Alternative Jack or Lift Points on 2017 Edge

RJSargent64

I have a 2017 Ford Edge with a little over 80,000 miles on it and I live in northern New England where calcium chloride is commonly used on the winter roads.  That aside this spring I was changing switching over to my summer tires.  I use a hydraulic floor jack which has about a 2" diameter disk with notches to prevent slipping.  As I was jacking up the passenger rear wheel side (jack between the arrows) all of a sudden the car dropped the half to three fourths of an inch.  I thought the jack had gone up through the  rocker panel but fortunately it did not.  Instead the lip of the seem just bent over.  I was able to continue jacking and finishing the task at hand.  Okay, now to my concerns/questions. 

a) how solid is the rocker panel at these jacking points?

b) should I continue using the rocker panel point?

c) does anyone know of or recommend alternative jacking points that would be safe?

I have read through several earlier posts/strings about jacking.  Some recommend using a something similar to a hockey puck or a grooved piece of wood or a commercial version.  At this point the damage is done although it may be worth while using such devices might save the other three jacking points.   Would be happy to hear what folks have to say and any helpful thoughts will be much appreciated.

I tried to upload a picture two pictures but then realized the two combined were too large.  I deleted the first picture thinking the second one was more important but now the system won't let me upload any.  I will either try to do an edit after posting OR do a reply to myself so anyone interested can see the seam folded over.

P1130031.JPG

Edited by RJSargent64
To add picture
  • Like 1

Wow,  that's some serious corrosion and question the structural integrity.

They also salt the roads in my area - I have the monthly payment deal with the local car was and take it through the wash every time I drive on salted roads and don't have any corrosion on my 2017.

If it were mine I'd add Jacking Rails like I installed on my wife's Mustang - you could contact the suppler/manufacturer to see if the make these for the Edge, or modify them to fit.

Steeda 555 5205 Mustang Coupe Low-Profile Jacking Rails (15-22)

• Like 1

I use a floor jack and use the connectors for the front and rear "frames" to the unibody "frame rail" that runs the length between the wheels, maybe near what used to be called the torque box? I had jack stands that had the slot for the pinch weld but they failed and all the new ones no longer have a slot, so I need to come up with a solution like you need, but I don't have rust issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

If it were mine I'd add Jacking Rails like I installed on my wife's Mustang - you could contact the suppler/manufacturer to see if the make these for the Edge, or modify them to fit.

I will look into those Jacking Rails.  I had a 2014 Fusion prior to this Edge and it had the same jacking setup as this edge so the company probably does have a set that would fit. 

Salt is the bane of our existence here in northern Vermont. The road crews start putting it down with the first snow fall, usually in November and don't stop until about the first of April.  I'm about 15 miles to the nearest car wash so always figured the car would be coated with salt by the time I get home.  Should've done it regardless.  Oh, I also had a 2005 F150, by 2015 I had had the frame welded three times due to rust through. 

Wow, that is some rust.  I have been meaning to order one of the "Hockey Pucks" online to use on the pinch weld.  I always questioned that philosophy to use the weld.  It didn't appear to spread the lifting forces out very far.  I am used to a good flat frame position. 

Always wondered if the pinch weld could bend and there it is.  

• Like 1

Salt is kryptonite for most of our rides - mine is no exception.  My dad drummed into me the importance of getting a quality rust proofing done if you have a vehicle you intend to keep.  Where I live - it makes all the difference and just doesn't make sense - cost wise to skip.  I've been using the same shop to do this work for several cars I have owned now and they do good work.  My wife passed on it with her 2010 Escape that our son now drives and that car is full of rot - all for skipping a couple hundred bucks worth of protection.

Those rails seem like a great solution.  I hope they make the solution you need.