Music from iTunes to mp3? USB Flash Drive?

carfaninpa

I am picking up my 2011 MKX later this week. I am used to listening to CDs that I burned from iTunes in my old car which has a 6 CD changer. Of course, the format in iTunes is proprietary to Apple. What is the best way for me to now listen to my music in the new MKX? I would prefer to just have mp3 files on a usb flash drive but getting from iTunes to mp3 is difficult. I guess I could buy a new ipod (now on my iphone4) dedicated to the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am picking up my 2011 MKX later this week. I am used to listening to CDs that I burned from iTunes in my old car which has a 6 CD changer. Of course, the format in iTunes is proprietary to Apple. What is the best way for me to now listen to my music in the new MKX? I would prefer to just have mp3 files on a usb flash drive but getting from iTunes to mp3 is difficult. I guess I could buy a new ipod (now on my iphone4) dedicated to the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On the MyFord Touch system, one of the options (besides AM/FM, Sirius, CD, etc.) is BT/Stereo (bluetooth). I started up Pandora on my BT-connected phone and pushed the BT/Stereo option. It detected the BT audio feed and started playing Pandora over the car audio system. I imagine you could do the same with your iPhone connected via BT.

I don't have iTunes in front of me but I found this on the internet

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071119173359AA54rRE

in your iTunes library take them and drag and drop to your USB, easy as that

I plan on bringing my old Gen5 iPod back to life and use it. It's big enough to hold my complete library.

I bought an 8G 5th generation Ipod Nano from Amazon for $129 including shipping to leave in my car. It works great and the car detects it as soon as it's plugged in and you can control everything from the main screen. :yup:

I still have my itouch that I bought before I got my phone and tend to carry both around anyway - just planning to use that.

I purchased a 2011 Edge Labor Day, I just took my iTunes music folder and dropped/Dragged it to USB Thumb drive I connected to laptop. Pretty much like the Yahoo Answer in above post. It does take up move space than the sum of the music so make sure you get a large enough Thumb Drive. I got 16 gb and it used maybe 10-11 for around 1800 songs, plus cover art, etc. First time you connect the USB it will want to index it and it works fine. I used BT connection from iPhone for a while but that was not nearly as easy to use, especially with voice commands, over BT voice commands did not work.

I purchased a 2011 Edge Labor Day, I just took my iTunes music folder and dropped/Dragged it to USB Thumb drive I connected to laptop. Pretty much like the Yahoo Answer in above post. It does take up move space than the sum of the music so make sure you get a large enough Thumb Drive. I got 16 gb and it used maybe 10-11 for around 1800 songs, plus cover art, etc. First time you connect the USB it will want to index it and it works fine. I used BT connection from iPhone for a while but that was not nearly as easy to use, especially with voice commands, over BT voice commands did not work.

Are any of the songs purchased from iTunes ( and if so are they unprotected) or did you rip them from CDs? What format files ended up on the usb drive?

Are any of the songs purchased from iTunes ( and if so are they unprotected) or did you rip them from CDs? What format files ended up on the usb drive?

Not sure of the format, it was whatever was in iTunes. Some purchased, some ripped. Will have to try the purchased ones to make sure they work, thinking back, I think all I have tried in car were ripped. Not enough time driving and SOOOOO many things to listen to, exploring Sirius also so have not used the USB all that much other than to make sure they played.

Not sure of the format, it was whatever was in iTunes. Some purchased, some ripped. Will have to try the purchased ones to make sure they work, thinking back, I think all I have tried in car were ripped. Not enough time driving and SOOOOO many things to listen to, exploring Sirius also so have not used the USB all that much other than to make sure they played.

Older purchased songs may still be protected and those should not work on a usb drive. Ripped songs and unprotected purchased songs (newer ones) should work fine. It's a copyright thing.

One way to test is to see if itunes allows you to convert the song to a MP3 format. If not you can get around it by burning it to an audio disc and then ripping it back in. It's a pain but it works.

I got on syncmyride.com and there is also software to download that when I ran it did some updates to the iTunes library. it was called syncmyiTunes. This is the description, there are phone and windows versions also. SYNCMyiTunes MAC Client

Are you using iTunes with your media player and having trouble indexing your music with SYNC? SYNC My iTunes may be able to help. It's a downloadable software program that corrects common errors in your iTunes music library, so that your music can be indexed by SYNC. If SYNC communicates that it is unable to index all the music on your media player when you plug it into your SYNC-equipped vehicle, then you should run SYNC My iTunes. Click this link to download and use SYNC My iTunes.

I got on syncmyride.com and there is also software to download that when I ran it did some updates to the iTunes library. it was called syncmyiTunes. This is the description, there are phone and windows versions also. SYNCMyiTunes MAC Client

Are you using iTunes with your media player and having trouble indexing your music with SYNC? SYNC My iTunes may be able to help. It's a downloadable software program that corrects common errors in your iTunes music library, so that your music can be indexed by SYNC. If SYNC communicates that it is unable to index all the music on your media player when you plug it into your SYNC-equipped vehicle, then you should run SYNC My iTunes. Click this link to download and use SYNC My iTunes.

That's good to know. I'll check it out if my old iPod has issues.

The software must index library and send the info with the music. This takes the load off the mytouch