Edge Lemon and Ford Customer Service

blizzard2010

I wouldn't even mess with the BBB, they are an entity that has no bite. I wish you luck in your lemon law action but IMO you aren't going to get anywhere. I have to ask though why in the world do you keep going back to this dealership as they have proven their incompetence time and time again.

I wouldn't even mess with the BBB, they are an entity that has no bite. I wish you luck in your lemon law action but IMO you aren't going to get anywhere. I have to ask though why in the world do you keep going back to this dealership as they have proven their incompetence time and time again.

Hi, I'm not sure about whether the BBB will be useful or not myself. I did use them for a minor problem once, where a retail store was stonewalling me. As soon as I filed, they rectified the problem, as they didn't want a bad rating. As to whether a company like Ford will care, who knows? I was going back to the same dealership, as they knew what had been tried before, had told me they were working directly with Ford engineers the whole time ( a lie) and were one of the two dealerships closest to me. Also, as I bought it from them, they supplied a loaner car. When I finally went to the other dealer for the GPS, they were less than useful. I won't be going back to either for anymore service. I'll wait for the Lemon Law decision, and if I need something else fixed, I'll have to try elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Any update?

Both the BBB and NYS AG's Office accepted it for arbitration. The BBB said I could only do one at a time, and wanted me to cancel the AG for now. They said I could try the AG if I didn't like the outcome, as their decision is not binding on me, just Ford. BBB would have had a depreciation of about $2400 due to 6000 miles on the vehicle. Also, I would be out the tax I paid ($2300). I called the AG, and they said that a previous arbitration could cloud my case, that with them I could file to get the tax back and that there is no depreciation as I have under 12,000 miles. I called the BBB and advised I will be using the AG only. I have to send them a $250 check, which I will get back if I win. The person at the AG's office didn't have my file, but said since they accepted it, it must be a good case. I described some of what went on, and he again said the same. He did say that Ford might try to contact me first, now that they have it. It would be in Ford's interest to buy back the vehicle now. If it is ruled a lemon, and they take it back, they won't be able to sell it without that disclosure. Have to wait and see, now

I have been following this story as it unfolds. Good Luck. Re a previous post about the 2010's in general appearing to have more problems, there does seem to be some indication that this is in fact the case. It will be interesting to follow it with time and see how the 2011's perform.

Edited by Theakerr

• 1 month later...

The office that schedules arbitration hearings for the NYS Attorney General's Office was sent the case last week. I was told I should be contacted about a date pretty soon. Also, while I am waiting, I might be bringing it in for the driver's seat. It is getting looser and rocks back and forth when I accelerate or brake. . I was in for an oil change, and the mechanic ( non Ford ) said it seems like the carriage is loose. Have to see. The damn roof is rattling away at temps as high as 60 degrees now. Annoying as Hell.

Edited by blizzard2010

• 3 weeks later...

The hearing is set for this month. I was originally told that Ford would send a representative. I got a letter from a law firm stating they would be there for Ford. So, I decided to contact a local lemon law attorney, who is familiar with both the arbitrator and the opposing firm. I originally thought I had 32 days without my vehicle, as of Sep 1-2010. It seems they count partial days, not just 24 hour cycles. So I had actually lost it, by their measure, for 38 days in the first 9 months I owned it. It is now 1 year old, and I have 7200 miles. 5 Attempts for the sunroof, before they said they wouldn't work on it anymore, and 4 attempts on the Navigation/Multimedia Sync System, before they said they would replace it ONLY if I agreed not to try to have them take the vehicle back. Well, let's see what happens

Edited by blizzard2010

• 1 month later...

I WON!

I attended a NYS Attorney General’s Office New Car Lemon Law Arbitration hearing on Dec 23,2010. Ford sent a lawyer from New Jersey to the hearing. Seemed like a nice guy. His firm gave him the case the day before the hearing. It seems Ford didn't give his firm any work orders or technician's notes. He was able to get someone to fax him some notes from Customer Service, which corroborated my description of events, both in dealing with Sayville Ford and Ford CS. My lawyer wanted to work out a settlement. He said they will sometimes give a full value credit toward another Ford vehicle, rather than proceed to trial or arbitration . Ford would not let their lawyers do so. The hearing lasted about 2 hours. I found out on Jan 7, 2011 that I won. We notified Ford we were accepting the arbitrator’s ruling, which then gave them 30 days to comply, or face fines of $25 a day, up to $500. I finally heard from Ford’s lawyers last Thursday, that Ford CS would be getting in touch with me about my refund. I heard from them the next day, and they said Sayville Ford would have the check by Tuesday, today. I contacted Sayville Ford, confirmed that they had it, and I will be handing the vehicle back tomorrow, and getting my refund check. It is for the full vehicle price, administrative fees (registration, inspection, title etc) and the $250 filing fee I made to NYS for the arbitration. Afterwards, I will also send a form in to NYS to get the sales tax back. It would have been so much easier if Ford had taken care of this back in April, or later when I had the meeting with their regional CS representative. Now they have a vehicle that has been declared a Lemon. This has to be posted on all paperwork pertaining to the vehicle, including sales stickers if they decide to try to resell it. I am being met at the dealership by a salesman from Nissan, who will drive me to pick up my new 2011 Nissan Murano. This has been a long and aggravating experience. No doubt Ford was hoping I would just give up and go away. I imagine many people do. If anyone else is in this situation, remember, don’t give up and don’t be a victim. As long as you keep fighting, you haven’t lost. Myself, I am just glad it is over. Good Luck, everyone.

• 3 months later...

Sir - I applaud you on continuing to fight until you achieved your objective. Unfortunately, I feel I've started down the same road as you did even though I haven't had as many problems as you had. Ford has known since at least last July that there were significant problems with their Sync/MFT system and it still doesn't work properly for many folks, me being one. I've had to take the 2011 Edge back for work on the MFT 6 times. I had a 'hard shift' practically give me a heart attack when it happened and supposedly that will be fixed when I pick up the car from the dealership next week sometime. There is a persistant fluttering noise from near the driver's rear view mirror that they are still trying to fix.

In all fairness, I've been given a rental car that Ford paid for each time I've had to leave the car there (this time I will have had it for 6 days). Still - I will never buy a Ford again - I've learned my lesson. Imports only from now on.

Sir - I applaud you on continuing to fight until you achieved your objective. Unfortunately, I feel I've started down the same road as you did even though I haven't had as many problems as you had. Ford has known since at least last July that there were significant problems with their Sync/MFT system and it still doesn't work properly for many folks, me being one. I've had to take the 2011 Edge back for work on the MFT 6 times. I had a 'hard shift' practically give me a heart attack when it happened and supposedly that will be fixed when I pick up the car from the dealership next week sometime. There is a persistant fluttering noise from near the driver's rear view mirror that they are still trying to fix.

In all fairness, I've been given a rental car that Ford paid for each time I've had to leave the car there (this time I will have had it for 6 days). Still - I will never buy a Ford again - I've learned my lesson. Imports only from now on.

We have our 09 LTD AWD since July 09 and had only one problem. The PTU seals were replaced and since than the car is running great. I think Ford makes really good product and stands behind it as well. If you google car problems with any imports or domestic manufacturers you will find people having problems as well. I think Volvo has the most problems fallowed by Audi and Toyota. The Internet is a great tool to find all these things. I would never buy imports because all the parts are very expensive.

I read about the problems with Sync/MFT on the 2011 models. It's new system which will have some bugs. Ford is working on it and I'm sure they will come with the solution.

• 1 month later...

Wolfie is finally going back to FORD they are going to make things right ! Finally after 18 mo of pure hell heartache and crying. They have a agreed to repurchase or buy back ! YAY thank gos good luck with yours, PS my customer service guy was Bradly in the Seattle division Awesome guy. It only took Ford 1 day to make a decision !

Donna AKA WOLFIE !

I'm experinening many issues that you speak about and have decided after this lease runs out I'll not make the same mistake again.

What infuriates me is Ford is just not listening or taking notice of the repairs coming from their dealers. Some of these issues are from 2009 or 2010 model years...!!!

You'll find buying an "import" doesn't really solve anything either, Toyota, Audi, Nissan among others that have quality problems on their hands. It's the correcting of these problems I would like to see.

I understand offshore sourcing by Mercedes, BMW and more recently Toyota (very red faced and serious about getting back to where they were) is now being considered. "Profits over quality" is about to change throughout the industry maybe...just maybe????

• 2 years later...

I have to say my 2008 edge is having major brake problems. About a month and a half ago I would step on the breaks and it would be pulsating bad. Took it to the dealer and they turned the rotors with that old standby of the rotors have rust and the pads had glazing. They did that twice, I seem to think it's more than that. I went to brake today and it wouldn't stop ! Talk about someone who was so scared they didn't want to drive the car anymore!

The car will be parked until Saturday when I can get it back to the dealer one last time. This time I'm TELLING them to replace the Brake Booster and I'm not taking no for an answer or the Maryland Attorney General's office will be hearing from me. I know that the dealers know there is something seriously wrong with these brakes and were probably told not to acknowledge it to their customers. How in good conscious can they continue this atrocity? This is a safety issue, if I have an accident who's the person in the other car going to sue when I run into the back of them, certainly not the dealer or The Ford Motor Company! The more I read on this forum the more pissed off that Ford refused to acknowledge publicly that they need to replace major components of the brakes! Thank you all for opening my eyes and making me aware of what I have to do on Saturday! I will call the service guy to tell him to expect to replace the brake booster and they ARE NOT going to turn my rotors again. I can't afford to pay for new rotors since I just spent 4 1/2 hours sitting at the dealer and $697.00. For the inconvenience they need to pay me &1000.00 for my time!!

Will update as to what happened when I went in!! Thanks again all!! And yes not all women are stupid when it comes to cars. My husband has taught me a lot and this forum reinforces that I know more than I thought I did!!

You need to take your car to another mechanic or dealer. It is not a problem with the car it's a problem with the servicing dealer. Any qualified mechanic should be able to replace brakes and bleed them properly. If they cannot diagnose the problem correctly tell them you need your money back. Because the dealer sucks doesn't make the car a lemon.

Edited by CinnamonEdge
  • Like 1

Tell them if you get into an accident with the poor brake job you will sue them and you want them to replace any parts with new parts. No turning rotors! New rotors, new pads, bleed the lines with new fluid. new master cylinder and booster( if it needs booster and cylinder). You want a credit for the other jobs that they botched. And apply that to the new pads, rotors, labor etc that will be needed to do the job correct. If there is air in the ABS unit that would cause poor breaking and if the calipers were pressed back wrong and are sticking that would cause glazing and poor breaking too.

Edited by CinnamonEdge
  • Like 1

I have to say my 2008 edge is having major brake problems. About a month and a half ago I would step on the breaks and it would be pulsating bad. Took it to the dealer and they turned the rotors with that old standby of the rotors have rust and the pads had glazing. They did that twice, I seem to think it's more than that. I went to brake today and it wouldn't stop ! Talk about someone who was so scared they didn't want to drive the car anymore!

The car will be parked until Saturday when I can get it back to the dealer one last time. This time I'm TELLING them to replace the Brake Booster and I'm not taking no for an answer or the Maryland Attorney General's office will be hearing from me. I know that the dealers know there is something seriously wrong with these brakes and were probably told not to acknowledge it to their customers. How in good conscious can they continue this atrocity? This is a safety issue, if I have an accident who's the person in the other car going to sue when I run into the back of them, certainly not the dealer or The Ford Motor Company! The more I read on this forum the more pissed off that Ford refused to acknowledge publicly that they need to replace major components of the brakes! Thank you all for opening my eyes and making me aware of what I have to do on Saturday! I will call the service guy to tell him to expect to replace the brake booster and they ARE NOT going to turn my rotors again. I can't afford to pay for new rotors since I just spent 4 1/2 hours sitting at the dealer and $697.00. For the inconvenience they need to pay me &1000.00 for my time!!

Please do keep us updated, Kghayes213. If you decide to head to another dealer for a second opinion, you may locate one here. In addition, if you'd like me to document your dealer feedback for internal review, just let me know.

Todd