a few questions after purchasing Edge 2011

Hello everyone
I recently purchased a Ford Edge 2011 3.5 V6 SEL PLUS and I would appreciate it if you could help me with a few questions:
1. Is it mandatory to place the vehicle's remote control in the compartment between the seats or the tray under the screen or can it be anywhere in the vehicle? At the moment I can only start the car in one of the situations described above and not from anywhere in the car.

2. Remote start - unable to start the engine remotely. I press the lock button twice and immediately after that the start button but nothing happens.

3. Is it worth upgrading the multimedia system to SYNC 3?

Thank you very much and I hope you enjoy the car

1.Definitely check the battery. If the battery is not an issue perhaps you need to have your key correctly programed. Do you have more than one key?

2.Lock, start, start

3. Definitely is. Night and day difference and once you have fully upgraded you can use Android Auto or Carplay for infotainment and navigation.

On 8/31/2022 at 1:19 AM, yoni oppenhime said:

Hello everyone
I recently purchased a Ford Edge 2011 3.5 V6 SEL PLUS and I would appreciate it if you could help me with a few questions:
1. Is it mandatory to place the vehicle's remote control in the compartment between the seats or the tray under the screen or can it be anywhere in the vehicle? At the moment I can only start the car in one of the situations described above and not from anywhere in the car.

2. Remote start - unable to start the engine remotely. I press the lock button twice and immediately after that the start button but nothing happens.

3. Is it worth upgrading the multimedia system to SYNC 3?

Thank you very much and I hope you enjoy the car

1. The RFID in the key-fob does not use the battery. It is passive. The car has a transmitter that emits a radio signal. The RFID captures that signal and sends it back with a code. The energy for this is from the radio signal, not the battery. If you are not able to start the car with the key in your pocket, but you are able to start it with the key in the position that you describe, then there is another problem. 

2. Do you have the owner's manual? it's quite helpful for things like this. My 2020 says:

The remote start system does not work if:
• The ignition is on.
• The alarm system is triggered.
• You switch off the feature in the
information display. See Information
Displays (page 105).
• The hood is open.
• The transmission is not in park (P).
• The vehicle battery voltage is too low.
• The service engine soon light is on.

i would guess that yours is similar. any of those points true?

3. worth upgrading? that's up to you. for me the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze. i would possibly just get an aftermarket radio.

2 hours ago, ben senise said:

1. The RFID in the key-fob does not use the battery. It is passive. The car has a transmitter that emits a radio signal. The RFID captures that signal and sends it back with a code. The energy for this is from the radio signal, not the battery. If you are not able to start the car with the key in your pocket, but you are able to start it with the key in the position that you describe, then there is another problem. 

The RFID does work without a battery which is why you can start it with a dead battery but it has to be very close to the transceiver.  To work further away it needs the fob battery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The RFID does work without a battery which is why you can start it with a dead battery but it has to be very close to the transceiver.  To work further away it needs the fob battery.

the RFID never uses the battery. it can't. it's not wired to the battery in any way. you can take out the little "pill" and look at it. it is totally self-contained and waterproof. it's an antenna and a chip. the radio signal from the car energizes the circuit through the antenna. the chip processes the signal and transmits a new signal with the code. all of this is using extremely weak signals which is why, as you say, the key has to be close to the transmitter/receiver.

the battery is only used for the transmitter functions of the key: lock, unlock, remote start, lift gate, panic, etc.

For #1, try changing the battery. I found our local grocery store has these batteries much cheaper than the drugs store. The transmitter should operate anywhere in the car, even in a purse or pant pocket. A weak battery may need to fall back to the RFID system,  which is passive, bypasses to fob battery and needs to IA to be real close to the transceiver. 

#2, see #1.

#3. Lot of money to change over.  Consider if you really need it. Could just live with it for a couple of months and reevaluate. You really don't "need" it. But you may just "want" it. 

Edited by enigma-2

23 hours ago, ben senise said:

the RFID never uses the battery. it can't. it's not wired to the battery in any way. you can take out the little "pill" and look at it. it is totally self-contained and waterproof. it's an antenna and a chip. the radio signal from the car energizes the circuit through the antenna. the chip processes the signal and transmits a new signal with the code. all of this is using extremely weak signals which is why, as you say, the key has to be close to the transmitter/receiver.

the battery is only used for the transmitter functions of the key: lock, unlock, remote start, lift gate, panic, etc.

Then maybe RFID is the backup system, but if your fob battery gets too weak then you won’t be able to start the vehicle with the fob in your pocket.  It will say key not detected and then you have to put it in the special slot that allows the rfid to be read passively.

Even Ford says the first thing to do if you get key not detected is to change the battery.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the help, a little update:
1. The remote car ignition works, the problem was with the buttons on the remote, I made a temporary repair and ordered two new remotes.
2. I changed the battery in the remote but unfortunately the problem was not solved. I am at a loss for advice on the subject and would really appreciate some help. It's really inconvenient to take the key out of your pocket and put it in a specific place, it loses the advantage of entering and driving without a key.

Thank you

I use Google Translate so I hope you understand then the next thing.

I replaced batteries in both remotes and in both the described problem still exists. While I was arranging things in the car, one of the keys was in the back of the trunk and the other key was in my pocket, and guess what? The car starts! So I made another attempt, I left one key in a hidden place in the trunk, I left the other key at home to make sure the car didn't open when there was a key in the trunk and I couldn't open it, after that I brought the key from home again and the car opened normally and started even when it was in my pocket.

It only confuses me even more, until now I thought the problem was the transmitter in the car, but now I don't think so. Maybe something disrupts the frequency? I'm at a loss again.

I hope you understand and I would be happy for more ideas

Thanks