2011 Ford Edge HID kit

• 4 weeks later...

I want to buy and HID kit for my 2011 edge. The new 2011 ford edge has HR2 Headlamp bulbs. I was wondering if retro-solutions makes HID's for the HR2 bulb. Is their another type of bulb that can be used in place of the HR2?

I currently own a 2011 Ford Edge Sport...the HIR2 bulbs can be replaced with a 9012 bulb..HOWEVER..the way the high beams work in these cars i'm not sure what the clearance inside the projector housing is...but if your looking for a decent kit for a great price check out www.HIDGEEKS.com...I'll be placing my order very soon for a 55w 6000k 9012 kit with the relay harness and 5 year warranty for around 55 bucks....

I currently own a 2011 Ford Edge Sport...the HIR2 bulbs can be replaced with a 9012 bulb..HOWEVER..the way the high beams work in these cars i'm not sure what the clearance inside the projector housing is...but if your looking for a decent kit for a great price check out www.HIDGEEKS.com...I'll be placing my order very soon for a 55w 6000k 9012 kit with the relay harness and 5 year warranty for around 55 bucks....

Spoke with retro-solutions.com and they said that I can replace the HIR2 bubls with 9006 bulbs. is this true?

Hi !

I own a sport 2011 that got here on tuesday...one word.. Wonderrrrful !

Now...I was also interested in HID from the Limited but the beauty of the sport (wheels, body paint..) and paddles got the order from me.

I do not know much about HID..but I read somewhere here that the factory option was like 2k $

Between $55. and 2K $, Someone has to explain things to me..

Cheers

Edited by Stephen

I heard that when you use 9006 bulbs in place of a 9012 bulb that it requires trimming of the plastic on the bulb...not sure if its using a 9006 in a 9012 housing or vice versa....however...why use a 9006 kit when Retro-Solutions has 9012 kits that come with a "2011 Ford Edge harness"....Im ordering from them tomorrow cause the factory bulbs SUCK!!....they give us nice LED strips and projectors but they take away the HID option for Sport models...i don't get it but whatever....go with what you know will fit before you end up going through a process of ordering and returning simply because some "says" it will fit...

I heard that when you use 9006 bulbs in place of a 9012 bulb that it requires trimming of the plastic on the bulb...not sure if its using a 9006 in a 9012 housing or vice versa....however...why use a 9006 kit when Retro-Solutions has 9012 kits that come with a "2011 Ford Edge harness"....Im ordering from them tomorrow cause the factory bulbs SUCK!!....they give us nice LED strips and projectors but they take away the HID option for Sport models...i don't get it but whatever....go with what you know will fit before you end up going through a process of ordering and returning simply because some "says" it will fit...

So? Did you get them?

Does it work?

I'm confused... it seems like I'm not the only one. I just pulled one of my headlamp bulbs, it's a Philips and it's labeled with both the HIR2 and the 9012 number. So what gives?

Could someone please advise what I can change to get the light output brighter, more like my 540i and Cayenne? I like this Edge Sport, but the lighting leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm really surprised that the rocket scientists at Ford marketing decided to not offer HID headlights on the Sport. As much as I wanted the Sport, I bought the Limited, because I wanted HID's. Someone also mentioned that Homelink is also not available on the Sport...WTF ?

Agreed, There has been some discussion that Ford is trying to separate the Edge from the MKX which is why you can't get those options on the Sport. (Along with adaptive cruise).

I just picked my Sport up yesterday and love it. Homelink missing is not too bad since there are tons of little spots to keep/stick the garage door remote.

But I definitely miss the HID as the lights are decently bright but just don't have that crisp brightness as Xenon. Will most likely get the RetroSolutions HID kit which is less than $200. Maybe I can consider it a cost savings as long as I can figure out how to install it. rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hello all I just bought my Ford Edge Sport last Wednesday and i installed a 9006 kit with a relay harness and so far everything has been workng fine.. i post pics shortly

Did you ever get those pics? I am considering an HID kit but would like more info.

For those who have already installed HID's, what did you do with the caps that you have to remove to access the bulb? The cap does not go back on with the wiring harness. Do you just leave off?

You drill a 1" hole in the center of that cap. All of the wiring goes through that hole. The HID bulbs will have a grommet attached to seal the hole. It works out quite well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Question about the 9006 bulb on the 2011 Edge... The stock bulb has a larger tab than the 9006. Did this cause cause any fitment issues? Loose fit?

Also, do the 2011 Edge have a "blinder" that lifts for the high beam? If this is the case, the first few flashes won't be very bright or effective, right?

btw, what's the clunking noise I hear when the headlight comes on or when the high beam is flashed during the day? Is it just my car?

Sorry for all the questions!

I converted mine over to a hid 9006 kit. Everything works just fine i used a relay harness and everything but my beam pattern looks like @#$& ...i dont know what is wrong with it the bulbs seam to fit fine and tight . Looks like everything is to the right and its black in the middle of the road its so anoying. Any idea ..could it be the bulbs . Mn ai dont know so dissapointed im ready to rip them out and throw the sticks back in. I will see if i can take some pics. Any idea please let me know. Thanks

I converted mine over to a hid 9006 kit. Everything works just fine i used a relay harness and everything but my beam pattern looks like @#$& ...i dont know what is wrong with it the bulbs seam to fit fine and tight . Looks like everything is to the right and its black in the middle of the road its so anoying. Any idea ..could it be the bulbs . Mn ai dont know so dissapointed im ready to rip them out and throw the sticks back in. I will see if i can take some pics. Any idea please let me know. Thanks

it is possible that you put the bulbs in upside down. I would take them out and try to re-place them back into the housing. I noticed when I was putting my bulbs in that I was able to get them in and only catch 2 of the 3 tabs .the only reason I knew they were in wrong was because I had a funky beam pattern .

I just came on here to post that exact same thing. When i finished my post i was sitting here and it was pissing me off. I then thought that exact same idea since the tabs were diff from the original that you could most likely flip the bulb around. So i went out and messed with it and booyah! Thats what it was but thank you for the reply i appreciate it. It is weird if you think about it ...the bulb ir round so why would it really matter what position it is in. The pattern seams to be tight but seams like it is lacking on the outside left and right. Ill see if anyone had any posted pics on here to compare. Thanks again.

Edited by Mystichrome

• 6 months later...

it is possible that you put the bulbs in upside down. I would take them out and try to re-place them back into the housing. I noticed when I was putting my bulbs in that I was able to get them in and only catch 2 of the 3 tabs .the only reason I knew they were in wrong was because I had a funky beam pattern .

Hey Edgieguy, I'm new to the Edge Sport world (picked up my 2012 Red one 3 days ago) and i must say that i had no complaints or intentions on changing anything until nightfall occurred... WTF?!?! they should sell nightvision goggles with these things.. I'm doing lots of research, and I am also considering going with DDM's 55w (4500k) HID kit in the 9006 style. Just one question for you, since you seem to have the 55w set up for the longest that ive found out of everyone on here. Have you had any problems with continued use of the HID's? in other words, are your housings around the bulbs melting/warping, or have you had any problems with the hi/lo beam actuators sticking etc.. I've got my finger over DDM's "checkout" button but im worried about damage to the vehicle's headlight housings.

Thanks,

-Joe

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a stupid question but will you still have high and low beams if you upgrade to HID?

Simple answer, yes.

All you're doing is replacing the halogen bulb with a different type of bulb. It needs a few extra pieces to make it light up (ballasts, maybe a wiring harness), but if you had high and low beams before, you'll have them with HIDs'.