Heater Core Corrosion Letter

richh001

+1 much mush better!

ab

Well they haven't handled the problem yet! I just drove from the farm into the city tonight - approximately 80K (50miles) and the snow didn't even melt off my boots. I guess I will have to drive my 1993 Mazda tomorrow because it has an excellent heater.

This Ford Edge has been a piece of crap. The Edge Sel (EdgeSel) is the new Edsel.

Gary

Well they haven't handled the problem yet! I just drove from the farm into the city tonight - approximately 80K (50miles) and the snow didn't even melt off my boots. I guess I will have to drive my 1993 Mazda tomorrow because it has an excellent heater.

This Ford Edge has been a piece of crap. The Edge Sel (EdgeSel) is the new Edsel.

Gary

How about the thousands of them that have no problem?

Yes, I can only tell you about my experience.

I guess I expected better from Ford.

If they keep pumping out product like this it will come around and haunt them.

Gary

Only if they don't fix the problem!

Take a look at Toyota right now with their "sudden accelleration " problem. They have no idea as to what is causing the problem!

We also received this letter for our '07 MKX. I would like to get the coolant flushed in the spring anyway so we'll see if they will do it under this "situation" free of cost. Seriously doubt it but I was gonna pay them to do it anyway. I hate trying to get rid of used coolant if the job is done at home.

Edited by klc317

In talking with one of my technician buddies, he tells me that you should only used distilled water with the Gold antifreeze. He speculated that hard water might have contributed to the problem. The way they tell if there is a problem that needs to be resolved is to measure the temperature from the vents on both sides of the radio - full hot and full heat - with a hot engine. If there is more than a 15 degree difference between the two readings, then do the backflush and cleaning, then replace the antifreeze with the new green stuff.

It is a 3 hour job and not one you want them to do if you don't have a heating problem. It involves removing water connectors and housings, crimping off hoses and running the vehicle for hours to circulate the old antifreeze and cleaners out of the engine and heater core.

We have been advised to only use distilled water for years, could this be the example that proves the point? I guess I should keep a gallon in my garage and not let some lube jockey add tap water to my radiator.

No Letter - No Tool and No Call yet. - Waiting for a call from the Dealer to get my heater fixed - in the mean time freezing my ass.

Good thing the weather has warmed up a bit (-15).

Ford Canada promised that the tool would be to the dealers before the end of the year (did say which year) so they can do the flush.

Can't they courier the fricken tool out to areas of the country where it is colder - duh!

Still waiting for Service . . . .

Edited by garyedwardsmith

I received the notorious letter 2 days after making an appointment at my local Ford dealer for an abnormally slow-to-warm-up temp gauge on my '07 SEL AWD.

When I dropped it off the service tech told me about the heater core program letter before I could ask about it and he said that they would check out both the engine thermostat and cabin heater core.

Problem - a malfunctioning engine thermostat.

The cabin now heats up within 3/4 mile of driving and runs like a furnace. I've also noticed, the engine radiator cooling fan no longer runs after engine shut-off.

All this along with 4 new tires and she purrs like a kitten.

I love this car, err, cross-over.

Just a little annoyed at the "extension" of the warranty.

I live in Florida and lightly use my Edge, Mainly on weekends.

Not a whole lot of days i'll really need to use the heat. (This weekend I used it for the second time and i owned the card since January Now with about 8400 miles)

Fix the problem don't extend the coverage and home most of us fall out of the warrantee.

Just does not seem right.

Just a little annoyed at the "extension" of the warranty.

I live in Florida and lightly use my Edge, Mainly on weekends.

Not a whole lot of days i'll really need to use the heat. (This weekend I used it for the second time and i owned the card since January Now with about 8400 miles)

Fix the problem don't extend the coverage and home most of us fall out of the warrantee.

Just does not seem right.

It only affects a very small number of vehicles. The problem is they don't know which ones. So you'd rather see them spend an enormous amount of money tearing apart and fixing perfectly fine vehicles just to fix a handfull? They're not "hoping most of you fall out of the warranty". If they wanted to do that then they would have done nothing at all. This will cover 99% of the bad heater cores (at least) and it's the right thing to do.

They extended the warranty to over 100k, forget the exact number. If it is going to break it would happen by then, and if anyone even has their Edge that long. I agree, fix it if it breaks. I can only imagine having it all torn apart that THEN the problems would start. The amount of money that would be spent on mechanics spending hours on this for every car at Ford's cost would be rediculous.

Got my letter today! Two weeks after I identified the problem to my dealer.

So if the flush doesn't fix the problem then they still have to do the dash excavation.

God I hope the flush works, I don't want to have to spend anymore time at the dealer.

Still waiting for a flush - this must be some special tool!

Cold tonight and I need to drive 50 miles with no heat.

Has anyone had this flush done by your dealer yet?

Merry Xmas Ford

Edited by garyedwardsmith

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I like that Ford is not trying to sweep the 'heater core' problem under the rug...in my mind, this shows Ford is committed to customer satisfaction, and I'd even say quality.

Well, I wish they would develop a sense of committment and do SOMETHING about all the transmission problems . I mean, I'm not alone with the issues. I see people talking about it all over this website and others. My transmission won't stay in gear....you can be riding along and just BARELY touch the gas to go a little faster and it revs up like it's in first gear. The tachometer spins over to 5 or 6 thousand rpms and I am NOT flooring it, only trying to smoothly accelerate I have been somewhat disappointed with my edge with all of the problems i have had....had to have a bearing replaced at 40,000 miles. that was six months ago Now my warranty just ran out and it is doing it again. Is it normal for bearings to only last 20 thousand miles?..

Personally, I like that Ford is not trying to sweep the 'heater core' problem under the rug...in my mind, this shows Ford is committed to customer satisfaction, and I'd even say quality.

....had to have a bearing replaced at 40,000 miles. that was six months ago Now my warranty just ran out and it is doing it again. Is it normal for bearings to only last 20 thousand miles?..

What kind of bearing? 40k wouldnt that have allready been out of warranty? How many miles now?

With the exception of marketing letters from the dealership, I've never received any correspondence from Ford about my 2007 Edge. Looking at a list of TSB for the 2007 Edge, I noticed that I have taken my vehicle in for service on every one of those items and not once did the dealership ever disclose a TSB for those issues. In fact, I had to fight to get my car fixed over the transmission starting out in 4th, or pulling to the right, and several other items. As for my Edge rolling backwards on an incline without the brake applied (TSB 20003), I was never able to convince them to fix that. As a matter of fact, they told me that's how all Fords were and I needed to get used it. So now, that my heat has stopped working effectively, and I have 97000 miles on the Edge, I have my doubts that I can convince the local dealer to repair (or flush) mine at no charge.

Does anyone have a copy of this "Heater Core Corrosion Letter" they could scan and post so I would have some ammo to take with me. It's freaking COLD right now, and after Christmas, I don't want to empty my pockets again for something like this unless I have to.

Let me clear one thing up though. I absolutely love my Edge. Every time I get into it, it is a joy do drive. It is by far the most favored car I have ever owned. If it weren't for the service monkeys around here Ford would stand a lot higher.

Thanks,

Carla

Hi Carla, welcome to the forum. Call your dealership and ask them if they have received their kit to do the radiator/heater core flush. The kit includes special fittings, clamps, a bucket, etc.

Give them your VIN and ask them to run an OASIS coded to heater function and they will pull up the instructions and material required. No sense going in if they don't have the kit yet ----BUT you do want to go in before 105,000 miles, even if they don't have the kit, to document your eligibility.

Service advisors are not aware of every service notification or TSB that is in the system. Unless they code the concern into OASIS and identify all the material available from Ford on potential concerns, it is perfectly normal for them not to be aware of specific issues.

See my earlier post on how they will diagnose your concern. You won't need the letter from Ford as they can find out what they need to know from OASIS. If you have moved since buying your vehicle, that may explain why Ford (Corporate) did not communicate with you.

Edited by Grey

What kind of bearing? 40k wouldnt that have allready been out of warranty? How many miles now?

Rear wheel bearing and it was fixed under warranty somehow I've got 63 k on it now. .The new warranty that came with the replaced bearing said 12 months 12,000 miles. I've gone over that so i guess i'm just out of luck. i just think something must be faulty, In all the other cars i've owned, I've only had that happen to me ONCE on a car that had 130,000 miles. I guess if i keep this car, I will be replacing bearings every 20 K miles or so.

Just read the procedure from the Ford Dealer the other day.

I was strolling around the dealer and got chummy with technician.

The service procedure is over 100 operations long. The flushing agent is some sick and scary stuff. It is designed to unclog the heater core.

The procedure looks extremely complex with flushing with this adapter, blocking hoses, removing metal pipes from the engine, ventilating the hoses, back flushing and rinsing.

Then you flush with distilled water, and refill with this new GREEN coolant that Ford is using in other vehicles.

The dealer will NOT do it just because you got the letter. I am willing to bet my right arm on that one.

The technician was cursing up a storm when going through the procedure.

Can we do something to prevent the heater core from clogging in the first place?

He was not sure about just changing the coolant from Gold to the new Green stuff.

Edited by Mr. Westfield

Took my '08 Ford Edge into the dealer today @8:30am. It is now 4:30pm and they are still working on it.

The flush was suppose to be a 2-3 hr job. Looks like it will be tomorrow before I get my vehicle back.

I just hope the flush does the trick, but have no confidence it Ford's ability to service this vehicle at this point.

Gary

Ford doesn't service vehicles.

They licenses Dealers to do it. From the consumers point of view I couldn't give a shit.

You must work for Ford. Right?

This is exactly what is the problem with the mentality around these Dealers. I gave them shit about taking a month to get the car fixed so they said what are we suppose to do if Ford can't get the tool to me. So one blames the other. In the mean time - I as a customer had to drive the F'n vehicle for a month in freezing weather without heat.

Do you think the consumer says Oh I should feel for the Dealer because he can't fix the crap that Ford builds?

Do you think the next time I buy a vehicle I am going to say Oh the Dealer was so nice to me despite the piece of crap Ford built, I am going to buy from the Dealer (not unless he sells Toyota or Honda or Kia ..

That view of business is simply retarded!

They licenses Dealers to do it. From the consumers point of view I couldn't give a shit.

You must work for Ford. Right?

This is exactly what is the problem with the mentality around these Dealers. I gave them shit about taking a month to get the car fixed so they said what are we suppose to do if Ford can't get the tool to me. So one blames the other. In the mean time - I as a customer had to drive the F'n vehicle for a month in freezing weather without heat.

Do you think the consumer says Oh I should feel for the Dealer because he can't fix the crap that Ford builds?

Do you think the next time I buy a vehicle I am going to say Oh the Dealer was so nice to me despite the piece of crap Ford built, I am going to buy from the Dealer (not unless he sells Toyota or Honda or Kia ..

That view of business is simply retarded!

Gary, sounds like you were born with silver spoon in your mouth. Big deal you had to drive in the cold for a month. Sh.t happens, people trying to help you best they can. I don't know what world you living in but it's not perfect....Stop complaining, life too short.