2010 oil filters - 07-09's wont fit

MacLeod

Hey guys, wanted to give a heads up to anyone that doesnt know - the oil filters for 2007-2009 will NOT fit a 2010. Whats worse is the only ones you can find in stores are crappy ones like Supertech at Walmart or STP at Autozone. Oreilly has a Wix which isnt half bad but youll have to go to your Ford dealer to buy the proper Motorcraft one which is a FL500S I believe. Fram, K&N and others make filters thatll fit but they have to be special ordered, at least in my neck of the woods.

I bought the FL400S Motorcraft at Walmart today and after dumping all my oil and unscrewing my filter, I discovered it wouldnt fit.....and it was 8:45 PM. So my Edge will spend the night in the garage with no oil in it til tomorrow when I will go to the ONE store nearby that has a Wix thatll fit.

This is the stupidest crap Ive ever heard.

Edited by MacLeod

I'm curious why did you think the FL400s would work?

I few years ago when I switched back to Ford.

For the first oil change I was surprised to find out that the good ole FL1 was NOT the filter I needed.

ab

I, too removed my filter, drained my oil, preped my new FL400 filter (that my owners manual called for) only to find it was the wrong filter. Being a Sunday, the Ford dealer was closed so I found a Wix to fit at Advance.

The only place I've been able to find the FL500 is at the dealer.

. Oreilly has a Wix which isnt half bad but youll have to go to your Ford dealer to buy the proper Motorcraft one which is a FL500S I believe. Fram, K&N and others make filters thatll fit but they have to be special ordered, at least in my neck of the woods.

Wix - isn't half bad? Wix is great. Don't even consider Fram. Check google for videos on comparisons.

Wix - isn't half bad? Wix is great. Don't even consider Fram. Check google for videos on comparisons.

Fram makes 3 grades of filter that fit the Edge--- Which one are you referring to, and why? There are no actual cases of engine failure due to Fram filters that have been presented by the owner of the vehicle. Only a bunch of anecdotes and old testing done by one individual who tested all the filters for everything but what they were designed to do.

Fram makes 3 grades of filter that fit the Edge--- Which one are you referring to, and why? There are no actual cases of engine failure due to Fram filters that have been presented by the owner of the vehicle. Only a bunch of anecdotes and old testing done by one individual who tested all the filters for everything but what they were designed to do.

Fram has not made a decent oil filter in the last 30 years. I owned an auto parts store for 20 years and have personally cut open many an oil filter. If you compared the guts of a Fram to a Wix you would know what a bad and good oil filter looks like. As I said in my other post - google some videos and see what others have found. Wix makes there own filters right here in the USA and they are very high quality.

first of all, i'll say it again Wix over fram....

But,

I too am in the parts business for 15+ years, and have a commercial customer who has a collection of almost every filter cut open for inspection. (his preference is K&N but customers wont pay for it)

Fram does make a decent filter, the filter element in a tough gard filter is quality, plus MANY race cars still run the HP filter series from FRAM. Fram is a retail filter line, who puts A LOT of money into advertising....

would you rather have a filter that puts A LOT of money into R&D?? (WIX!)

and Computerguy..... you might start looking at the side of some of those wix filter boxes, some of their filters are made in mexico now

and for the record, FORD filters are made by PUROLATOR.....(I'll be sticking to WIX)

The reason I thought the old filter would fit was because the 07-09 filter is the same and since the 2010 model has the exact same engine I figured it would use the same filter. When I bought my oil, none of the catalogs went passed the 2009 model so I guessed.

That wasn't the problem really, I was more ticked that you can't find the right filter anywhere but the dealer at $11 instead of selling them at Wal-Mart for $3 like all their others.

I like Motorcraft and think its quality stuff, especially their oil, so I want to keep using it (especially as long as I have a 75,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty) but as long as Ford only sells the FL500 at the dealer for 3X what they would run In Wal-Mart, I'll keep buying the Wix from Oreillys.

Edited by MacLeod

Fram has not made a decent oil filter in the last 30 years. I owned an auto parts store for 20 years and have personally cut open many an oil filter. If you compared the guts of a Fram to a Wix you would know what a bad and good oil filter looks like. As I said in my other post - google some videos and see what others have found. Wix makes there own filters right here in the USA and they are very high quality.

I spent 35 years in the automotive service equipment business and have never seen a Fram filter failure. In the scheme of things, how long will using a "wix filter" extend the life of my engine? Do I really want a vehicle that is worn out with an engine that is capable of going another 100 K miles?

If you want that, have at it--- I'd just as soon let it all wear out at the same rate and put whatever extra money it would take to use the most expensive stuff towards a new vehicle! :reading:

The reason I thought the old filter would fit was because the 07-09 filter is the same and since the 2010 model has the exact same engine I figured it would use the same filter. When I bought my oil, none of the catalogs went passed the 2009 model so I guessed.

That wasn't the problem really, I was more ticked that you can't find the right filter anywhere but the dealer at $11 instead of selling them at Wal-Mart for $3 like all their others.

I like Motorcraft and think its quality stuff, especially their oil, so I want to keep using it (especially as long as I have a 75,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty) but as long as Ford only sells the FL500 at the dealer for 3X what they would run In Wal-Mart, I'll keep buying the Wix from Oreillys.

The current owner's manual calls for a FL-500S. Is yours different or did you just decide not to check it first?

The current owner's manual calls for a FL-500S. Is yours different or did you just decide not to check it first?

Yup, you got me. Guilty as charged. I didnt check the owners manual to make sure that the oil filter used on all the previous models with the same identical engine had been randomly changed.

Thanks for the link. I figure Ford will have the 500's in store before too long since they have all their others there but if not, Ill just stick to the Wix at Oreilly's. Its as good if not a better filter anyway and it can be my own little protest against Ford. :D

Hay akirby, the guy made a mistake. An assumption that is logical and understandable can be wrong. In many years of changing oil I have never looked at the manual to see what filter to get. That info was always gleaned at the parts store.

Lighten up.....

Feel free to point out where I blamed Ford for anything other than not selling the filter in Walmart like they do all their others.

This is the stupidest crap Ive ever heard.

the oil filter used on all the previous models with the same identical engine had been randomly changed.

it can be my own little protest against Ford.

How is it Ford's fault that WalMart doesn't sell a particular oil filter?

Hay akirby, the guy made a mistake. An assumption that is logical and understandable can be wrong. In many years of changing oil I have never looked at the manual to see what filter to get. That info was always gleaned at the parts store.

But why blame Ford? They put the correct number in the manual and they can't force WalMart or any other retailer to carry a specific model oil filter.

Um..yeah genius, Ford is to blame for them not selling their Motorcraft filters anywhere but the dealer. It's their product. They control what and to where their products gets distributed. They sell all their other size filters at every auto parts store.

When they come out with a new size filter it takes a while for the aftermarket to catch up (which is why there are virtually no 500 size filters out there) so if the only place you can buy a filter is at the dealer, they can charge you a lot more ($11 vs $3). Now that aftermarket filters are starting to get to retail, Ill bet you'll start seeing the Motorcraft FL500 filters in auto parts stores before too long.

Edited by MacLeod

Um..yeah genius, Ford is to blame for them not selling their Motorcraft filters anywhere but the dealer. It's their product. They control what and to where their products gets distributed. They sell all their other size filters at every auto parts store.

When they come out with a new size filter it takes a while for the aftermarket to catch up (which is why there are virtually no 500 size filters out there) so if the only place you can buy a filter is at the dealer, they can charge you a lot more ($11 vs $3). Now that aftermarket filters are starting to get to retail, Ill bet you'll start seeing the Motorcraft FL500 filters in auto parts stores before too long.

Hi MacLeod. :D Before this becomes any more personal, I think the point akirby is making is that it is not Ford's fault that Walmart (or any other seller) does not yet have the FL500S filter on their shelves. Ford is not "holding back" any part or component. Ford will sell Walmart (or anyone else) a million FL500S's (exaggerated for effect of course) if Walmart will order them. Walmart has simply not orderd them yet, and Ford can not force them to.

It is simply a case of Walmart (and others) having not caught up to the spec change, so they have not ordered the new filter for their shelves. The retailer (i.e. Walmart) decides what they will sell, and there is not much Ford (or any automaker) can do to force them to do otherwise.

Bottom line is that no party is effectively at fault here. And you and akriby are simply looking at the situation from two different viewpoints. You want to be able to purchase your proper oil filter cheaper and akirby is providing information.

No harm, no foul.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I dont know brother, Ive worked in the distribution/transportation business for about 15 years and its up to us to get our products into these stores. Walmart doesnt know when 1 of their 5,000 vendors comes out with a new product line - thats for the vendor to submit in to them. Now Ive never worked with auto parts so maybe it is different but I think it is probably the same. From what I can tell, the few manufacturers so far that make a FL500 filter has them in the stores except for Ford so it does appear to be simply a case of Ford keeping this particular filter in the dealerships only. What Ford is doing isnt illegal or even unusual - it happens all the time in a lot of different fields and it makes good business sense. If the dealership is the only place I can buy a filter for my new car Ill have to do it and they can sell it at a higher price AND not have to pay a retailer. I totally get it, but since I got bit by it this time, Im gonna grumble about it some. Not the end of the world.

All of that being said, it doesnt really matter because my intention with this thread was simply to give everybody a heads up about the filter change. Thats it. It was NOT to blame anybody for anything and it wasnt an anti-Ford rant. Im a huge Ford fan and will continue to be. But youre right, it has started to devolve and thats my fault - Im usually pretty good at ignoring trolls. So from here on out, consider all trolls ignored. ;)

Edited by MacLeod

I dont know brother, Ive worked in the distribution/transportation business for about 15 years and its up to us to get our products into these stores. Walmart doesnt know when 1 of their 5,000 vendors comes out with a new product line - thats for the vendor to submit in to them. Now Ive never worked with auto parts so maybe it is different but I think it is probably the same. From what I can tell, the few manufacturers so far that make a FL500 filter has them in the stores except for Ford so it does appear to be simply a case of Ford keeping this particular filter in the dealerships only. What Ford is doing isnt illegal or even unusual - it happens all the time in a lot of different fields and it makes good business sense. If the dealership is the only place I can buy a filter for my new car Ill have to do it and they can sell it at a higher price AND not have to pay a retailer. I totally get it, but since I got bit by it this time, Im gonna grumble about it some. Not the end of the world.

All of that being said, it doesnt really matter because my intention with this thread was simply to give everybody a heads up about the filter change. Thats it. It was NOT to blame anybody for anything and it wasnt an anti-Ford rant. Im a huge Ford fan and will continue to be. But youre right, it has started to devolve and thats my fault - Im usually pretty good at ignoring trolls. So from here on out, consider all trolls ignored. ;)

Hi MacLeod. :D Only trying to help shed some light on your concerns/questions/comments, and also avoid unnecessary probelms on the forum.

Also, once you are around longer you will realize that akirby is not a troll. Sometimes a bit blunt in his replies :poke: , but a helpful member on the forums nevertheless.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I was going to let it go but I don't like being called a troll. If you think Ford is deliberately withholding oil filters from regular retailers then you're mistaken. Ford doesn't make any more whether it's sold at the dealer or at Wal-Mart. Ford dealers are NOT owned by Ford. It's a simple case of retailers either not knowing the new filters exist yet or (more likely) a decision not to stock it yet due to miniscule demand (compared to other filters on the market for years and years). I mean seriously - how many DIYers out there have a 2010 Edge and need an oil filter? Once demand picks up a little they'll be out there.

Now go back and read your comments that I quoted for you and see who's trolling. It's not me.