Memory Seats

I have a question for anyone about the Memory Seats. I have programed the first one for my position. Haven't programed No. 2 for my husband yet, but after this question I am sure that will be what I am told. After he drives or I drive and we have to manually move the seat back, the memory button does not bring it back when pushed even though No. 1 is programed. I have to actually manually move the seat up each time. Is this normal or is there something wroing? I was under the impression if you push the button it will always take you back to position even if you have manually moved it back.

Thanks

Per the Owner's Manual:

Easy entry/exit feature (if equipped)

This feature automatically moves the driver’s seat rearward 2 in (5 cm)

when:

• the transmission is in N (Neutral) or P (Park)

• the key is removed from the ignition cylinder

The seat will move forward (to the original position) when:

• the transmission is in N (Neutral) or P (Park)

• the key is placed in the ignition cylinder

Easy entry (if equipped)

This feature automatically moves the drivers seat backwards for easy exit

from the vehicle.

1. To disable/enable the easy entry

seat feature, select this function

from the SETUP control for the

current display mode.

2. Press the RESET control to turn

the easy entry seat ON or OFF.

Good luck.

Don't be confused by the easy entry and the memory function. They are different things and operate independently. When the seat moves back by itself, pushing the memory button will not bring it back. It will come back by itself when you close the door and turn the key.

Edited by Waldo

Don't be confused by the easy entry and the memory function. They are different things and operate independently. When the seat moves back by itself, pushing the memory button will not bring it back. It will come back by itself when you close the door and turn the key.

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I know that when you take the key out the seat moves back and usually when I put the key in the seat goes back into position. The question I have is, if I am sitting in the car and I want the seat to go back I use the auto button to move it back. Then when I get back in when I put the key in it does not go to the right position I have programed with the key in or if I push the no. 1 which is set for me. Is this normal when you manually move the seat back, it cancels out the auto set buttons? Thanks

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I know that when you take the key out the seat moves back and usually when I put the key in the seat goes back into position. The question I have is, if I am sitting in the car and I want the seat to go back I use the auto button to move it back. Then when I get back in when I put the key in it does not go to the right position I have programed with the key in or if I push the no. 1 which is set for me. Is this normal when you manually move the seat back, it cancels out the auto set buttons? Thanks

When you say auto button I assume you mean the button on the side of the seat. So I think the answer is Yes and No. When you manually move the seat back, it will not go back to your set position when you put the key in. However it should always go back to your set position when you push the No. 1 button, as long as the transmission is in Park. Maybe you've been pushing the memory button after you've already put it in Drive?

The only other thing I can think of is are you sure you programmed No 1 correctly? Does it go to your position when you unlock the door with the key fob?

Edited by Waldo

When you say auto button I assume you mean the button on the side of the seat. So I think the answer is Yes and No. When you manually move the seat back, it will not go back to your set position when you put the key in. However it should always go back to your set position when you push the No. 1 button, as long as the transmission is in Park. Maybe you've been pushing the memory button after you've already put it in Drive?

The only other thing I can think of is are you sure you programmed No 1 correctly? Does it go to your position when you unlock the door with the key fob?

I've fooled with these seats for more than a year. They are finicky and often lose memory or return to the wrong position. The bottuns lose memory or change. Key dependency is erratic. My wife and I have reset them numerous times. She has a masters degree in computer science. We have had memory seats in Audi, VW, Mercedes, Lexus and Acura. None show these problems. I really like the Edge, but there is a software glitch. My dealer is great, but this has them stumped. It is not the directions or the user. It is the memory system!

Same issues here. Easy/exit feature works when it wants to. On my wifes setting, she unlocks the door with her fob and seat moves into her position and allows easy entry because seat is back, puts key in ignition and seat never moves forward, she has to do it manually, when stopped and removes key, seat moves back for "easy exit". I never had a problem with my setting. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.... Problem unable to be duplicated at dealer.

Same issues here. Easy/exit feature works when it wants to. On my wifes setting, she unlocks the door with her fob and seat moves into her position and allows easy entry because seat is back, puts key in ignition and seat never moves forward, she has to do it manually, when stopped and removes key, seat moves back for "easy exit". I never had a problem with my setting. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.... Problem unable to be duplicated at dealer.

Stange! (I do know how to spell button)

I've fooled with these seats for more than a year. They are finicky and often lose memory or return to the wrong position. The bottuns lose memory or change. Key dependency is erratic. My wife and I have reset them numerous times. She has a masters degree in computer science. We have had memory seats in Audi, VW, Mercedes, Lexus and Acura. None show these problems. I really like the Edge, but there is a software glitch. My dealer is great, but this has them stumped. It is not the directions or the user. It is the memory system!

You should try a BMW. It's gone but forgotten, it did have issues BUT WHAT A CAR.

Under CERTAIN conditions when I used my key (2) it would reprogram itself as key (1) and we're not just talking seat and mirrors we're talking radio, climate control, etc.

We haven't had near the frustration with the MKX.

ab

Hi all. :D I thought I would mention this bit of information. I realize that what I am about to state is not the cause of the problem for most of you, but it is still good to know for those who may not realize it: If for any reason you should use the memory buttons on the door to reset the seats, you also need to reprogram the corresponding keyfob.

So, for example: If I have set memory button #1 to adjust my seating position and recognize my keyfob, all should be well. But, let's say one day that I decide I would like to move the seat back to a different position. I adjust the seat back, press "SET" and press "1". That will store the memory for that button. But you have now wiped out the Memory Seating function for your particular keyfob. You must now reprogram the keyfob and door buttons for the keyfob/seat memory function to work. Until you also reprogram the keyfob, only the door button will work. The keyfob will not be recognized.

As I said, I am sure this is not the solution for the great majority of those having this problem, but hopefully it may help one or two of you.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi all. :D I thought I would mention this bit of information. I realize that what I am about to state is not the cause of the problem for most of you, but it is still good to know for those who may not realize it: If for any reason you should use the memory buttons on the door to reset the seats, you also need to reprogram the corresponding keyfob.

So, for example: If I have set memory button #1 to adjust my seating position and recognize my keyfob, all should be well. But, let's say one day that I decide I would like to move the seat back to a different position. I adjust the seat back, press "SET" and press "1". That will store the memory for that button. But you have now wiped out the Memory Seating function for your particular keyfob. You must now reprogram the keyfob and door buttons for the keyfob/seat memory function to work. Until you also reprogram the keyfob, only the door button will work. The keyfob will not be recognized.

As I said, I am sure this is not the solution for the great majority of those having this problem, but hopefully it may help one or two of you.

hmm.. I did not realize this myself nor ever read it in the manual or anywhere else. I merely assumed, wrongly I guess but logically in my mind, that once a key FOB was programmed to say #1 it stayed programmed to seat #1 even if I changed position of seat #1 and saved it to memory. since the programing sequence to get buttons 1 and 2 to remember positions is not the same as programming the FOB to recall positions, it never occurred to me that adjusting memory for just seats would adversely effect the FOB program. I think this fact totally explains my issue away. thanks.

hmm.. I did not realize this myself nor ever read it in the manual or anywhere else. I merely assumed, wrongly I guess but logically in my mind, that once a key FOB was programmed to say #1 it stayed programmed to seat #1 even if I changed position of seat #1 and saved it to memory. since the programing sequence to get buttons 1 and 2 to remember positions is not the same as programming the FOB to recall positions, it never occurred to me that adjusting memory for just seats would adversely effect the FOB program. I think this fact totally explains my issue away. thanks.

HE HE HE :)

Hi Lex. :D You're welcome. I did verify that this situation occurs on my neighbors 2008 Edge Limited. I agree with you that the "Memory Seat"/keyfob deprogramming sequence in the Owners Manual is certainly different than what I have described above. Maybe this is a glitch in the system? I can not say for sure.

I realize that this is not the solution for most Edge owners who have this concern, but maybe it may help a few others.

Hi Lex. :D You're welcome. I did verify that this situation occurs on my neighbors 2008 Edge Limited. I agree with you that the "Memory Seat"/keyfob deprogramming sequence in the Owners Manual is certainly different than what I have described above. Maybe this is a glitch in the system? I can not say for sure.

I realize that this is not the solution for most Edge owners who have this concern, but maybe it may help a few others.

This is great news :wacko: we have 4 drivers, Wife is key 1, I'm key 2, son will be button 1 and daughter will be button 2.

I'm off to do a little programming.

ab

This is great news :wacko: we have 4 drivers, Wife is key 1, I'm key 2, son will be button 1 and daughter will be button 2.

I'm off to do a little programming.

ab

Hi ablb. :D Somehow you misunderstood what Lex and I were discussing. That is not what I stated (or what we were discussing), at all.

Unfortunately, you can not do what you are planning. You can only program 2 seating positions: One seating position and corresponding keyfob with button #1, and one seating position and corresponding keyfob with button #2. That is it.

You can not program the buttons and keyfobs separately for 4 different seating positions.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi ablb. :D Somehow you misunderstood what Lex and I were discussing. That is not what I stated (or what we were discussing), at all.

Unfortunately, you can not do what you are planning. You can only program 2 seating positions: One seating position and corresponding keyfob with button #1, and one seating position and corresponding keyfob with button #2. That is it.

You can not program the buttons and keyfobs separately for 4 different seating positions.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I apologize :rockon:

I like to post some wit (no humor this time) and humor :happy feet: on here ever once in a while.

It's always been my understanding that when I push Key 1 I am executing PROGRAM 1 and when key 2 is pushed Program 2 would be run.

I did try to duplicate your procedure but didn't have any luck on our 08 MKX???

position 1 after reprogramming still goes to position 1 when key 1 is pushed.

BUT I DID confuse it.

A couple of times after reprogramming position 1 and pushing key 1 the seat would not go to the new position, or the old. I not sure if it moved to position 2 or MAYBE a default position.

EDIT:

Update:

What happens when key 1 is in-use and position 2 is reporgramed?

ab

Edited by ablb

• 1 month later...

I've experienced a similar issue on my new 2009 Ford Edge. When I first programmed my memory seats (both the door button and key) I noticed that the recall of the position would not adjust all directions ... one direction would not adjust (the seat height - back). I stopped by the dealer and the mechanic did and programmed, tested, programmed, tested, and everything worked fine. It worked fine for me then too, and I figured I must have programmed it wrong.

Well, today I decided to move the back seat height while I was driving, and I noticed that now the memory recall (from the button or key) doesn't adjust that direction again.

I'm guessing the set and recall procedure has definitely got some glitches, but I'm hoping that once I settle on the setting I want, I won't have to reprogram it very much.

I've experienced a similar issue on my new 2009 Ford Edge. When I first programmed my memory seats (both the door button and key) I noticed that the recall of the position would not adjust all directions ... one direction would not adjust (the seat height - back). I stopped by the dealer and the mechanic did and programmed, tested, programmed, tested, and everything worked fine. It worked fine for me then too, and I figured I must have programmed it wrong.

Well, today I decided to move the back seat height while I was driving, and I noticed that now the memory recall (from the button or key) doesn't adjust that direction again.

I'm guessing the set and recall procedure has definitely got some glitches, but I'm hoping that once I settle on the setting I want, I won't have to reprogram it very much.

Hi mthomtech. :D Sorry for the question, but I am not clear a to exactly what you did. After you manually adjusted the seat, did you later fully reprogram the keyfob and door buttons? To keep the new adjustments in memory, you need to reprogram the system again.

Maybe you did, but it was not clear to me.

Hope this information helps.

• 2 years later...

hey all,,,

I have 2007 Edge SEL AWD.

same issue, memory seats.

I do not want to use the option of the key and/or buttons.

I want to use ONLY MEMORY SEATS original buttons which are on the driver's door.

HOW DO I DO THAT ???

...Q1. How do I cancel the key and button programming to enable the memory seats buttons?

...Q2. and after that How do I program the memory seats.