2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

I have something going on with the MFT system and my cell phone since we had version 2.11 installed at the dealer a few weeks ago. Anytime we do anything with the phone (sync, text, call, etc), the radio cuts out and beeps. Doesn't matter what it is. If the phone is connected and you do anything with the phone it does this. I'm pretty sure it didn't do that with version 2.8 we had. Is this normal? My apologies if this has been addressed previously, but I am fairly new to the forum and don't have time to read through all 30 pages of this post. Thanks! Scott

Does not sound normal to me.

Are you saying any input on the phone itself causes MFT to beep? Or controls to the phone section of MFT?

Does not sound normal to me.

Are you saying any input on the phone itself causes MFT to beep? Or controls to the phone section of MFT?

It's when we do anything with the phone. Not like anytime you push buttons, but if we get a text, the phone syncs to the car, we send a text. Things like that. It's just kind of annoying.

It's when we do anything with the phone. Not like anytime you push buttons, but if we get a text, the phone syncs to the car, we send a text. Things like that. It's just kind of annoying.

I know that there are 'text notification settings' in the Bluetooth section since I spent some time in there recently. I would look into changing that setting.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had so many issues it's hard to remember them all. Bought mine in January 2011

1. Stopped talking

2. Screen going blank

3. Screen working but no radio.

4. Back up camera working on and off

5. Ambient lighting changing but that's the least of my worry's

6. Accelerating and Braking on it's own

7.Nav telling me constantly I'm off route when the map is showing me right where it's telling me to go

8. At least 3 times a day it wants to do a health report but when I push ok it's says it can't

9. Drivers side power seat stopped working

10. I gave up on syncing to my phone.

Been in and out of the shop at least 9 times now. It's back in the shop now since Thurs.

LOL been a very loyal Ford customer for over 30 years... But this is going a bit to far

I have had so many issues it's hard to remember them all. Bought mine in January 2011

1. Stopped talking

2. Screen going blank

7.Nav telling me constantly I'm off route when the map is showing me right where it's telling me to go

8. At least 3 times a day it wants to do a health report but when I push ok it's says it can't

Been in and out of the shop at least 9 times now. It's back in the shop now since Thurs.

LOL been a very loyal Ford customer for over 30 years... But this is going a bit to far

Lemon laws are usually number of repair attempts for the same problem (about 4) or total number of days out of service for multiple problems. Keep your documentation and contact a lemon lawyer.

• 3 weeks later...

Lemon laws are usually number of repair attempts for the same problem (about 4) or total number of days out of service for multiple problems. Keep your documentation and contact a lemon lawyer.

Good luck on the Lemon Law. I see she lives in Missouri. We have one of the worst Lemon Laws in the country. For the most part, it only covers things which inhibit the safe operation of the vehicle. I would put all my eggs in one basket so to speak on the sudden accelerating and braking. That would probably be her only way out. I also live in Missouri and tried the Lemon Law on my last car. Even though I had a problem which had been fixed 7 previous times with no actual fix in sight, it didn't inhibit the safe operation of my vehicle (technically, even though it was the TPMS system) so I was out of luck! I wish good luck to her if she decides to take that route though! Let us know how it turns out!

Good luck on the Lemon Law. I see she lives in Missouri. We have one of the worst Lemon Laws in the country. For the most part, it only covers things which inhibit the safe operation of the vehicle. I would put all my eggs in one basket so to speak on the sudden accelerating and braking. That would probably be her only way out. I also live in Missouri and tried the Lemon Law on my last car. Even though I had a problem which had been fixed 7 previous times with no actual fix in sight, it didn't inhibit the safe operation of my vehicle (technically, even though it was the TPMS system) so I was out of luck! I wish good luck to her if she decides to take that route though! Let us know how it turns out!

I am in Missouri and I have already received one offer from Ford (too low) for my 11 Edge for MFT. The primary thing my lawyer has said is that Ford rarely buys vehicles back. They give you money, you keep the car, but they still must honor the warranty and it does not go on the record as being defined as a lemon. I am supposed to receive another offer this week and hopefully the situation will be resolved.

• Like 1

This topic is for reporting problems and status for 2011 Edge and MKX MyTouch and Sync problems.

Report your problems, lack of problems and repair status and related information.

Wow, this will be quite a list but only related to one system...My Ford Touch. I have had problems with My Ford Touch since I bought the vehicle. I took it to Florida on a trip and the Navigation System (named Donna) could not find ANYTHING. We would likely find the destination before she would. She would flat out take us the wrong direction (away from the destination). In the middle of a foreign place (to us) during route directions, Donna turned off and we got the "Performing System Maintenance" which took about 5 minutes to complete while we had been trying to follow navigation prompts. I told the dealer when I got back, and they upgraded the system.

I then had problems with the Navigation System again. It would say "Navigation Fault" even when the system was not in use. When I turned my car on, the music would also blare at the highest level and/or change the audio input. Sync would also be inactivated for the first 5 minutes of my drive (I'm assuming to load everything). I would push the button and the music would turn off and then come back on again. 5 minutes in, she would tell me to say a command, and then it would actually work correctly. The "Performing System Maintenance" would also appear from time to time.

I got another update to the version I'm on now. After the last and newest update, it worked flawlessly for a month or so (with the exception of the Sync lag when I turn the car on) until the last couple weeks. My system won't shut down correctly when I turn the car off. Instead of the white screen with the Ford emblem coming on, the screen just simply turns off and goes black from the Home screen. When you start the car the next time, the screen is frozen on the Home screen where you can't push any buttons. When it's in this state, the radio is also off (and won't come on). When you reverse, the Home screen stays on and will not show what's behind you while backing. This happens about 2 to 3 times out of 5 when I start the car, so I just left. 5 minutes down the road, the warning that I don't have a navigation card inserted into the system comes up. So, to be sure, I checked the card. I took it out and put it back in. Then it said "SD card fault". After turning the car off and back on again, it then said that my navigation system was fully functional. When I got back, I got the dreaded "Performing System Maintenance" screen again.

From time to time, I still have problems with not having audio regardless of what the screen is doing when I turn the car on. I also still continue to have problems with the Sync system at startup. I continue to have problems with the input switching to another device when I turn the car on. Sometimes, my phone won't connect when I turn the car on. If I'm on a phone call when I start the car, the phone call will transfer to the vehicle speakers, but the car won't take full control and doesn't recognize that I'm on a call. When I go to hang up, I have to let the other person hang up to end the conversation or use the actual phone to hang up. I can't do it with my usual button on my steering wheel.

At this point I don't even know if I have the latest update but am considering taking the car back to the dealership yet again to have this looked at. This car was $43,000, and I'm a little perturbed that I continue to have problems like that. I have had a couple of other problems (fitment of ground effect on one side, broken trim on driver side seat) which have been rectified, but those are no big deal.

I do have to say that I still absolutely love this car. I'm willing to keep trying with My Ford Touch because I'm still grateful to have it and there is no other product like it on the market. It is an amazing system. I just wish it hadn't been rushed to the market and I wonder about how beneficial it's been for Ford to work with Microsoft on this project. It seems like everything Microsoft touches is crap. I wonder that if they had worked with Apple, would these same problems exist or would they have been fixed before MFT was released? PLEASE fix these problems and make this car and this system unbelievable!

I am in Missouri and I have already received one offer from Ford (too low) for my 11 Edge for MFT. The primary thing my lawyer has said is that Ford rarely buys vehicles back. They give you money, you keep the car, but they still must honor the warranty and it does not go on the record as being defined as a lemon. I am supposed to receive another offer this week and hopefully the situation will be resolved.

Wow, I really hope things work out on that! Best of luck! Keep us posted!

1. Stopped talking

2. Screen going blank

I also have a 2011 edge limited and was having some problems with my MFT sync but not like what you have, I did the onboard reboot per the screen with no help.

I then did a hard reboot,by disconnecting both battery terminals from the battery and shorted them together for about 30 sec. to discharge any copacitors in the computer(you could do the same by leaving the leads disconnected for 30 min.).I reconnected to the battery . when you do this ,you take the sync(computer back tofactory settings)everything began to function correctly you will have to repair your phone and radio stations.

I also have a 2011 edge limited and was having some problems with my MFT sync but not like what you have, I did the onboard reboot per the screen with no help.

I then did a hard reboot,by disconnecting both battery terminals from the battery and shorted them together for about 30 sec. to discharge any copacitors in the computer(you could do the same by leaving the leads disconnected for 30 min.).I reconnected to the battery . when you do this ,you take the sync(computer back tofactory settings)everything began to function correctly you will have to repair your phone and radio stations.

That's pretty hard core!

You most likely lost more settings than the radio and phone.

Keep us posted on how it works for you.

That's pretty hard core!

[/quot

If you think about it the, MFT is nothing more then a computer and like all computers susceptible to gliches( power surges,and whatever else that may cause it to get corrupted signal)

just just like your home or laptop computer, you removed its power , (turning it off will not do it.,because there is power still going to the MFT SYNK memory) When you reboot it will clears them and takes you back to factory reset, just the way it was when you recieved it. Reloading your datd is a small price to pay if to clear your problems.

By disconnecting the cables,and shorting them together , you canot hurt anything. check it out. I have a 2005 Cadi.that a 12v lt cooler discharged the battery over night . After Jumpstarting the car , the engine and it's controles worked fine

but nothing controled by the computer functioned correctly. I removed the battery cables and shorted them together , this shorted the plus and minus busses in the computer discharging the capacitor and clearing memory of any error signals. Allowing car and onboard computer to function correctly when restarted

Edited by milosm

That's pretty hard core!

If you think about it the, MFT is nothing more then a computer and like all computers susceptible to gliches( power surges,and whatever else that may cause it to get corrupted signal)

just just like your home or laptop computer, you removed its power , (turning it off will not do it.,because there is power still going to the MFT SYNK memory) When you reboot it will clears them and takes you back to factory reset, just the way it was when you recieved it. Reloading your datd is a small price to pay if to clear your problems.

By disconnecting the cables,and shorting them together , you canot hurt anything. check it out. I have a 2005 Cadi.that a 12v lt cooler discharged the battery over night . After Jumpstarting the car , the engine and it's controles worked fine

but nothing controled by the computer functioned correctly. I removed the battery cables and shorted them together , this shorted the plus and minus busses in the computer discharging the capacitor and clearing memory of any error signals. Allowing car and onboard computer to function correctly when restarted

Like I said. Hard Core... just to get the MFT to work like it should.

I hate resetting the plethora of setting in the Edge.

repairing the phone and re-saving radio stations are bad enough. Don't forget the other settings...

Backup camera,

Auto Start,

Liftgate,

Lock/unLock,

Display brightness,

you get the idea.

repairing the phone and re-saving radio stations are bad enough. Don't forget the other settings...

Backup camera,

Auto Start,

Liftgate,

Lock/unLock,

Display brightness,

you get the idea.

But if it fixed it for more then a couple of days or weeks, wouldn't it be worth it? No proof that it did or will yet, just asking.

But if it fixed it for more then a couple of days or weeks, wouldn't it be worth it? No proof that it did or will yet, just asking.

I've found that if my system is messed up, I have to reset MFT.

Some ways are more simple than others.

As an expert MFT owner, I say that the best thing you can do to version 2.11 is the reboot it (or fuse 29 pull).

A major ritual with the battery cables is un called for.

UPDATE: Grammars

Edited by wilsons66604

Backup camera,

Auto Start,

Liftgate,

Lock/unLock,

Display brightness,

you get the idea.

The things you mentioned above with the exception of display brightness are set up in the MFT system bias(burned into a computer chip), not in memory.and would not reset during reboot.

Like I said a hard reboot solved my problems and erloading my phone and radio stations only took 5 min. and my problem has not returned since July.

I've found that if my system is messed up, I have to reset MFT.

Some ways are more simple than others.

As an expert MFT owner, I say that the best thing you can do to version 2.11 is the reboot it (or fuse 29 pull).

A major ritual with the battery cables is un called for.

UPDATE: Grammars

I also said that you would have to disconnect the battery ( or pull fuse29 as you said) for longer then 30 min's to allow the voltage on the bus filter capacitors to discharge. the question is would be if 30min. is long enought to solve the problem. I was just saying that shorting the cables would be instantaneous. How long do you pull fuse 29?

With all these MFT issues has anyone experienced auto temperature control issues? My MFT does not have the temp on a consistent temp even though it's always set for either 70 or 72. I have had other cars with auto temp control, even my 2007 Edge and they were all as they should be. My 2011 is hot one day and cool the next

I also said that you would have to disconnect the battery ( or pull fuse29 as you said) for longer then 30 min's to allow the voltage on the bus filter capacitors to discharge. the question is would be if 30min. is long enought to solve the problem. I was just saying that shorting the cables would be instantaneous. How long do you pull fuse 29?

When I was pulling the fuse, I would reinsert it right away. That was good enough to reset MFT.

Now I use my Delayed Reboot app on my USB stick.

None of these procedures lost settings.

• 2 weeks later...

So on Sept 17th I upgraded to 2.11 and MFT started behaving itself much better apart from weekly "system maintenance" restarts but nothing I couldn't live with. On Nov 24th I took it into the dealership for a number of minor but annoying tech issues (wipers, ACC, BLIS) and they reloaded 2.11 but ever since it is doing daily "system maintenance" restarts and the tech faults are still there!

On Sunday MFT starts acting really crazy, very slow to respond, wouldn't update the screens properly, complaining about GPS faults every minute. I disconnected my iPod and was hoping it would do the "system maintenance" restart thing but after half a dozen short trips yesterday it wouldn't do it on its own so I resorted to crawling around in the slush this morning and pulled fuse 29.

This new version can't come soon enough. :censored: With the GPS fault almost continuously displayed it was very distracting to try use MFT for anything as you had to acknowledge the fault and then hope to get in the required button responses before the slow response and GPS fault blocked what you were trying to do. :banghead: