3.5L Mods???

HotLap

All, the 3.5L V6 is my first V6 in a long line of hp V8's and I must say I'm surprised at how "perky" this V6 is. Curious though, is anyone changing out the stock air filter, CAI, etc. for better performance or mileage? I haven't seen anything (underhood performance) for the Edge's 3.5L V6....

Edited by HotLap

My experience is that most performance changes sold to the public for a motor are snake oil, including air filters, spark plugs, etc.

Now if Ford would offer a Direct Fuel Injection modification that we could afford; that would provide both more power and better fuel economy. But Ford has been late to the show with real changes. The new 4 cylinder motor that will be released soon for the Edge sports both Direct Fuel Injection and a single Turbo Charger. As fuel economy standards start to tighten up that approach will become more common. But the expense of converting our beautiful motor to accept Direct Fuel Injection would be cost prohibitive. I predict that Ford is working on a dual turbo version of the 4 and a significant weight reduction across the line to meet the new fuel economy standards. Say goodby to 22 inch wheels. (not a bad thing to lose in my opinion.

What someone should offer to owners of pre 2011 Edges is the brake upgrade and suspension upgrade in kit form that Ford introduced to address braking issues across the board in 2011 Edges.

Edited by Feirstein

• 2 weeks later...

The car is perky but the transmission gearing is awful. With the HP provided I would have thought it would drop into the 14's in the 1/4 mile, bad gearing.

LOL @ hoping a 4100 pound American car that gets 25mpg will do 14's in the 1/4

If it had the gearing to do 14's then the fuel economy would drop enough that nobody would by this thing

Well my 1992 Mustang GT weighed just under 4000(Stereo Equipment and a Passenger) and it ran 13.4 in the 1/4 mile all day and that was at 300HP with the correct gearing. Since the Edge is at 285HP it could hit the mid to low 14's if it was geared correctly.

P.S. I still got approx 23/24MPG out of the Mustang!

LOL @ hoping a 4100 pound American car that gets 25mpg will do 14's in the 1/4

If it had the gearing to do 14's then the fuel economy would drop enough that nobody would by this thing

Well my 1992 Mustang GT weighed just under 4000(Stereo Equipment and a Passenger) and it ran 13.4 in the 1/4 mile all day and that was at 300HP with the correct gearing. Since the Edge is at 285HP it could hit the mid to low 14's if it was geared correctly.

P.S. I still got approx 23/24MPG out of the Mustang!

You missed the point entirely. The Edge is geared for fuel economy, not for 1/4 mile drag racing. With "correct gearing" as you call it, the Edge would have absolutely NO customer base.

Are you sure you're not 16?

No I am not 16.

Reading my Edge dealers pamphlet it states "Behind the fresh face a new 3.5l ti-vct engine delivers 285 HP "The best standard HP in its class" It also states "Maximum V6 efficiency and power no one in the class can beat"! It also talks about the new "Selectshift Automatic" and how it it is truly an engaging drive! They also talk about "paddle Shifters" Later in the pamphlet it talks about the 3.7l with 305HP. They also talk about how much torque it has..... Hmm never seen an econobox that is all about fuel economy talk about HP so much, paddle shifters and Torque.

The Edge also gets the 3.7l Engine out of the Mustang, later they talk about adding the Ecoboost engine. All performance and MPG.

Now with all of this hype out of the Dealer pamphlet and stuff right from Ford it is all about power and performance along with good MPG out of the Edge.

Like I said it should do better in the 1/4 mile they way Ford Hypes it up.

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/?searchid=426441|28124907|205370176

You missed the point entirely. The Edge is geared for fuel economy, not for 1/4 mile drag racing. With "correct gearing" as you call it, the Edge would have absolutely NO customer base.

Are you sure you're not 16?

• Like 1

Um... who cares about 1/4 mile time, if your looking to race why would you buy an edge in the first place? Its a CUV... Comfort MPG and some power to get on and off the highway is what matters.

You want to race research the mustang or camero's 1/4 mile times and HP.

Um... who cares about 1/4 mile time, if your looking to race why would you buy an edge in the first place? Its a CUV... Comfort MPG and some power to get on and off the highway is what matters.

You want to race research the mustang or camero's 1/4 mile times and HP.

1. bench racing

1. To discuss the possible quarter-mile elapsed time (E.T.) of a car based on a list of modifcations or horsepower estimate.

2. To discuss the estimated output (in horsepower) of one engine versus another based on lists of modifications done to each engine.

3. To discuss "which is faster?" or "Which would win in a race?" between two cars, based on 1 and 2 above.

• Like 1

If you guys are not interested in Mods or Performance why are you looking at the 3.5L mod area, just to argue and shoot people down who want some performance or who want to discuss performance or you just following where I post on the forum?

ET times were done on a Motorweek show. http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt3012a.shtml I never said Ford showed any 1/4 mile times. The 1/4 mile times just is an example how fast it is nothing more and I never said I wanted to drag race..... Boy you guys really read into things and pick them apart to argue.

If Ford wasnt interested in performance why do they keep uping the HP on the Edge, why does it need paddle shifters if is is designed to be an Econobox?

I bought it for the comfort, performance and looks (mainly the looks)...... if all I wanted was pure HP for drag racing I would have never traded in my 2001 Corvette for this car. Just because it is a Crossover doesnt mean it cant have any performance, ever look at the Porsche Cayenne, it is one hell of a crossover!

Like I said it should do better in the 1/4 mile they way Ford Hypes it up.

If Ford wasnt interested in performance why do they keep uping the HP on the Edge, why does it need paddle shifters if is is designed to be an Econobox?

You're missing the point. The Edge does have very good performance - for a crossover. 1/4 mile times are the last thing Ford is worried about and the last thing that 99% of Edge buyers care about. When you complain about 1/4 mile times but not about how the car actually feels or drives then you come off sounding like a 16 year old bench racing with his buddies about whose dad has the fastest car.

So tell me - what is the difference between a 15 second Edge and a 14 second Edge?

• Like 1

If you guys are not interested in Mods or Performance why are you looking at the 3.5L mod area, just to argue and shoot people down who want some performance or who want to discuss performance or you just following where I post on the forum?

This isn't the Mods section, it's the Powertrain > 3.5 Section. Might want to doublecheck where you are before posting transmission misinformation in the future.

While the misinformation that you spew is certainly entertaining it hardly makes you stalkable.

ET times were done on a Motorweek show. http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt3012a.shtml I never said Ford showed any 1/4 mile times. The 1/4 mile times just is an example how fast it is nothing more and I never said I wanted to drag race..... Boy you guys really read into things and pick them apart to argue.

Your original reply specifically spoke of 1/4 mile performance. 1/4 mile performance is relative to drag racing and nothing else.

Nobody said that Ford wasn't interested in performance, what they're not interested in is 1/4 mile performance (your original issue)

Ford, like anyone else ups horsepower to keep ahead of their competitors in the CUV market.

I bought it for the comfort, performance and looks (mainly the looks)...... if all I wanted was pure HP for drag racing I would have never traded in my 2001 Corvette for this car. Just because it is a Crossover doesnt mean it cant have any performance, ever look at the Porsche Cayenne, it is one hell of a crossover!

I don't see where anyone said that the Edge can't or shouldn't have performance. I did however state that nobody buys an Edge for its 1/4 mile capabilities nor was it designed for 1/4 mile performance. The Cayenne, while 50 grand higher in price was designed and marketed to folks who have more $$$ to spend and want to haul the kids, dogs, bikes, etc around in something with some punch to it at the expense of mpg. These are most certainly NOT the same folks who would entertain the idea of driving an Edge.

If looks, performance, and comfort are important to you why aren't you driving a Cayenne???

You're missing the point. The Edge does have very good performance - for a crossover. 1/4 mile times are the last thing Ford is worried about and the last thing that 99% of Edge buyers care about. When you complain about 1/4 mile times but not about how the car actually feels or drives then you come off sounding like a 16 year old bench racing with his buddies about whose dad has the fastest car.

So tell me - what is the difference between a 15 second Edge and a 14 second Edge?

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!! My point exactly. Anyone interested in 1/4 mile times shouldn't be shopping for an edge. I researched this car for a while now and am currently waiting for an 11 AWD to arrive, only thing HP meant to me was, the car would get onto the highway when i needed it to.. Not blow the doors off the CRV in the lane next to me I could careless about that.

I was going to let this subject die until you added your $0.02.

Dont tell people what kind of car they can shop for, who are you to say what person buys what?

Also I wasnt just interested in 1/4 mile times, I just thought they would have been better with the amount of HP this vehicle puts out.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!! My point exactly. Anyone interested in 1/4 mile times shouldn't be shopping for an edge. I researched this car for a while now and am currently waiting for an 11 AWD to arrive, only thing HP meant to me was, the car would get onto the highway when i needed it to.. Not blow the doors off the CRV in the lane next to me I could careless about that.

Dont tell people what kind of car they can shop for, who are you to say what person buys what?

He didn't say that. He said if you're looking for fast 1/4 mile times you shouldn't be looking at a 4400 lb crossover. Similarly if you're looking for back seat room you shouldn't be looking at a Mustang GT500 and if you're looking for towing power you shouldn't be looking at a 4 cylinder Fiesta.

Also I wasnt just interested in 1/4 mile times, I just thought they would have been better with the amount of HP this vehicle puts out.

So if the 1/4 mile time had been 14.9 instead of 15.7 you'd be happy? Do you honestly think you can feel that 0.8 seconds? Otherwise it's just a number on a piece of paper for bench racing.

If you had just said "I wish it had been geared more for performance" then nobody would have had an issue with it. But you presented it as if Ford not only screwed up but was deceptive about it to boot which is ridiculous considering we're talking about a 4000+ lb crossover, not a sports car. And not because you didn't like the way it drove but only because of a meaningless number on a piece of paper.

Let's just call it a misunderstanding and move on.

• Like 1

Akirby why do you constanty follow/harass/belittle me every chance you get?

I mean seriously you constanty attack me every time I post an opinion or something that is on my mind. You constantly pick apart any post I make.

This is getting old akirby, please leave me alone.

He didn't say that. He said if you're looking for fast 1/4 mile times you shouldn't be looking at a 4400 lb crossover. Similarly if you're looking for back seat room you shouldn't be looking at a Mustang GT500 and if you're looking for towing power you shouldn't be looking at a 4 cylinder Fiesta.

So if the 1/4 mile time had been 14.9 instead of 15.7 you'd be happy? Do you honestly think you can feel that 0.8 seconds? Otherwise it's just a number on a piece of paper for bench racing.

If you had just said "I wish it had been geared more for performance" then nobody would have had an issue with it. But you presented it as if Ford not only screwed up but was deceptive about it to boot which is ridiculous considering we're talking about a 4000+ lb crossover, not a sports car. And not because you didn't like the way it drove but only because of a meaningless number on a piece of paper.

Let's just call it a misunderstanding and move on.

I think nextime has a perfectly valid point. 1/4 mile times are a measure of performance, horsepower numbers are not. His point is that anyone can get good HP numbers and good fuel economy, the tough part is getting good performance numbers and good fuel economy. While the Edge does do fairly well on both counts, the truth is that Ford is intentionally "misleading" the public by emphasizing HP numbers without bringing to attention the offsets of tall gearing as it relates to performance.

Now my personal opinion is that it's only "misleading" in that customers are uninformed/uneducated about what performance really is and Ford is doing nothing more than exploiting this, which is the same thing every other manufacturer and really every advertiser for any product does.

However I also think it's not fair to call Ford's choice of gearing "bad" or "incorrect". Ford made those choices based on a huge number of factors and expected customers. They did not choose the gearing with the specific goal of getting good performance numbers because that's not what they think the customers want.

Edited by Waldo

Akirby why do you constanty follow/harass/belittle me every chance you get?

I mean seriously you constanty attack me every time I post an opinion or something that is on my mind. You constantly pick apart any post I make.

I'm not attacking you. If you want to post your "opinions" then you should be prepared for others to post their disagreement with your "opinions". And it seems in this case I'm not the only one who disagrees.

You would have fewer issues if you said things like "I wish the gearing had been more aggressive" as opposed to implying that Ford screwed up and was being deceptive about the advertising.

That said, I will try harder to ignore your posts in the future.

• Like 1

the truth is that Ford is intentionally "misleading" the public by emphasizing HP numbers without bringing to attention the offsets of tall gearing as it relates to performance.

Now my personal opinion is that it's only "misleading" in that customers are uninformed/uneducated about what performance really is and Ford is doing nothing more than exploiting this, which is the same thing every other manufacturer and really every advertiser for any product does.

I would take it a step further and say that 1/4 mile times are not really a performance consideration for a 4000 lb crossover vehicle. 0-60 would be better than 1/4 mile times but even then I'm not sure it's totally applicable.

Can you feel the extra HP in the sport vs. the non-sport? Of course. Most people would be using the extra power when accelerating onto a highway or to pass somebody - not doing WOT starts from a dead stop for 0-60 or 1/4 mile sprints and that power is available and used regardless of the gearing. So I don't think it's misleading even to uneducated consumers.

A F250 Super Duty 6.7L diesel has 400 hp and 800 lb/ft of torque but is slower to 60 and in the 1/4 mile than the Edge Sport. Is that misleading advertising?

However I also think it's not fair to call Ford's choice of gearing "bad" or "incorrect". Ford made those choices based on a huge number of factors and expected customers. They did not choose the gearing with the specific goal of getting good performance numbers because that's not what they think the customers want.

And that's the crux of the problem with the original statement.

I think nextime has a perfectly valid point. 1/4 mile times are a measure of performance, horsepower numbers are not.

1/4 miles times are not a measure of performance unless we're discussing performance vehicles. The Edge is not a performance vehicle.

His point is that anyone can get good HP numbers and good fuel economy, the tough part is getting good performance numbers and good fuel economy.

No, his point was that Ford screwed up the transmission gearing resulting in unacceptable 1/4 mile times.

While the Edge does do fairly well on both counts, the truth is that Ford is intentionally "misleading" the public by emphasizing HP numbers without bringing to attention the offsets of tall gearing as it relates to performance.

Ford isn't intentionally misleading anyone by emphasizing HP numbers. Horsepower numbers in a Crossover brochure are no different than driver headroom numbers, rear passenger legroom numbers, or cargo space numbers. All of these numbers are typical in advertising by all manufacturers and unless mistated none are misleading.

Now my personal opinion is that it's only "misleading" in that customers are uninformed/uneducated about what performance really is and Ford is doing nothing more than exploiting this, which is the same thing every other manufacturer and really every advertiser for any product does...

It is apparent in your posts that you are feeling mislead due to being uninformed/uneducated on the terms of performance and 1/4 mile performance as they relate to a 4400lb crossover.