iPhone contact photos?

Hi All,

Not a biggie but does anyone know how to get the iPhone's phonebook contact photos to download so they appear on the touch screen alongside the contact telephone numbers? I have the setting to download contact photos enabled but the pictures don't display. Other than that everything else works fine: phone syncs up everytime, displays all call information, can control ipod via touch screen using usb.

Hi All,

Not a biggie but does anyone know how to get the iPhone's phonebook contact photos to download so they appear on the touch screen alongside the contact telephone numbers? I have the setting to download contact photos enabled but the pictures don't display. Other than that everything else works fine: phone syncs up everytime, displays all call information, can control ipod via touch screen using usb.

I have the same issue, and it's annoying me too. Anybody...?

Maybe your phone is not compatible with this feature. Follow the link below for a compatibility check:

http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_1_30.pdf

Hope this helps.

That list can't be up to date -- my iPhone supports Audio Streaming and Ring Tone Transfer.

(No SMS, however -- but we know that's due to Apple's lack of support in their Bluetooth implementation)

No mention anywhere in that PDF of phonebook photos, anyway.

Maybe your phone is not compatible with this feature. Follow the link below for a compatibility check:

http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_1_30.pdf

Hope this helps.

This list is REALLY out of date. iPhone 4 is not on it.

I just today got my 2011 Edge with MFT (which is awesome :happy feet: ) but the Bluetooth is very bad :censored: . The phone aspects work, but contact photo's don't port as noted above. In addition the Bluetooth audio BARELY works. You can only select music, etc from the phone interface directly and use the MFT intervace pause/skip. The media data will not "index", artwork does not transfer, etc. It basically just plays and you need to fumble with your phone to change/browse media. Lastly, the iPhone 4 does not work with the text message feature ( :finger:boo ). I basically have to connect via USB to get optimal control via FMT of my media. This makes my iPhone very sad as it is being treated like a basic iPod. :banghead:

If any Ford Engineers or Marketing People monitor these forums: I love my Edge LTD. Best car ever owned. The iPhone is one of the best selling smart phones, so PLEASE PLEASE update the software to work with the iPhone better so all the cool features your sales materials show actually will work for customers. :shades:

So - I am wondering... I know that pictures have to be a certain size to be able to use them as wall paper. I am wondering if maybe this is why our contact pictures from our iPhone's aren't showing up? Maybe they are either too big? or they are the wrong format?

Has anyone been successful at getting this to work?

So - I am wondering... I know that pictures have to be a certain size to be able to use them as wall paper. I am wondering if maybe this is why our contact pictures from our iPhone's aren't showing up? Maybe they are either too big? or they are the wrong format?

Has anyone been successful at getting this to work?

Tried this myself today without any luck. Resized my pictures but still could not view them

Well, we are all thinking alike at least. I could see it being a stupid apple/microsoft thing...

I think it's just a Microsoft thing. I have the same issue with contact pictures not downloading from my Motorola Droid. Can't get BT audio to work either.

I think it's just a Microsoft thing. I have the same issue with contact pictures not downloading from my Motorola Droid. Can't get BT audio to work either.

We can only hope between Apple, Microsoft and Google they will all update software enough to eventually get them to work.

You would think the most popular phones on the planet (iPhone and Droid) would work with text messaging, contact pictures, and rock solid BT streaming on launch of the new MFT/MLT. :finger:

The Dream: MFT will have an app that lets the touch screen just emulate the iPhone screen when you have iPhone connected via USB. A boy can dream the impossible dream.... :rockon:

Oh, I did finally post something on Apple forums on this as I could not find a thread...likely as MFT is so new.

Edited by xphile

The Dream: MFT will have an app that lets the touch screen just emulate the iPhone screen when you have iPhone connected via USB. A boy can dream the impossible dream.... :rockon:

Hey, I had the same dream.... too bad at this point it's looking like just that and nothing more.

ALTHOUGH -- you COULD use the dock connector to video out, and get some apps to work on your touchscreen.

CONS: wouldn't work while driving, and no touch functionality.

I asked Sync support which phones support voicing text messages. There are only three Verizon phones. I have Verizon cell phone service and was up for my new-every-two and my current phone coincidentally crapped out. So I got an LG "Cosmos." I don't want a Droid or other smartphone. And the LG was free. Just a basic phone.

Contact photos don't upload for it either. One weird thing I saw was the editing for one of the contacts for which I did have a photo assigned (but not displayed) asked if I wanted to delete the photo. So it knew there was one, but it couldn't - or wouldn't - display it.

Contact photos don't upload for it either. One weird thing I saw was the editing for one of the contacts for which I did have a photo assigned (but not displayed) asked if I wanted to delete the photo. So it knew there was one, but it couldn't - or wouldn't - display it.

Ah!! :doh:

This makes sense. I read when trying to import some pictures as the Wallpaper that if you have too high of a resolution photo, Sync displays as "black"/"nothing".

I think it is not a stretch to think, based on your comment, that the contact photos must also be a certain (likely low) resolution to display.

If I have a chance, I will add a "low rez" contact photo to a contact and see if it displays. UPDATE: It does not work. :angry:

:sos: For any FORD Sync people reading this: Add photo scaling/downrez functionality to Sync so any rez photo can be displayed (contacts, wallpaper, album artwork, and anyplace that external files come into the system from a user's source). It is a little thing, but it makes customer's grumble when the happy smiley people in your brochure can see THEIR contact photos on MFT but real customers cannot.

Important: I still love my Edge though, and this is one of a few small negatives vs. a huge list of "loves" for my new 2011 LTD! :shades:

Edited by xphile

What phone DOES Sync like for the contact photos?

My iPhone isn't supported so I dug out my old BlackBerry Curve and sent the phone book to the Edge. Still no photos.

Come on. 2 of the most popular types of phones are not supported?!!

I go to Ford Sync website to view the compatibility list and I get an error.

I think the Sync/MyTouch team has gone into hiding because they sold us a bill of goods and people are beginning to realize it.

How the hell can they get away with marketing all these features if they only work on one type of phone....and then don't let you know what phone that is! WTF?

redcard.gif

Edited by wilsons66604

What phone DOES Sync like for the contact photos?

My iPhone isn't supported so I dug out my old BlackBerry Curve and sent the phone book to the Edge. Still no photos.

Come on. 2 of the most popular types of phones are not supported?!!

I go to Ford Sync website to view the compatibility list and I get an error.

I think the Sync/MyTouch team has gone into hiding because they sold us a bill of goods and people are beginning to realize it.

How the hell can they get away with marketing all these features if they only work on one type of phone....and then don't let you know what phone that is! WTF?

redcard.gif

I agree with you on this. The advertisement stated the following:

- Sync Services - weather updates, road conditions, etc. Only available in US. No mention of Canada in the works

- Text to speech - I have a fairly new Bberry not supported. Wife has a new Samsung not supported. was told that again this is not a Canada offer. wtf.

- Contact Photos,- none to be shown.

- Album Art work Scroll - I have quite a large assortment of albums on my iPod and the "Advertisements" show that it will scroll like on itunes. Not.

If they are not going to offer content regionally then they should state that.

quite disappointed.

m

• 3 weeks later...

- Album Art work Scroll - I have quite a large assortment of albums on my iPod and the "Advertisements" show that it will scroll like on itunes. Not.

Just curious what part of this doesn't work? I just ordered a 2011 Edge Sport and have my iphone 4 that im only using for phone sync and an iPod classic for my music. Does the album artwork show up at all, or are you just saying the album navigation is slow?

Just curious what part of this doesn't work? I just ordered a 2011 Edge Sport and have my iphone 4 that im only using for phone sync and an iPod classic for my music. Does the album artwork show up at all, or are you just saying the album navigation is slow?

Standard MP3 artwork displays when a song is played.

To get the snazzy (useless) carousel to work, You have to use the system's GraceNote (limited) artwork database. Then browse albums while in park. Pretty lame

• 1 month later...

I agree with you on this. The advertisement stated the following:

- Sync Services - weather updates, road conditions, etc. Only available in US. No mention of Canada in the works

- Text to speech - I have a fairly new Bberry not supported. Wife has a new Samsung not supported. was told that again this is not a Canada offer. wtf.

- Contact Photos,- none to be shown.

If they are not going to offer content regionally then they should state that.

quite disappointed.

m

It looks like everybody has gone underground .... has this been resolved? Or has everyone given up? What really frustrates me is that there doesn't really seem to be anyplace to take these complaints. We all sit here and grumble about it, and Ford and Syncmyride and MyTouch flood the net with places we can find out about the wonders of Ford, but no where at all can help be found for this issue. My salesman tells me that he "thinks maybe my iPhone isn't capable because Bill Gates and Steve Jobs don't get along". My service department says ..."that stuff is all too new for us, talk to your salesman" ... Don't get me wrong, I love my 2011 Edge ... but this kind of service (lack of service) is not cutting it for me .... I'm starting the phone calls today ... and every call will go to a higher level than the previous one. THEY OWE US AN ANSWER!!! please join me in calling till we get one.

It looks like everybody has gone underground .... has this been resolved? Or has everyone given up? What really frustrates me is that there doesn't really seem to be anyplace to take these complaints. We all sit here and grumble about it, and Ford and Syncmyride and MyTouch flood the net with places we can find out about the wonders of Ford, but no where at all can help be found for this issue. My salesman tells me that he "thinks maybe my iPhone isn't capable because Bill Gates and Steve Jobs don't get along". My service department says ..."that stuff is all too new for us, talk to your salesman" ... Don't get me wrong, I love my 2011 Edge ... but this kind of service (lack of service) is not cutting it for me .... I'm starting the phone calls today ... and every call will go to a higher level than the previous one. THEY OWE US AN ANSWER!!! please join me in calling till we get one.

Sorry ... looking back some comments seem to have changed the topic here ... my rant above relates to my EDGE's inability to display my contact photos.

Sorry ... looking back some comments seem to have changed the topic here ... my rant above relates to my EDGE's inability to display my contact photos.

Perhaps you missed the other discussions. It's your phone, not MFT. Wilson had a new Windows 7 phone and it does display contact photos. Your phone must support the feature otherwise MFT can't access it. Talk to your phone provider/mfr.

Correct Kirby. The Windows Phone 7 has the Bluetooth protocol that is needed to do Contact Photos and Audible SMS.

I listen to the TWIT podcasts and I've noticed that when Leo LaPorte does the Ford ads, he now states that "..and with the Samsung Focus (windows phone7), you get audible SMS..." This is new. In the past they never qualified that feature in their ads

Correct Kirby. The Windows Phone 7 has the Bluetooth protocol that is needed to do Contact Photos and Audible SMS.

I listen to the TWIT podcasts and I've noticed that when Leo LaPorte does the Ford ads, he now states that "..and with the Samsung Focus (windows phone7), you get audible SMS..." This is new. In the past they never qualified that feature in their ads

It would be nice if Ford could test and publish all of the feature compatibilities with all phones but given the huge number of new phones and OS versions and providers and how fast these change I don't see Ford being able to keep up with it - at least not without adding an entire team of full time testers.

They did a good job of this when Sync first appeared but things were much simpler then.

Perhaps you missed the other discussions. It's your phone, not MFT. Wilson had a new Windows 7 phone and it does display contact photos. Your phone must support the feature otherwise MFT can't access it. Talk to your phone provider/mfr.

I understand what you are saying ... and I do believe that a Windows 7 phone will interface better with Microsoft based Sync ... my beef is that the Ford supplied Videos, and all the commercials say ... " fa la la la la and there on the screen is the photo of your contact, so you can see just who is calling you." The commercials don't say ... "if you have a phone that happens to be made by the same company that provides the Sync software ..." My mistake was in buying the current top selling iPhone, before I bought my EDGE. And ... as of February, iPhones will be available on Verizon, and then there can be a few million more eligible to become unhappy EDGE customers. Again ... I really enjoy my EDGE, but I don't enjoy be sold a "bill of goods". If they knew it wouldn't work on iPhone, Ford should have said so. If they didn't know ... I'd like to know what else on the car went un-tested.

I understand what you are saying ... and I do believe that a Windows 7 phone will interface better with Microsoft based Sync ... my beef is that the Ford supplied Videos, and all the commercials say ... " fa la la la la and there on the screen is the photo of your contact, so you can see just who is calling you." The commercials don't say ... "if you have a phone that happens to be made by the same company that provides the Sync software ..." My mistake was in buying the current top selling iPhone, before I bought my EDGE. And ... as of February, iPhones will be available on Verizon, and then there can be a few million more eligible to become unhappy EDGE customers. Again ... I really enjoy my EDGE, but I don't enjoy be sold a "bill of goods". If they knew it wouldn't work on iPhone, Ford should have said so. If they didn't know ... I'd like to know what else on the car went un-tested.

Sorry - but get real - they aren't going to list all the phones that do or don't work perfectly with the system. This isn't something that is limited to the Iphone as not working, but really, Apple and Microsoft working perfectly? never.