2011 Edge Sport AWD 22' rims question

Jonny Zero

I am changing my tires to 17". The salesman states that he has other sport owners that never change over nor use winter tires, but looking at those big beautiful 22" rims want me to keep them just that, beautiful. I am also worried about snow build up inside the rim that might cause the wheel to be thrown off balance. Another plus of changing size is that the orginal rubber should last a little longer. But just my 2c.

Would you keep these beautiful rims and low profile tires on during the cold, unpredictable Ontario Canada winter? Will the salt hurt them despite being aluminum alloys? Will mint traction turn deadly under snowy conditions?

Any and all feedback welcomed!!!

Thanks

Lots of warm water hand washes followed by a coating of WD40. The silicone doesn't allow the brine of road salt to pit and stain the polished aluminum in between washes. This is what Ill be doing throughout New Jerseys salty and harsh winter. the tires seem to have a lot of fans for there winter weather performance. Sure, there are plenty of haters too, but read for yourself and decide.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Zero+Asimmetrico&partnum=64WR2SCOR0AXLV2

Would you keep these beautiful rims and low profile tires on during the cold, unpredictable Ontario Canada winter? Will the salt hurt them despite being aluminum alloys? Will mint traction turn deadly under snowy conditions?

Any and all feedback welcomed!!!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Glad you're not Ford's designers then because the 22s on the Sport look great. Up close they do look huuuge but when you look at the entire car, they fit just right.

When you look at pic's, it makes the Edge look small when there is nothing to compare it to, but I love my 22's :shades:

I did get a set of 18's for the winter though to keep my 22's pretty, but now I'm lovin my new 18's, their pretty too, but don't hug the road like the bigguns.

I gotta say that I dislike wheels in the 22" range usually referring to them as wagon wheels. Then again I have to admit that these ARE good looking wheels on the car. I wouldnt buy em because I"m the type that chafes knowing how much they hurt performance but I do have to grudgingly admit they look good in this application with this particular wheel. Since I decided to move from the sport to the mkx it turned out it didnt matter as it wasnt a choice anyways. I believe I would have craigslisted them for decent ching and bought aftermarket as none of the other wheels caught my fancy.

• 1 month later...

I would never put anything bigger than a 20 on an edge.

I am with you "Fox".

I have a 2010 Edge "SPORT". (Which b/t/w personnally, I do not recommend the sport edition) with 45000 miles (yes I drive a lot)

I have had it w/the 22" wheels tires.

I have yet to get better than 20-MPG highway, city or a mix of both, though my commute is 60 miles every day, and I average 19 MPG.

One caveat: I have done some research and have discovered that huge wheels/tires do cost fuel economy. The rotational inertia and cross sectional area take energy to get them put into motion (in this case the energy is spelled 87 octane fuel) and to change the rotational speed takes energy as well (IE accelerate). Unfortunately the Sport edition has huge wheels/tires! ^:- (

Here's some corroboration:

Wheel Diameter vs Fuel Economy

I also feel the 22" wheels hurt performance: Does anyone notice that to get their 2010 Edge Sport to accelerate when at highway speeds(70-75), especially if in overdrive, that you have to depress the accelerator enough to get the transmission to shift down about 2 gears or so and bring the RPM up to about 3K before their Edge will speed up?

I have also noticed that the Ford Edge is very speed sensitive in relation to MPG. 65 does seem to be the top of the 'sweet' spot, with anything over that speed (at least in the doggy 2010 'SPORT' edition) causing MPG to drop off rapidly. With the cruise control set at 75-80 MPH, (yes, of course I'm in a state with 75 MPH speed limit) my MPG is barely 19. Also, If you have ANY head wind...MPG can easily drop to 17 and I have once gotten 15.5 with a strong head wind! I know that Ford has realized they made a "dog" in the 2010 Edge Sport edition, and they have attempted to fixed the problem for 2011 with 3.7 liter 300+ horsepower engine, but that does not help me one bit since I have a 2010. My next move is to get ride of those 22" mamba wheels that the Sport edition comes with and get much smaller/lower frontal area 18 or 17" wheels. Especially as it looks like we will be staring $4.00 a gallon gas in the face very soon now! (Oh, also, those big 22" tires are have a soft compound rubber and look to only last about 50,000 miles. WAIT till you price out replacement tires for the Sport edition! Yikes....$200 a tire is cheap!)

?? So, does anyone know if 5 bolt ford explorer wheels fit an Edge? I can get a good deal on a set of 4 that look very similar to the Edge 18" wheels.

Thx

Edited by Duckman

I gotta say that I dislike wheels in the 22" range usually referring to them as wagon wheels. Then again I have to admit that these ARE good looking wheels on the car. I wouldnt buy em because I"m the type that chafes knowing how much they hurt performance but I do have to grudgingly admit they look good in this application with this particular wheel. Since I decided to move from the sport to the mkx it turned out it didnt matter as it wasnt a choice anyways. I believe I would have craigslisted them for decent ching and bought aftermarket as none of the other wheels caught my fancy.

You are so right Crabman. They hurt performance and thus fuel economy. Here...See what Car and Driver magazine had to say about the issue:

Wheel Diameter vs Fuel Econonmy and Performance

I've had it w/mine. I'm going to get some 17 or 18" wheels as soon at these tires wear out...WHICH btw is about 5000 miles from now. The Pirelli Pzero Scorpion 265-40-22s are only going to last about 50K. AND try pricing out replacements...OUCH.

Edited by Duckman

You are so right Crabman. They hurt performance and thus fuel economy. I've had it w/mine. I'm going to get some 17 or 18" wheels as soon at these tires wear out...WHICH btw is about 5000 miles from now. The Pirelli Pzero Scorpion 265-40-22s are only going to last about 50K. AND try pricing out replacements...OUCH.

let us know when u sell your 22s. Interested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just took off 18" winter tires & rims and put big boys back on. The only problem I found with 18" tires it throws the speedo off big time.

Now the Edge is back where it needs to be. Would not run 22" in winter, too much salt on roads.

Dragster if your doing a proper "-" sizing on your tires when you do down from the 22in wheel to the 18' wheel your speedometer should not be off enough to be noticeable...

Dragster if your doing a proper "-" sizing on your tires when you do down from the 22in wheel to the 18' wheel your speedometer should not be off enough to be noticeable...

I agree with you but the closest I could get was about 1" smaller. It was hard to get snow tires this year as they were predicting a harsh winter so all were gone by the time I got the car.

Maybe they are not that far out it just most people around here drive like it is the Indy 500 at all times. When you are showing 60 MPH ( 90KMP) on your speedo in an 50 (80) zone and they are passing you like you are standing still.

Now I have had the 22" on for a month I think it is just me.

Love the car it gets lots of looks runs great.

I agree with you but the closest I could get was about 1" smaller. It was hard to get snow tires this year as they were predicting a harsh winter so all were gone by the time I got the car.

Maybe they are not that far out it just most people around here drive like it is the Indy 500 at all times. When you are showing 60 MPH ( 90KMP) on your speedo in an 50 (80) zone and they are passing you like you are standing still.

Now I have had the 22" on for a month I think it is just me.

Love the car it gets lots of looks runs great.

Here is a great link to determine what tire size does to your speedo :shift:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I take my 22" off in the winter and put on 18" rims with Toyo snows. . The 22's tires are wide and would tend to float on the snow. With the Toyo snows the edge was like a tank in the snow. It plowed through 3 ft drifts this year. I didn't really see a difference in mileage with the wheels since mileage drops in the winter anyway due to warming cycles. I like the look so i am going to stick with my 22's for the summer.

• 1 month later...