2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

So on Sept 17th I upgraded to 2.11 and MFT started behaving itself much better apart from weekly "system maintenance" restarts but nothing I couldn't live with. On Nov 24th I took it into the dealership for a number of minor but annoying tech issues (wipers, ACC, BLIS) and they reloaded 2.11 but ever since it is doing daily "system maintenance" restarts and the tech faults are still there!

On Sunday MFT starts acting really crazy, very slow to respond, wouldn't update the screens properly, complaining about GPS faults every minute. I disconnected my iPod and was hoping it would do the "system maintenance" restart thing but after half a dozen short trips yesterday it wouldn't do it on its own so I resorted to crawling around in the slush this morning and pulled fuse 29.

This new version can't come soon enough. :censored: With the GPS fault almost continuously displayed it was very distracting to try use MFT for anything as you had to acknowledge the fault and then hope to get in the required button responses before the slow response and GPS fault blocked what you were trying to do. :banghead:

The "system maintenance" has been occurring more frequently in the past few weeks. It was great for a few weeks after the update, but now, I get intermittent issues.

The "system maintenance" has been occurring more frequently in the past few weeks. It was great for a few weeks after the update, but now, I get intermittent issues.

I had a system maintenance screen today. first time in forever. Wish everyone had a system as stable as mine. Fingers still crossed for the new update to be wonderful.

Did this come with any mention on why you were getting the extended warranty?

Had you received previous letters telling you about the "Performance Upgrade"?

Received a phone call a month or so ago from Ford. The woman was asking me how I liked the MFT and apologized about the performance issues. She assured me they were coming out with a new system and mentioned the USB stick as well as the new SD card for the Nav. being shipped out early next year. I tried getting particulars from her but she didn't know such things as the name of the software taking over the nav (although she did say it was totally new and quite better) or exactly when I could expect the software delivered

Good for you....wish I was getting service like that. I had sent several emails into tech support and finally they told me I had to call in. Woman I spoke to was useless, after almost an hour on the phone I got no where...no help with constant reboots or anything but she said I would receive a call in two days. Well that was Friday so even if she was referring to normal business days they still haven't contacted me. So frustrating.

I had a system maintenance screen today. first time in forever. Wish everyone had a system as stable as mine. Fingers still crossed for the new update to be wonderful.

I too have a very stable system and hope that the update is better. Recently had to remove the battery cable to force a reboot to get the voice back on the navigation. But other than that, I rarely have an issue. Maybe because we both have the bordeaux red reserve color? Just kidding. But I'm disappointed that they did not continue that color. I like it a lot. The update looks promising, I've watched the youtube videos. I'm almost afraid to do the update....but I want the new features. Perhaps I'll wait to see the forum member's responses to the update.

I too have a very stable system and hope that the update is better. Recently had to remove the battery cable to force a reboot to get the voice back on the navigation. But other than that, I rarely have an issue. Maybe because we both have the bordeaux red reserve color? Just kidding. But I'm disappointed that they did not continue that color. I like it a lot. The update looks promising, I've watched the youtube videos. I'm almost afraid to do the update....but I want the new features. Perhaps I'll wait to see the forum member's responses to the update.

What version are you on? I am still hanging on to 1.8. No upgrades yet, but figure I will have to do this one. But now I have to go to the dealership since I am not current. Oh well...

Received a phone call a month or so ago from Ford. The woman was asking me how I liked the MFT and apologized about the performance issues. She assured me they were coming out with a new system and mentioned the USB stick as well as the new SD card for the Nav. being shipped out early next year. I tried getting particulars from her but she didn't know such things as the name of the software taking over the nav (although she did say it was totally new and quite better) or exactly when I could expect the software delivered

Oh ya. I recall now.

Did this recent mailing of the new warranty come with an explanation?

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped by the Ford Edge FaceBook page just to see if there was any news.

It looks like the people posting there are more pissed than this forum.

This person sums up how he loves his My FordTouch

I love when any feature is unavailable the first five minutes of driving. I love when the backup camera only works every other backup. I love when every other trip the car tells me there's an sd nav fault and then the next time it tells me there's an ad nav card discovered. I love how i hit the seek button on my steering wheel and I locks up the system for five minutes. I enjoy the headache I get everytime I try to speak an address into the system. How it cannot recognize san francisco, the current city I'm in. I love to type in the street name and then the city which erases the street. Or type in the city and then type in the street and it erases the city.. I love everytime I plug in the iPod it has to index it again for five minutes. I really love not being able the change the temperature for five minutes as it tries to find my iPhone. I love how it finds the phone for music but not calls.. I love when you end a call, it still counts the call minutes for two more minutes and cannot listen to music, and then it tells you the call ended five minutes later. I live it when the temperature controls switch to automatic and pushing the automatic button doesn't turn it off. You have turn turn down the fan to go back to manual. I love when you switch to the map and the screen it black for five minutes. Spending all that time trying to get basic functions to work makes for safe driving

Good stuff!

Meanwhile my $99 phones computer is 100 times quicker and smarter.

Edited by wilsons66604

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any word on when the new version of SYNC is coming out and if it will avaialable by download from the website or if you have to wait to receive the USB in the mail.

I am currently having problems with my clock constantly resetting itself and hour ahead or behind. Of course, I also experience the lags in the rear view camera and voice controls as well as the almost weekly black screen and system maintenance.

Is there any word on when the new version of SYNC is coming out and if it will avaialable by download from the website or if you have to wait to receive the USB in the mail.

I am currently having problems with my clock constantly resetting itself and hour ahead or behind. Of course, I also experience the lags in the rear view camera and voice controls as well as the almost weekly black screen and system maintenance.

According to the facebook for Touch they are not looking at releasing any software updates until after the new Taurus gets released to the public. Sometime this spring. Check out https://www.facebook.com/#!/fordedge on facebook. A bunch of people complaining about the same things we are complaining about.

• 2 weeks later...

After numerous attempts and trials..this is what I have concluded. Hope the info helps someone!!

MFT and HDD

- USB 3 HDD doesnt work. Need USB 2. I am using a 500 GB Usb 2 HDD

- Fat 32 format

- I have over 3000 songs (about 30 GB) and it ONLY works (indexes only once!) if I copy all the songs in the root folder. I used to have them all organized in folders, but that causes MFT to continue indexing every time I switch on the vehicle. I had enough removing the fuse power! As discussed earlier, I am assuming there is a size limitation for the index file. The index file must be storing reference location for the songs and all other info. Removing the folder locations must be reducing the size of the index file.

MFT and Phones

I am an Android user and used various phones and various ROMS to see what works best. I have used some Samsung devices (SII & Note with original Samsung ROM and custom ROMS) and HTC devices (Evo 3D and Sensation XE). I have to say that both the HTC devices worked well. The following functions works well:

- Connection via bluetooth is almost immediate

- Contacts pictures works

- Messages works

- Streaming music via bluetooth

- Phone calls (and it disconnects correctly and continues playing songs)

Note that you will need to enable the messages etc option in Advanced options of the bluetooth seetings of your HTC device.

• Like 1

After numerous attempts and trials..this is what I have concluded. Hope the info helps someone!!

MFT and HDD

- USB 3 HDD doesnt work. Need USB 2. I am using a 500 GB Usb 2 HDD

- Fat 32 format

- I have over 3000 songs (about 30 GB) and it ONLY works (indexes only once!) if I copy all the songs in the root folder. I used to have them all organized in folders, but that causes MFT to continue indexing every time I switch on the vehicle. I had enough removing the fuse power! As discussed earlier, I am assuming there is a size limitation for the index file. The index file must be storing reference location for the songs and all other info. Removing the folder locations must be reducing the size of the index file.

MFT and Phones

I am an Android user and used various phones and various ROMS to see what works best. I have used some Samsung devices (SII & Note with original Samsung ROM and custom ROMS) and HTC devices (Evo 3D and Sensation XE). I have to say that both the HTC devices worked well. The following functions works well:

- Connection via bluetooth is almost immediate

- Contacts pictures works

- Messages works

- Streaming music via bluetooth

- Phone calls (and it disconnects correctly and continues playing songs)

Note that you will need to enable the messages etc option in Advanced options of the bluetooth seetings of your HTC device.

Thanks for sharing. I too have found that my MT4G and Slide both work best when using the HTC Sense ROMs including message etc.

I should re organize my music again based on your recommendations. I've just been using Amazon Cloud player as a crutch.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I bought my new ford edge sport just to my my blutooth stop working on my 3rd day and MFT on my 5th day lol. I'm laughing but I'm pissed xD, here in Puerto Rico with all the taxes it cost 49 grand and to have a 49 grand car stop working on the 5th day really sucks :/

Reuters has an article stating that Ford is starting to ship the USB updates:

"... On Monday, Ford began sending USB flash drives with the updated software to 300,000 U.S. owners of vehicles outfitted with the previous version of MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch, the navigation system built into its Lincoln brand vehicles..."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/ford-myfordtouch-idUSL2E8E5BL520120305?type=companyNews&feedType=RSS&feedName=companyNews&rpc=43

I sure hope it's true. My MLT has been getting flakier and flakier the last couple of months.