2011 Ford Edge HID kit

I have a 2011 Ford edge. Installed the set recommended by retro solutions for my edge. I used the 5000k lamps, made a big difference and had no problem with the installation once they emailed the proper hookup for these lights. The instructions that come with the kit is confusing (wiriing diagram).

So I called and they sent me a hookup which was easier to understand. I'm a electrician/electronic tech by trade so once I recieved this it was easy. Have had these installed for over a month with no problem, I went with slim line ballast and mounted them with holes that where provide already by ford. Used the same ground points ford used for factory ground lugs. Also every ground lug where the ground wires where crimped I made sure of a good joint by also applying solder at these points.

Hope this helps.

I drove a 2003 Mercedes CLK with HID's for the last 8 years and I thought I will be disappointed with the 2011 Ford Edge Sport, but the standards beams are ok for me. Btw installing US HIDs and using them on public roads in Germany would require additional modifications to fit German regulations. :-( I have to wait for a DV (green card) to move to the US and bring the Edge with me. Then I can also upgrade to HIDs.....

Well even in the states the aftermarket HID kits are illegal for street use. I am not even sure if you do a projector retro if that is enough...I think you have to have auto-leveling.

But with that said I would agree that the stock bulbs are pretty good. I am still tempted to upgrade to 55W HIDs especially since in the last week I have seen three bears hit on the side of the road and at least a dozen deer. Any help I can get in spotting them will make me a little more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any issues regarding warranty or the dealer questioning you about putting the aftermarket HID lights on your cars? The reason I ask is a neighbor has a 2010 Kia Sorento which also has projector headlights. Like the Ford Edge the lighting was not impressive. So he added HID's, and later on when he took his car into the dealer for maintenance the tech saw the HID kit and noted it in his file. The service writer told him that by adding the HID kit he has voided his warranty in regards to the electrical system. I dont know if this is even legal in California or if the dealer was using this just as a scare tactic. So has anyone else had any dealer or warranty issues with adding HID's?

Has anyone had any issues regarding warranty or the dealer questioning you about putting the aftermarket HID lights on your cars? The reason I ask is a neighbor has a 2010 Kia Sorento which also has projector headlights. Like the Ford Edge the lighting was not impressive. So he added HID's, and later on when he took his car into the dealer for maintenance the tech saw the HID kit and noted it in his file. The service writer told him that by adding the HID kit he has voided his warranty in regards to the electrical system. I dont know if this is even legal in California or if the dealer was using this just as a scare tactic. So has anyone else had any dealer or warranty issues with adding HID's?

I've heard of smart junction boxes being messed up by HIDs and those maybe not being covered, but not other electrical problems. It's perfectly legal if there is a reasonable connection between the HIDs and the part that was damaged. I doubt that they would do anything unless it was a part that was directly connected to the HIDs (like the SJB) but I don't know how Kia operates.

Hi NIKAL. :D Just to add some more information to what akirby stated: No, it is not a "scare tactic". Simply put, automakers (all of them, not just Ford) Warranty the vehicle exactly the way it was delivered from the factory. Once you modify any part of the car, any future issue even remotely linkable to that modification can/may lead to a denied Warranty claim concerning that problem (if the automaker discovers the modification). No automakers care for aftermarket modifications, since they often lead to Warranty repairs. If you read your Warranty Guide, it specifically covers and explains the possible Warranty ramifications concerning modifying our cars.

Bottom line? If you install an aftermarket HID kit (which by the way, is illegal for on-road use in the low-beam position in all of the U.S., Canada and Europe, no exceptions), Ford is well within their rights to deny any future Warranty claim concerning the lighting system, electrical system, SJB (Smart Junction Box), fuse problems etc. etc.. And yes, there have been denied Warranty claims for blown SJB's and other electrical issues concerning aftermarket HID kits. And no, Ford/the Dealer do not have to "prove" the HID kit caused the problem to deny the Warranty claim. It has happened in the past and will happen again in the future. And contrary to what some believe and may post here, the "Magnuson-Moss Act" gives absolutely no protection against this type of denied Warranty claim (notice I state "denied Warranty claim", not "voided Warranty", since they are two different animals).

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

• 2 months later...

For those that went with the 9006 bulbs, did you get a correct fit and proper beam pattern? I'm have a helluva time trying to get my 9006 bulbs fit into the housing (from The Retrofit Source). I can get 2 to catch but not the 3rd. Its really difficult because I cannot see what I'm doing its all done blindly.

Do I have to trim the bulb tabs on the 9006?

For those that went with the 9006 bulbs, did you get a correct fit and proper beam pattern? I'm have a helluva time trying to get my 9006 bulbs fit into the housing (from The Retrofit Source). I can get 2 to catch but not the 3rd. Its really difficult because I cannot see what I'm doing its all done blindly.

Do I have to trim the bulb tabs on the 9006?

I was able to get mine to fit without trimming the tabs although I needed to use an inspection mirror to keep checking to see if they were installed correctly. Overall, a huge PITA.

I was able to get mine to fit without trimming the tabs although I needed to use an inspection mirror to keep checking to see if they were installed correctly. Overall, a huge PITA.

Thanks Dr. Before I go through the PITA and the skinned fingers again I wanted to be sure it could be done without trimming. So once seated your beam patters and cut off are good no issues?

Thanks Dr. Before I go through the PITA and the skinned fingers again I wanted to be sure it could be done without trimming. So once seated your beam patters and cut off are good no issues?

Yes, beam patterns and cutoff are fine. If they aren't then you might not have the bulb seated correctly (even with a mirror it took me a couple of tries the first time).

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...