My Ford/Lincoln Touch

My iphone4 connected fine when I picked up my car. The next day it would not connect. I tried everything, rebooting the phone, deleting it from SYNC and trying to re pair it, etc. Nothing worked. Then someone on these forums suggested to pull the fuse that powers SYNC and reinsert it (forcing a reboot) and I was able to pair it again. That was earlier today so we will see if it holds the connection. Obviously I should not have had to do that.

Second, the SYNC website indicated there was an update available that was not installed on my car. I did the update and the SYNC system said it was successful. Then I went to the SYNC website to send the successful install to Ford and I got an error. The SYNC online chat tech said I did not need that update. It was already installed. He said the SYNC website was wrong.

Otherwise, I wish the response on the touch screen was faster. I seems to lag after you hit your selection. Before I bought the car, I watched the online video on the Lincoln website and it showed a very fast response when hitting the touchscreen. Now I am thinking they may have speeded up that video for promo purposes. Hopefully, they will be able to speed this up with software and firmware updates.

I have the 2011 Edge with My Ford Touch.

There is definitely some lag time sometimes and not so much others. Doesn't seem to matter which screen you're using. I have to remind myself to be patient because it does finally catch up and then will go to far if you've hit the button to many time while being impatient.

Also the other day while using the voice commands to set an destination in navigation the whole system shut down. I was still able to drive the car but the entire center screen was black. After about 2 minutes it restarted itself and has been working fine ever since.

I'm hoping future updates will fix these little glitches.

I have the 2011 Edge with My Ford Touch.

There is definitely some lag time sometimes and not so much others. Doesn't seem to matter which screen you're using. I have to remind myself to be patient because it does finally catch up and then will go to far if you've hit the button to many time while being impatient.

Also the other day while using the voice commands to set an destination in navigation the whole system shut down. I was still able to drive the car but the entire center screen was black. After about 2 minutes it restarted itself and has been working fine ever since.

I'm hoping future updates will fix these little glitches.

Sounds like it rebooted itself while you were driving.

My TDI (services) is not working...I was told it dials the incorrect number and I need to take it back to the dealership to be reprogrammed...Besides that not too many complaints except for the complaint that everyone has about the hazard light switch position

Edited by samskudd

My TDI (services) is not working...I was told it dials the incorrect number and I need to take it back to the dealership to be reprogrammed...Besides that not too many complaints except for the complaint that everyone has about the hazard light switch position

Yep - I keep finding that hazard switch too - have to train myself not to rest the palm of my hand on it.

Yep - I keep finding that hazard switch too - have to train myself not to rest the palm of my hand on it.

What we all need here is a little triangle-shaped cap that can snap over the hazard button. It can't be too thick, though.

When you must use it, just snap it off and press - like a "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" case. :sos:

Who can make one of those? I'd pay... hhmmm... 5 bucks for one. :woot:

My iphone4 connected fine when I picked up my car. The next day it would not connect. I tried everything, rebooting the phone, deleting it from SYNC and trying to re pair it, etc. Nothing worked. Then someone on these forums suggested to pull the fuse that powers SYNC and reinsert it (forcing a reboot) and I was able to pair it again. That was earlier today so we will see if it holds the connection. Obviously I should not have had to do that.

I had the same issue in my 2010. I haven't had the issue with the 2011 yet but I know it's happened before. It will work fine with my phone but I am not able to stream music to it or anything like that. Pulling the fuse (it was #3 in the 2010) and waiting 10-15 seconds before putting it back in corrected it last time. You definitely should NOT have to do that and it should probably hold the connection.

Second, the SYNC website indicated there was an update available that was not installed on my car. I did the update and the SYNC system said it was successful. Then I went to the SYNC website to send the successful install to Ford and I got an error. The SYNC online chat tech said I did not need that update. It was already installed. He said the SYNC website was wrong.

I've read this once already. There seems to be an issue with the Sync website right now regarding new 2011 models and this latest "patch" that it says it doesn't have.

Otherwise, I wish the response on the touch screen was faster. I seems to lag after you hit your selection. Before I bought the car, I watched the online video on the Lincoln website and it showed a very fast response when hitting the touchscreen. Now I am thinking they may have speeded up that video for promo purposes. Hopefully, they will be able to speed this up with software and firmware updates.

I find it lags quite a bit when you first start the car and for the first few minutes. I guess it's still loading behind the scene (because there's quite a lot of software running and they probably load the necessary bits quickly and first and display those and things like the radio stations and Travel Info load slowly). After 2-3 minutes of the car being on though I find that it's quicker and responsive. I've also found that you have to press the screen harder with your finger than you would say with your iPhone. It's not the same "touch" technology than the iPhone has. It's probably two screens that lay on top of each other and register when they're pushed together - whereas the iPhone has a different sensor for it's screens altogether.

• 3 months later...

Had my 2011 Lincoln MKX since November 2010 and I'm not very happy with the My Touch system, I've had too many problems, eg. system rebooting, Bluetooth disconnecting, voice command not working, etc. The dealer that I bought the car from is terrible, they don't know how to treat customers, so bad that I had to switch to a different servicing dealer. The new servicing dealer is fantastic, I've brought the car in4 times in the first month of ownership. I was away for December so I wasn't able to bring the car in again until now. I.M.O. Ford released the system without fully testing it, typical of American auto manufacturers. The dealer told me that there are about 13 faults with the software. They have erased and reloaded the software which has improved the system however it is not 100%. I don't understand why Ford feels that when a consumer spends over $50,000 they should be satisfied with a substandard system in a car. So far I regret buying a Ford product and I'm sorry that I didn't stick with another Audi product, which I had before. The Audi was a great car, no problems, servicing easy, dealers value customer relationships.

Stay away from the Edge or MKX with the new My Touch system, it's not worth the aggravation. If you want a Ford product try to buy one without the new My Touch system, the old system works fine. I have a friend with a 2011 Taurus with My Touch (old system) and he's very happy with his car.

Had my 2011 Lincoln MKX since November 2010 and I'm not very happy with the My Touch system, I've had too many problems, eg. system rebooting, Bluetooth disconnecting, voice command not working, etc. The dealer that I bought the car from is terrible, they don't know how to treat customers, so bad that I had to switch to a different servicing dealer. The new servicing dealer is fantastic, I've brought the car in4 times in the first month of ownership. I was away for December so I wasn't able to bring the car in again until now. I.M.O. Ford released the system without fully testing it, typical of American auto manufacturers. The dealer told me that there are about 13 faults with the software. They have erased and reloaded the software which has improved the system however it is not 100%. I don't understand why Ford feels that when a consumer spends over $50,000 they should be satisfied with a substandard system in a car. So far I regret buying a Ford product and I'm sorry that I didn't stick with another Audi product, which I had before. The Audi was a great car, no problems, servicing easy, dealers value customer relationships.

Stay away from the Edge or MKX with the new My Touch system, it's not worth the aggravation. If you want a Ford product try to buy one without the new My Touch system, the old system works fine. I have a friend with a 2011 Taurus with My Touch (old system) and he's very happy with his car.

Did you get the latest update? It should address all the issues you mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...

Touch input response is very sluggish on the 2011's and there is a significant delay from when a graphic is touched to when the system recognizes that touch.

This unresponsiveness is constant and does not depend on whether the system has had time to load all needed data.

You nearly have to push and hold the screen to activate items which makes this 'touch screen' very frustrating to use.

Ford should instead rename this product MyFord Push.

Edited by dk0r

Touch input response is very sluggish on the 2011's and there is a significant delay from when a graphic is touched to when the system recognizes that touch.

This unresponsiveness is constant and does not depend on whether the system has had time to load all needed data.

You nearly have to push and hold the screen to activate items which makes this 'touch screen' very frustrating to use.

Not on mine! Have you had the latest update!

I picked up my 2011 Edge Sport on Wednesday. I have not had any issues with the Touch system. It did reboot once on my way home from the dealer, but figured that occurred because the sales guy and I did some of the updates from the website vs. in the vehicle right before I left.

I do think the system has a slight delay at times, however I am not sure yet if it is the system or me still getting used to the touch - applying the right amount of pressure for the right amount of time, etc. This is similar to what I experienced when I recently switched to a new smart phone and it took me a bit of time to get used to it.

Thanks.

Pressure isn't needed. Simply touching should work. It's all about location location location. If you don't find the right spot, my touch won't feel it.

I guess if you press harder, you finger spreads out to make contact to the undersized hot spot

Pressure isn't needed. Simply touching should work. It's all about location location location. If you don't find the right spot, my touch won't feel it.

I guess if you press harder, you finger spreads out to make contact to the undersized hot spot

True, you don't need to press hard. I think people do that simply out of frustration with how slow and unresponsive the system is. First thing my wife does when I start the car is to press her seat heater button repeatedly because there's no indication the first, second, third or fourth press did a darn thing. Of course by doing that she's cycled through all the settings and turned her seat heater off. Me, i've learned to press once and wait a few seconds for something to happen. If nothing happens, rinse and repeat. Brutal way to design a modern touch screen interface.

My screens speed along most of the time, but every once in awhile the system gets crabby and takes it's time. Sometimes when I push the command button, takes the system time to respond. I think she's waiting for a bribery gift from Jareds.

I sure wish we had a task manager so we could find out process is consuming resources.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Mine works only occasionally. I have been to the dealership three times over three months and nothing seems to help. My conclusion is that this system has serious problems and Ford is hiding the problem. I am so frustrated that I am selling the car. Punch line is that someone should never buy a car with this system.

Mine works only occasionally. I have been to the dealership three times over three months and nothing seems to help. My conclusion is that this system has serious problems and Ford is hiding the problem. I am so frustrated that I am selling the car. Punch line is that someone should never buy a car with this system.

You are correct that some vehicles are still having serious problems, but there are other owners (Edge, Explorer and Focus) that are having few or no problems. But Ford is not hiding anything. They have continued to put out new software releases trying to fix the problem and they've publicly acknowledged the issues. They are also working internally to completely rewrite the software. They know they screwed up big time and they're trying to fix it. Unfortunately it can't be fixed overnight.

Has your dealer applied the latest software update and/or considered replacing the APIM? You might want to give another dealer a shot at fixing it.

• Like 1

Yesterday my lawyer sent a letter to Ford to start the Lemon Law process over MFT. I have had it in 5 times in 8 months, an updated software every time and new module once. Am on 2.11 now, but still problems. I can't have them keep saying "oh, just wait another x weeks and there is a new update coming out." Then a week after that update is installed and I start having problems again, they say, "oh, just wait another x weeks for a new update."

Yesterday my lawyer sent a letter to Ford to start the Lemon Law process over MFT. I have had it in 5 times in 8 months, an updated software every time and new module once. Am on 2.11 now, but still problems. I can't have them keep saying "oh, just wait another x weeks and there is a new update coming out." Then a week after that update is installed and I start having problems again, they say, "oh, just wait another x weeks for a new update."

Don't blame you. Good luck.

• Like 1