2011 Build Date

thebrave

That is a quick turn around! They must be getting caught up on their back log AND you must have a really good dealer.

My car took about two weeks to get to me (in KS) once it got built.

Lucky You! :rockon:

Wilson, thanks for the approximate shipping time. I am in St. Louis and dealer expects it on Oct 10 so that is about 2 weeks, too.

Maybe you don't follow the car market that closely but I can name 15 vehicles off the top of my head that were an owners nightmare their first model year.When you get a chance do a little research yourself.Lastly, I dont think anyone on this board wants to be inconvenienced by bringing their car in every other week for a problem.If you read some of the posts on this board you would see owners having their car in the shop longer than they've had it at home.Others bringing it in for the same issue over and over again. I'd be happy if I never got to use my warranty. Unfortunatelyim waiting for a part that is currently on backorder to fix the thumping my car makes on incline acceleration. At least Ford has FINALLY came forward to say there is an issue and they are working on manufacturing a fix.

I noticed on your signature 2010 Edge Limited. Can't help but feel your insight may be linked to the fact you just bought the outgoing model.

Can first year models sometimes have MORE problems: YES

Can first year models sometimes have LESS problems: YES

Fact is every year the assembly line undergoes changes. Manufacturing process is sometimes tweaked daily, and could result in defects, or the reduction thereof. Some assembly workers agree the by month 2 of production, the process of building the car is followed to the T, and that only when production gets ramped and do they sway from their normal QC process they begin to introduce more assembly defects (as opposed to design defects).

I have news for you, by the time the QC engineers even have locked down that there is a design defect they're already half way through the 2013 model year. You going to wait around for the perfect car?

Fact is if a company has a reputation of addressing issues, they will do it whether you have purchased the car or not. In addition, things have changed. So many of the design issues can be addressed with software or firmware fixes, which was once impossible. For example, are you aware that the Ford Edge with adaptive cruise control can actually be hacked to incorporate the Stopping feature included in most new Volvo's? Its the identical system with some minor firmware modifications to change how the car responds to the triggered alert.

Anyways if you like the car, and trust the company to stand behind it buy it. If you're afraid of it not being perfect, then buy a used car with a proven record. Any new car can have both design, and assembly defects no matter how long how long a given model has been out.

Edited by oakville_edge

Wilson, thanks for the approximate shipping time. I am in St. Louis and dealer expects it on Oct 10 so that is about 2 weeks, too.

I live in Chesterfield and mine shipped on a Friday, was in Wentzville the following Tuesday, at the Dealer Friday and I picked up on Saturday.

Congrats on your new Edge you'll love it!

For example, are you aware that the Ford Edge with adaptive cruise control can actually be hacked to incorporate the Stopping feature included in most new Volvo's? Its the identical system with some minor firmware modifications to change how the car responds to the triggered alert.

Theoretically speaking, how would one go about getting the firmware changed/hacked on the adaptive cruise control?