back window exploded..

2011sport

Hi guys

Today im in a bad mood. I was so happy, today was THE day I was picking up my new ford Edge (2011 sport)

I get a call right before I was about to leave for the dealership, they told me car cannot be delivered to you today because as we were washing it, the back window exploded... What do you guys suggest i do now?

Hi guys

Today im in a bad mood. I was so happy, today was THE day I was picking up my new ford Edge (2011 sport)

I get a call right before I was about to leave for the dealership, they told me car cannot be delivered to you today because as we were washing it, the back window exploded... What do you guys suggest i do now?

Wait for them to fix it and make sure it's a perfect repair.

Good Lord man...what were they doing..washing it with a nuclear powered power washer?? WTF??

Tell me about it im so upset. Now they tell me it could be a "short" in the defrost...and they are not even giving me options. They say I HAVE to take this truck or ill lose my 1000$ deposit. Not helpfull at all, its like they dont give a &^%&$!

I went to see it and thank god there are no scratched its just the window. What a bummer

Tell me about it im so upset. Now they tell me it could be a "short" in the defrost...and they are not even giving me options. They say I HAVE to take this truck or ill lose my 1000$ deposit. Not helpfull at all, its like they dont give a &^%&$!

I went to see it and thank god there are no scratched its just the window. What a bummer

They can tell you you HAVE to take that truck, but you can tell them you will not accept it until its 100% new condition.

What do you mean by "it could be a short in the defrost". Are they telling you that is what could have caused the window to break, or that the new window may be shorted out.

I'm no window tech, however I don't think a short would have done this, it wouldn't get the window that hot, i'd think it would blow a fuse first. I'd say it was installed incorrectly and something as simple as closing the trunk broke it, in which case, be happy it happened to them and not you or it would be hard to explain....or they smashed it with something and are not confessing to you that they did it.

If they are saying a replacement window is shorted, then its as simple as telling them to fix it or you don't accept it.

If they are going to replace it with no issues, I wouldn't be too worried as if they do it right, it won't be any different then new. I know its a P!ss off though that you'll have to wait to get it fixed.

Edited by AXCL

Well that's crazy, but if you didn't actually sign the contract then your deposit is refundable.

Hopefully you put the deposit on your credit card, and if so you can dispute the charge with the credit card company. Don't let them push you around.

That said, probably faster to have the glass replaced than to find an exact copy of your new Sport somewhere. Although, in principle I would be mad at them for trying to screw around with your deposit.

Good luck!

They need to work on their :cry: BS :cry: generator.

They should have told you “we are so busy we just can’t get them ready fast enough… The make ready dept has a stomach virus… The make ready guy’s wife is having a baby…etc.

Then call the glass co. to take one out of another Edge and put it in yours.

He’s obviously new; he’s opening himself up to all kinds of problems :wacko: , like a recall of ALL 2011’s for MAJOR electrical issues.

I bet his high school drop out son has finally got himself fired.

ab

They need to work on their :cry: BS :cry: generator.

They should have told you “we are so busy we just can’t get them ready fast enough… The make ready dept has a stomach virus… The make ready guy’s wife is having a baby…etc.

Then call the glass co. to take one out of another Edge and put it in yours.

He’s obviously new; he’s opening himself up to all kinds of problems :wacko: , like a recall of ALL 2011’s for MAJOR electrical issues.

I bet his high school drop out son has finally got himself fired.

ab

ablb what are you talking about? Speak english man

The window exploded while they were washing it, hmm?

Does the dealer have an automatic car wash (like gas stations or Mike's Carwash)? I ask because I know someone whose back window exploded when going through an automatic car wash. One of the rapidly spinning brushes caught on the rear wiper and torqued it so hard that it tore the wiper out of the rear window and most of the window with it. That's why Mike's Carwash puts those plastic slipcoveres over people's rear wipers before they go through the wash.

ablb what are you talking about? Speak english man

If the dealer had just told half the truth "it's not ready"

and fixed the "OPS we goffed" window!

We bought a Thunderbird with a broken switch.

The dealer told half the truth "it's broke... from the factory" and told the make ready to go take a swith off of anther car.

Then he had to tell the whole truth..."OPS :doh: he broke that one too, we've ordered several."

ab

ya I got the truth in a weird way! I play hockey on Friday nights and a new guy came to play with us and I heard from a friend that he works at the dealer where i purchased my car. As soon as I asked him: so tell me what happened to that brand new edge in the garage, the one that the window exploded>? His answer was: oh that was yours!? He told me that they were engraving the "sherlock" and THATS what broke the window. So at least I know the truth and its no big deal. The Edge sport is awesome but the Sync sux so far. Cant keep phone connected and the screen blanked out for half a day. I hope Ford has updates soon...

I doubt the window just broke on it's own. I'm sure somebody screwed up while washing it.

I've been told there is in the industry something called "new glass fatigue" and it primarily affects large rear window glass on newer vehicles. It happened to me on a nearly new Chrysler minivan whose rear window exploded while parked, as if it had been shot. (No, it had not been shot.) Chrysler eventually paid for the window replacement while admitting new vehicle windows can sometimes spontaneously break.

Though they never managed to remove all the broken glass fragments in rear door, which continued to rattle for years...

Edited by Ctrl-z

• 3 weeks later...

Working in the body shop industry for over 25 years I can tell you that at least 20% of the cars all dealers sell have had something happen to them. From minor stuff like this to large collision damage with structural panels having to be replaced.

The most common we have seen is the transport damage - a chain from the truck or something. The heavy collision I've seen has been only on demos.

Needless to say, I've had to give disappointing news to a few owners that their brand new car has had work done to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's crazy, but if you didn't actually sign the contract then your deposit is refundable.

Hopefully you put the deposit on your credit card, and if so you can dispute the charge with the credit card company. Don't let them push you around.

That said, probably faster to have the glass replaced than to find an exact copy of your new Sport somewhere. Although, in principle I would be mad at them for trying to screw around with your deposit.

Good luck!

I agree with the above. The have to take it or else is crap as long as you have not signed the acceptance paper. I have never heard a dealer doing that and 1K? normal is usually 500, something is wrong here.

Jack

• 1 year later...

Yesterday, went to get something out of my Ford Edge 2011, and closed the rear door and heard what sounded like something falling. My husband looked at the rear of the car and the rear glass was shattered. It had been only sitting in the driveway. I am wondering if my window exploded also. This is really disturbing! I have $250 deductible to get it fixed and will have to wait till pay day. I'm wondering if there are others with this problem also. Please let me know if you've heard of more rear window exploding or shattering problems.

Glass failures can occur without anything touching them, there is some type of fatigue damage that can occur. Obviously this one was due to the security engraving process but I've seen a few cars where windows just shattered without being touched, one was just driving down the highway and one was just sitting parked.

• 5 months later...