Loud bang from rear end

Good morning everyone-

I have a 2008 Ford Edge SEL, AWD with the 3.5L V-6.

I've noticed twice now that if I'm driving, and get off the gas, and then quickly get back on the gas, I'm getting a kinda loud bang from my rear end.

It's happened twice within a two month time period, and each time it's the same situation.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Also, I'm not sure if this is covered by my warranty or not, because from what I was told by my dealer, I only have a 3/36K powertrain warranty.

Is that correct?

Also, I have the same front axel seal that is leaking and hasn't been fixed yet. Could that cause the issue?

Thanks for the long questions.

Thanks

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everyone-

I have a 2008 Ford Edge SEL, AWD with the 3.5L V-6.

I've noticed twice now that if I'm driving, and get off the gas, and then quickly get back on the gas, I'm getting a kinda loud bang from my rear end.

It's happened twice within a two month time period, and each time it's the same situation.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Also, I'm not sure if this is covered by my warranty or not, because from what I was told by my dealer, I only have a 3/36K powertrain warranty.

Is that correct?

Also, I have the same front axel seal that is leaking and hasn't been fixed yet. Could that cause the issue?

Thanks for the long questions.

Thanks

Matt

Powertrain should be covered for 5/50K, or is it 5/100K...anywho, 5 years

Thanks for the update.

I had an oil change the other day, and I asked my mechanic about it, and we checked the driveshaft, the rear axel and everything else, and everything was tight, so it appears it nothing major.

I think it might have been the rear wheels catching up to the front wheels, so who knows.

Thanks for the update.

I had an oil change the other day, and I asked my mechanic about it, and we checked the driveshaft, the rear axel and everything else, and everything was tight, so it appears it nothing major.

I think it might have been the rear wheels catching up to the front wheels, so who knows.

I suggest you take a look at this thread.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/4901-attention-ford-edge-owners/page__pid__38276__st__0&&do=findComment&comment=38276

There is a TSB about this very issue. In my case the thump is VERY noticeable on inclines. Take your service tech for a ride in some "hilly" roads and he'll be sure to hear it. Acceleration from a stop on a hill will certainly lead to a thump.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

I suggest you take a look at this thread.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/4901-attention-ford-edge-owners/page__pid__38276__st__0&&do=findComment&comment=38276

There is a TSB about this very issue. In my case the thump is VERY noticeable on inclines. Take your service tech for a ride in some "hilly" roads and he'll be sure to hear it. Acceleration from a stop on a hill will certainly lead to a thump.

Wow, thanks for letting me know!

I just called my dealer and let him know. I also let them know about the smell from the oil on the front axel seal, which the part was on back order. But that was 3 months ago.

Well at least I know.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a loud noise a couple times. Just after a FULL fill up the gas rocks back and forth and move the Floats - baffles, makes noise.

Try filling your tank full and do a couple stops and starts, might b the noise?

GL

That's not the noise he is reffering to.

This is a know issue on a lot of Edges and their is a TSB out on it.

Read the thread I linked in the above post.

that TSB refers to lurching and clunk I do not think that is what OP is referring to

"I've noticed twice now that if I'm driving, and get off the gas, and then quickly get back on the gas, I'm getting a kinda loud bang from my rear end.

It's happened twice within a two month time period, and each time it's the same situation."

I filled up last night and felt the Bang / thud in the drivers seat upon stop and go traffic. One home stop and start on the driveway, I'm sure it the float in the tank

that TSB refers to lurching and clunk I do not think that is what OP is referring to

"I've noticed twice now that if I'm driving, and get off the gas, and then quickly get back on the gas, I'm getting a kinda loud bang from my rear end.

It's happened twice within a two month time period, and each time it's the same situation."

I filled up last night and felt the Bang / thud in the drivers seat upon stop and go traffic. One home stop and start on the driveway, I'm sure it the float in the tank

Thanks for proving my point. The load bang he is referring to is coming from the PTU/Transmission unit.

If your Edge does not have this issue then you wouldn't know what he is reffering to.

Clunk and loud bang are pretty much synonymous in my book.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

• 2 months later...

Good morning everyone-

Just an FYI- I did get my truck fixed and it's been great.

There is a TSB out there for my problem- TSB number is 08-26-13.

Some 2008-2009 Ford Taurus, Taurus X and Mercury Sable models built before 10/15/08 and the 2008/2009 Edge and MKX vehicles built before 11/20/08 may exhibit a harsh driveline clunk at low speed, below 10mph during stop and go driving on tip- it may be due to a powertrain contol module calibration.

There is a new calibration that will improve the low speed stop and go feel.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Matt

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got a 2011 AWD Edge and I'm getting what I called a "KLUNK" sound from the rear end. Good to know there is a TSB...even if it may not apply to 2011

I get the SAME thing on my 2011 AWD Edge - at lower speeds, if I let off on the gas a bit, coast for a sec, and then hit the gas again, I get a loud THUNK as it kicks me into gear. (I'm not even flooring it)

Guess I'll check with the dealer and see if there's a known issue on the 2011's

• 2 weeks later...

I get the SAME thing on my 2011 AWD Edge - at lower speeds, if I let off on the gas a bit, coast for a sec, and then hit the gas again, I get a loud THUNK as it kicks me into gear. (I'm not even flooring it)

Guess I'll check with the dealer and see if there's a known issue on the 2011's

It's happened to my 2011 Edge Limited twice so far. It feels/sounds like I got rear ended!

• 2 months later...

This describes exactly my issue with my 11' Sport.

What confuses me is why does this only effect some vehicles? Is it really on all of them, but only shows up depending on your driving style? I drive in heavy traffic a lot which is the equivalent to the "rolling stop" scenario described in the TSB and would explain what I see it. I've already had it reprogrammed, which seemed to help for a little while, but it eventually came back.

Anyone know of any potential side effects that this would create that may not show up until later on?

Thank you very much for passing this on!! I have a big road trip coming up at the end of the month, I'm just debating if I want my tranny messed with just before I go, or if I should ensure its done first.

• 2 weeks later...

there is a TSB that covers 2009-2011 Edges TSB 11-5-6 her is the link

http://way2evil.com/tsb/tsb11-05-06.pdf

I have contacted the dealer and will be getting mine done. I have the same issue

Did you get the TSB performed? It sounds like it would fix some of my issues and am going to have it done when i take it in to get the dragging BAMR fixed

Did you get the TSB performed? It sounds like it would fix some of my issues and am going to have it done when i take it in to get the dragging BAMR fixed

Update re TSB:

I've had it back for 2 days now and have done approx 200KM. So far no more clunking and I was getting pretty good at being able to reproduce it at will. I'd like someone whom hasn't done the TSB yet to validate one thing. Can someone switch to manual mode, take it up to 6th and gently slow down. Let me know if it goes through every gear on the way back down. I didn't notice it before, but running the new tranny fix though some tests, I noticed when downshifting, it skips 2nd. 6,5,4,3,1. It drops to 1st in a good RPM range though, so if you come right back on it, there is no lag and no major engine braking when it drops to 1st. Also just before dropping to 1st, 3rd still has enough power that it doesn't lag much either.

This may have been part of the fix, but we can validate if someone without the TSB tests the same thing. Perhaps it has always done this??

At this point it does appear to have less lag from the get go, but it did with my previous reprogram as well, but that didn't last long. It's still too early for me to give it a good review. Although starting on the 30th, I'm going to take it on a 4000+KM test drive for you, so I'll certainly update everyone after that.

Update re TSB:

I've had it back for 2 days now and have done approx 200KM. So far no more clunking and I was getting pretty good at being able to reproduce it at will. I'd like someone whom hasn't done the TSB yet to validate one thing. Can someone switch to manual mode, take it up to 6th and gently slow down. Let me know if it goes through every gear on the way back down. I didn't notice it before, but running the new tranny fix though some tests, I noticed when downshifting, it skips 2nd. 6,5,4,3,1. It drops to 1st in a good RPM range though, so if you come right back on it, there is no lag and no major engine braking when it drops to 1st. Also just before dropping to 1st, 3rd still has enough power that it doesn't lag much either.

This may have been part of the fix, but we can validate if someone without the TSB tests the same thing. Perhaps it has always done this??

At this point it does appear to have less lag from the get go, but it did with my previous reprogram as well, but that didn't last long. It's still too early for me to give it a good review. Although starting on the 30th, I'm going to take it on a 4000+KM test drive for you, so I'll certainly update everyone after that.

I tried this today and my transmission stepped through all the gears.

Edited by wilsons66604

I tried this today and my transmission stepped through all the gears.

Thanks wilsons66604!!

So it looks like the 2nd gear skip may be part of the fix. I tried it numerous times and couldn't get it to touch 2nd. I guess the only official confirmation would be either to have Ford tell you its part of the fix, or have someone verify it before and after the fix. I wouldn't have thought to look at this before hand.

I noticed the RPM's seemed to behave a bit different in that range then before, but power / response wise, it seems to be still good, if not better. I figured that plugging a hole in the plate and completely removing a check ball was a significant physical change. It seemed something should be missing. This is why I switched to manual and started playing around, it kept me entertained at 7am in traffic. I guess its 2nd on the way down that was causing the issue.

Anyone here know enough about transmissions to verify or at least qualify these findings?

Edited by AXCL

I plan on taking mine in in the near future but dread being w/o the car.

I have two symptoms when slowing to a near stop then accelerate The KLUNK and if it doesn't KLUNK, i sometimes have no throttle response for what seems like 2-3 seconds.

another incentive to get to the shop is the 2.11 update & a slow BAMR....

so it will most likely end up being a multi day project.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would post my experience with this transmission issue. Hopefully, someone may have had a similar experience and can offer some advice....

Ever since I purchased our 2008 Edge Lmtd with AWD, I have not been real happy with the shifting ability of the transmission. I have experiences the klunking, thumping and slipping issues others have. As well as the roll back but I adjusted my driving habits.

In July 09, my wife was driving the Edge and experienced the vehicle suddenly not wanting to move forward even as she pressed on the gas pedal. She stopped, placed the transmission in Park, turned off the vehicle and then restarted and was able to drive off normally. A short distance later, again no moving forward but then wrench light came on, and other lights were flashing on the dash (her description). I drove to her location to assist and vehicle would not move forward. Vehicle was towed to dealer. There diagnosis was they found "Code P0720. P0722 watched PIDS and found OSS PID dropping to 0 intermittantly. Pulled front pan and replaced sensor." After I got the vehicle back, it was more or less fine other than just a feeling the transmission was loose still.

In Sept 09, I took the vehicle in again and complained of the shifting. They verified the complaint and performed TSB #8-26-13. When I got it back again, it drove OK but not a tight shifting of a transmission as I think it should be.

So I chalked it up to just my opinion. Well, lately the klunk as I lightly accelerate is back. Very obvious to me the transmission is slipping momentarily and then catching, thus the klunk or thump. I was planning on taking it in again if it persisted. So tonight, I back out of a parking spot, place transmission in drive and accelerate but car barely moves forward. Dropped shifter to Low but same effect. So I shut it off, restart and vehicle drives normally home. Now I am waiting to take to dealer on Monday.

Sure would like to get to the bottom of this.

Anybody out there have any information that may be of help?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

Thanks wilsons66604!!

So it looks like the 2nd gear skip may be part of the fix. I tried it numerous times and couldn't get it to touch 2nd. I guess the only official confirmation would be either to have Ford tell you its part of the fix, or have someone verify it before and after the fix. I wouldn't have thought to look at this before hand.

I noticed the RPM's seemed to behave a bit different in that range then before, but power / response wise, it seems to be still good, if not better. I figured that plugging a hole in the plate and completely removing a check ball was a significant physical change. It seemed something should be missing. This is why I switched to manual and started playing around, it kept me entertained at 7am in traffic. I guess its 2nd on the way down that was causing the issue.

Anyone here know enough about transmissions to verify or at least qualify these findings?

Well, the dealership has the parts to do the TSB on my transmission and I will be taking it in on Monday.

I just couldn't wait any longer. The transmission seemed to be getting worst. One big scare while trying to do a hiway pass the other day. The tranny seemed to get stuck in neutral when trying to down shift. The engine reved up but the car slowed. It finally kicked into gear. Shifts have been getting more noticeable also.