Do I need rust protection to move to Canada?

Fabian

Hello,

I bought my 2018 Ford Edge Titanium in Washington state. I will be moving to Toronto, Canada. Do I need to add rust protection or the car is already protected? Without rust protection the body will be soon rusted due to the salt added to the roads in Canada.

Thank you.

Fabián

I'd do a full undercoat and rustproofing and make sure to touch it up every year.  It's also a good idea to give it a quick spray with a product like fluid film going into each winter. I have a 2011 SEL that's been in SE Michigan its whole life and the undercarriage still looks pretty amazing for 150,000 miles. 

1 hour ago, lildisco said:

Ziebart traps in moisture & rots metal from the inside out. Use a breathable undercoating like fluid film, unless you don't plan on keeping your vehicle for an extended period of time. 

I bought a 1969 Ford Galaxy when it was 10 years old at the time. It was meticulously maintained, still had the clear plastic seat covers on the seats. It also had Ziebart undercoating applied when new. Over the course of the 2 years that I owned it I watched that car dissolve before my eyes. I would not recommend that product to anyone.

I have not had this experience with Ziebart rustproofing - now this is based on me NOT annually renewing - or having the vehicle REsprayed I have just had them treated then driven.  I have not had the underside of my vehicles look anything like what is shown in that video.  The untreated vehicles I have all had and kept have rotted away.  No vehicle I have ever had treated once from Ziebart has ever had rot issues.

Having said that - it is undeniable what he is showing there.  The underside of my vehicles are NOT goobered up like that.  Perhaps that is the difference.

Thanks for all the comments so far!

It looks like the results of that Ziebart cover will depend on how it was applied. I'd assume that if the surfaces are properly cleaned before applying it, no dirt or moisture should get trapped underneath.

On this same subject: In Canada I had an Honda Civic with an electronic device for rust protection. It works on electrolysis principles. no coating needed. I had no rust issues with it. I held the car for over 10 years.

Oh, and maybe someone here knows: My Edge was produced/assembled in Ontario, Canada. How can I know if it already has rust protection? 

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Fabian said:

On this same subject: In Canada I had an Honda Civic with an electronic device for rust protection. It works on electrolysis principles. no coating needed. I had no rust issues with it. I held the car for over 10 years.

Works on boats, debate is open for cars.

5 hours ago, Fabian said:

Oh, and maybe someone here knows: My Edge was produced/assembled in Ontario, Canada. How can I know if it already has rust protection? 

They were all made there. It likely won't unless the previous owner had it done at the dealer or a shop as it's not a factory option. If it's under coating looks textured and plastic like. Any oil coating should be done annually so won't matter anyway.

• Like 1

Northern Indiana, they love to use salt. Then even salt the roads if it's just cloudy.  No undercoat. Use one of those electronic metal protectors (that's used to reseal the galvanizing) -AND- run it through the car wash (which has a under spray) anytime after they salted the roads. During the winter that usually means once a week. No rust (other than the driveshaft.)

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

depending on which part of canada, they use salt or rocks (!). regardless having krown rustproofing applied/maintained is a popular thing to do there. especially important if you have a 2011+ vehicle, i see more rust issues in those MYs.

in past eras japanese vehicles were known to be quite rust resistant. seems like they are slowly falling off the cliff as well. i believe they galvanized exposed metal to maintain that protection.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1