New 2019+ Ford Edge Dashcam Adapter (Plug and Play)

Hey folks.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up. Dongar Technologies finally made a 5-PIN adapter for our Ford Edges. This allows you to quickly and easily run a dashcam off your rearview mirror power without having to use a wiretap.

I just did a full Install video of it here:

Hope it helps!

Edited by Vanquished
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 10:38 AM, ben senise said:

that's great info. thanks for making the video.

Np. I had another video with a wiretap but it was hard to see. I actually propped the camera up this time so I think it came out a lot better haha. Took probably 10 minutes to do it all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What year is your Edge?  We have a 2019 and I'm hoping this will work for it.  The Dongar site says 21+.   And this powers down as soon as the car is off and door is opened right?  (That's my issue with using the 12 volt sockets, they stayed powered for too long).

Edited by awmustang
clarification

17 hours ago, awmustang said:

What year is your Edge?  We have a 2019 and I'm hoping this will work for it.  The Dongar site says 21+.   And this powers down as soon as the car is off and door is opened right?  (That's my issue with using the 12 volt sockets, they stayed powered for too long).

Hey. I replied to the YouTube comment as well but I have a 2020. I think this should work for 2019+ or even earlier. I'd be shocked if it didn't work for a 2019 since it's virtually the same car as side from that little plastic door on the dash. You need to have a auto dimming mirror 

And yes. This is on/off with the car. I needed that feature too since I only drive my car 1 or 2 days a week lol

This reminds me of a simular discussion on p&p connectors discussed back in the spring of 2021. It centered around how to remove the cowling surrounding the mirror and the two (or three) different connectors used because of different mirrors. If I remember there was a five pin (or may have been six pin) and sixteen or eighreen pin. (Tried to use the search function but couldn't find it). 

On 8/8/2022 at 7:52 AM, Vanquished said:

Hey. I replied to the YouTube comment as well but I have a 2020. I think this should work for 2019+ or even earlier. I'd be shocked if it didn't work for a 2019 since it's virtually the same car as side from that little plastic door on the dash. You need to have a auto dimming mirror 

And yes. This is on/off with the car. I needed that feature too since I only drive my car 1 or 2 days a week lol

Thanks for that... I joined here so I could post my question but moderators have to approve posts of new members (smart policy).  So I tossed it up on YouTube too.

I did get the cover off so I could confirm the connector looked the same.  I think it does, though I wasn't able to get it unplugged.  It appears there is a clip to press down to release it but I wasn't able to unplug it.  Any tips for disconnecting the connector?

On 8/9/2022 at 7:40 PM, awmustang said:

Thanks for that... I joined here so I could post my question but moderators have to approve posts of new members (smart policy).  So I tossed it up on YouTube too.

I did get the cover off so I could confirm the connector looked the same.  I think it does, though I wasn't able to get it unplugged.  It appears there is a clip to press down to release it but I wasn't able to unplug it.  Any tips for disconnecting the connector?

Needlenose pliers was the answer.

On 8/13/2022 at 5:34 PM, awmustang said:

Needlenose pliers was the answer.

Sorry about that, didn't see your post. It should be pretty easy to get off, on mine the wire assembly can be pulled out of the little cradle thing on the windshield so you can get a better hold of it. Glad you got it to work though :)

On 8/9/2022 at 6:41 PM, enigma-2 said:

This reminds me of a simular discussion on p&p connectors discussed back in the spring of 2021. It centered around how to remove the cowling surrounding the mirror and the two (or three) different connectors used because of different mirrors. If I remember there was a five pin (or may have been six pin) and sixteen or eighreen pin. (Tried to use the search function but couldn't find it). 

So I had asked this question in another thread I think. Before this adapter I had a wiretap and needed to find put which cables to connect it to. I made a decidedly worse video of that install (it's really hard to film and also do the install lol)

I never really was able to make the wiretaps stick, I had to use electrical tape to hold them in place, the leads on the two taps I got were pretty thick though, it hink there is a company that makes wiretaps for dashcams (comes with those plugs and not usb) where the leads are like sewing pins so they go in securely, but I could be wrong 

Mirror tap comes with several size pins to fit any mirror connector. During the installation,  you choose the correct size (there's a chart on their website). You make have bought one of the Chinese knockoffs.

To secure the harness, it also comes with a plastic wire tie. I found It's more than adequate to secure the harness, including having my radar detector's   windshield mount fail; causing the detector to drop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 3:44 AM, enigma-2 said:

Mirror tap comes with several size pins to fit any mirror connector. During the installation,  you choose the correct size (there's a chart on their website). You make have bought one of the Chinese knockoffs.

To secure the harness, it also comes with a plastic wire tie. I found It's more than adequate to secure the harness, including having my radar detector's   windshield mount fail; causing the detector to drop.

Naw. Mine didn't come with any sizes, I'm sure they were too big but that's the only option I had. I bought a USB one with a capacitor since I didn't use it for a radar detector so the janky phone jack connector wasn't what I needed. Either way the dongar is much easier lol. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...