2016 Edge Sport - Sync ? upgrade recommendations

Hi All,

Previously asked questions here unrelated to this and received excellent feedback so i thought to pose this question here.

Firstly, I think i have the Ford Sync (1) system in my Edge. See picture, its the screen with the 4 blocks on the home screen. Navi is activated by long press of the Voice button on steering.

20221210_135544.thumb.jpg.af0346acc2126a3c1b0816108bc02f78.jpg

Secondly, As this is the family car i personally hardly drive it. My wife does without any complaints. I drive an old VW Golf and i recently upgraded the head unit in the Golf to a cheap chinese android HU and while its glitchy, i really love the android auto connectivity giving me access on screen to Waze and YT music. I always thought that i was happy with the big phone mount, using my phone for Waze, connected BT to the car for streaming. I guess you can agree, the cheap chinese HU changed my life. So much so that now i'm looking for options to update the Ford Sync unit to something with Android/Apple connectivity. 

What are the suggestions? Is there a plug in module or is it a complete replacement of screen/OEM unit?

*Ignore the rear screens, those work perfect on their own for the kids

I have done an upgrade from a sync2 system to a 3.  It seems that being a sync system may limit your upgrade options to what you have done so far - but it may be worth inquiring about.  Here is a link to an outfit I used - I found them to be pretty responsive to questions and was happy with the product they delivered.

https://www.4dtech.com/16-ford-edge-navigation-upgrade-for-sync-3/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, normkol said:

I have a 2016 SEL and the latest Sync 3 update does have Android and Apple connectivity, by wire.

If you want Apple, you will have to change the USB ports, not a major job judging from postings here.

I agree, you probably have 95% of the hardware needed, and the software (I think you need revision 2.2 or higher) to support Android Auto and with a new USB hub/ports Apple CarPlay wired.

I think there is some confusion with both the far away image of the center stack and the custom image shown on the far away picture.

2016 was the first year for the Edge (and quite a few other Fords) for SYNC 3.

While the 2.2 and 3.0 version of the software that Ford distributes for your year, many install the latest 3.4 using a side way to install it. 3.4 is much more responsive than the 3.0 it maxes out on.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dabangsta said:

2016 was the first year for the Edge (and quite a few other Fords) for SYNC 3.

For overseas, non North America, Sync 3 started in 2017. 

3 hours ago, Arbee said:

20180607_235956.thumb.jpg.0bace3c52121dc91fa71f4a30c99f502.jpg

A closer pic - not the clearest or latest. This is what i have now, im out of the country at the moment to take an actual picture.

This is MyFord Touch, also known as Sync 2. If you want a good upgrade, you can find Sync 3 upgrades in Ebay or AliExpress. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While reading through this thread, the thought raced through my tiny brainpan that I should be sarcastic and post a picture of my Sync-1 screen. 

grunt, grunt, grunt

Becoming serious, I really don't miss any of the later features of the later versions. (Especially Sync-2.)

For me, I really only use Sync for •phone calls, •maps and driving instructions, •gas prices or •restaurants along the route, •weather maps (infrequent), •traffic conditions (infrequent) and •listening to CNN, MS-NBC or FOX NEWS. Some 60's and 50's music, Beatles channel (these all get old fairly quickly), Road Dog Trucking, Willie's  Roadhouse, and especially the comedy channels. 

I don't use verbal instructions (probably the only ones I remember are "phone" & "call home" or similar.) For me it's actually easier to press a few buttons to set the location or adjust the audio level or change stations. Can do it without looking. (I'm not a fan of having buttons on a video screen.)

OK, I feel unburdened. Exit, stage left.

Edited by enigma-2