Automatic goes to neutral under light accelleration 2015 Edge

I am having trouble with the Transmission missing the next gear and going to neutral. Not always just once in awhile.

I had the transmission servieced about 63,000 miles (fluid flush) a few months ago. It seems to be more frequent since that happened.

I took it to a Ford dealer and they ran diagnostic and found no transmission errors in the computer.

Thanks in adance for your help.

Engine would help also, as there are 2 engine/transmission combos available (2.0 with the 6F35 and the 3.5 with the 6F50). However I don't know of any common issues for either one that matches what you are reporting, however that is a common transmission problem in general. There are some TSBs on earlier Edges equipped with the 6F50 that might be similar.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum, Len Woodruff !

The 2015 Edge Workshop Manual transmission diagnostic Symptom Charts for both 6F35 and 6F50/6F55 show a "Neutral after Launch" issue being potentially related to "Low one-way clutch assembly damaged" condition, which you may want to mention to the dealership Service personnel involved in your Edge's last visit, to see if they believe it may apply...

Note: The following two images have been edited to place the relevant symptom at the top of the list.

890973385_6F35Transmission-DiagnosisandTesting-SymptomChart-NeutralAfterLaunch-2015EdgeWorkshopManual.jpg.1ce44e87254947321025dfa14eafd371.jpg

1864510383_6F506F55Transmissions-DiagnosisandTesting-SymptomChart-NeutralAfterLaunch-2015EdgeWorkshopManual.jpg.2592cb127c61378964a7a4bbce0101a1.jpg

Document download links>

6F35 Transmission - Diagnosis and Testing - Symptom Chart - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Low One-Way Clutch Assembly - 6F35 Transmission - Description and Operation - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Low One-Way Clutch Assembly - 6F35 Transmission - Diagnosis and Testing - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

6F50 & 6F55 Transmissions - Diagnosis and Testing - Symptom Chart - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Low One-Way Clutch Assembly - 6F50 & 6F55 Transmissions - Description and Operation - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Low One-Way Clutch Assembly - 6F55 & 6F55 Transmissions - Diagnosis and Testing - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

I find no transmission-related TSBs issued for 2015 Edge. There are Special Service Messages on 2015 Edge transmission, but they are not related to any neutral-out symptom...

image.thumb.png.149660cbd142d9dcd563229fab73a43c.png

image.thumb.png.b915d5a074440b491d15a21942a78ceb.png

image.thumb.png.6faddf65eb627558b276abee33f5bc63.png

image.thumb.png.15db219761f6b556248b920bdaa74546.png

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

I put it in my Profile not sure why it doesn't show.

2015 Ford Edge Titanium 

Its been an issue with this forum for a few years with the owners showing no interest in correcting it, and that's why it was requested that you add that detail to your signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

Edited by 1004ron

8 hours ago, dabangsta said:

Engine would help also, as there are 2 engine/transmission combos available (2.0 with the 6F35 and the 3.5 with the 6F50). However I don't know of any common issues for either one that matches what you are reporting, however that is a common transmission problem in general. There are some TSBs on earlier Edges equipped with the 6F50 that might be similar.

Mine is the 3.5 V6

8 hours ago, Haz said:

Welcome to the Forum, Len Woodruff !

The 2015 Edge Workshop Manual transmission diagnostic Symptom Charts for both 6F35 and 6F50/6F55 show a "Neutral after Launch" issue being potentially related to "Low one-way clutch assembly damaged" condition, which you may want to mention to the dealership Service personnel involved in your Edge's last visit, to see if they believe it may apply...

Note: The following two images have been edited to place the relevant symptom at the top of the list.

I find no transmission-related TSBs issued for 2015 Edge. There are Special Service Messages on 2015 Edge transmission, but they are not related to any neutral-out symptom...

Good luck!

Would any of these show up in the cars computer?

Edited by 1004ron

Low One-Way Clutch Assembly is not mentioned in any of the 2015 Edge Workshop Manual's  2.0L EcoBoost I4/6F35,  or the 3.5L Duratec V6 & 2.7L EcoBoost V6 6F50/6F55 powertrain combinations of Pinpoint diagnostic tests, which as the name implies, focus upon responding to Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)  with prescribed step-by-step diagnostic procedures to identify the an issue's root cause and the proper corrective action...

Note: 2.7L EcoBoost is installed only in the Sport, but is mentioned here to provide full coverage of Edge powertrain combinations which may exhibit the symptom.

image.thumb.png.b50903be82246565ab6b0229c4e1fc27.png

image.thumb.png.e465fc23edd04cabb43187b7c15b747d.png

image.thumb.png.407211146fe1a3869b7ae1fa848403e8.png

Your question is validated by the reaction hierarchy within the 6F50/6F55 Symptom Chart image of my prior post...

In most circumstances the PCM sets a DTC to help guide with diagnostics. Refer to the DTC Chart before using the Symptom Chart. The Symptom column lists the vehicle condition. The Possible Sources column lists a detailed vehicle condition. The Action column lists the action to be performed to determine the cause of the condition.

I don't expect the dealership would want to embark upon a transmission teardown without having a Service technician first-hand experience your Edge's neutral-out behavior, nor do I expect you would want them to, presuming your Edge's Powertrain warranty is expired and there is no extended warranty coverage.

On the other hand, you mention the neutral-out behavior occurs more frequently since the transmission fluid change, so the likelihood of a Service tech experiencing the operational symptom is increased.

Hopefully, you have Ford ESP or some other extended warranty contract on your Edge to assist with the diagnostic & repair costs.

Good luck!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Inasmuch as this showed up after a transmission fluid change, one thing that comes to mind is a low transmission fluid level.

Low fluid causes a feeling that the car is in neutral, as there's insufficient fluid to drive the vehicle under certain road conditions. Then corrects when fluid replenishes. 

Easy enough to check (and correct if found).

1 hour ago, enigma-2 said:

Inasmuch as this showed up after a transmission fluid change, one thing that comes to mind is a low transmission fluid level.

Low fluid causes a feeling that the car is in neutral, as there's insufficient fluid to drive the vehicle under certain road conditions. Then corrects when fluid replenishes. 

Easy enough to check (and correct if found).

Thanks for the tip. I though the transmission was sealed with no dip stick?