USB cable if the vehicle experiences the above symptoms. If the customer is using a Magsafe iPhone such as an iPhone 12 or 13, verify the wireless charging pad works with a Qi certified phone prior to any part replacements.

Good luck!

SSM 50982 was first displayed yesterday on the opening screen of Ford's secure (valid User ID & Password required) Professional Technician System website as an OASIS Broadcast Message, dated August 1, 2022...

428028646_OASISBroadcastMessage-SSM50982August12022.jpg.eed616a083c38c3badf8078bb57cc0c1.jpg

Since yesterday, additional OASIS messages have been added, so they will have to scroll down if they are looking for it on the PTS website opening screen. It is the third of three OASIS Broadcast Messages that are dated August 1, 2022...

1914815785_OASISBroadcastMessage-SSM50982August12022-ScreenCaptureFullText.thumb.jpg.d320f6688f220dd0c62ffb5b47c315f3.jpg

It is valid, and, if you provide this locating advice, they should easily find it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Whien connecting to your car for AA or Carplay wirelessly, it really is useless for anything but short trips. It sucks tons of power, and with, the screen on, Navigation running, and music playing, wireless chargers can't really pump out enough watts. Most loose power with this kind of draw, and when the phone heats up things get even worse. They are designed to use when phone not in use to get a charge. Very few devices even put out more than 12- 15 watts, and even then phone will probably over heat and shut off. Get the magnet or a right angle USB c, and leave the wireless charger for the passenger unless the want control of car entertainment.