Driver door wind noise

bink19

Bink 19, have you checked for noise on the passenger side under all wind conditions. In mine it is very dependent on the wind direction and there are/may be times when the drivers side sees noise but the passenger side does not because it is protected by the bulk of the vehicle. I know my passenger says the wind noise on her side does change.

Bink 19, have you checked for noise on the passenger side under all wind conditions. In mine it is very dependent on the wind direction and there are/may be times when the drivers side sees noise but the passenger side does not because it is protected by the bulk of the vehicle. I know my passenger says the wind noise on her side does change.

I know when I was driving into the wind I could har the noise but my passenger did not. I will verify though that this is the case. I'll have my fiance drive next time.

I tried a little "homemade" something last night. I live in Western Michigan so we experienced the "Blizzard of 2011" last night, 45mph wind gusts and all. I went to Menards and purchased some all purpose weather stripping. It's maybe 1/2 wide and sticky on the back side. I heated the adhesive side with a hair dryer so it would stick to the weather seal in the door. I placed it over the existing seal from the side mirror to the bottom corner of the driver side door and also the same with the rear passenger door. I took it for a test drive (up to 60+mph) and absolutely no wind noise when the wind was gusting toward the driver side of the vehicle. I was so happy; convinced I had fixed the issue. So I then turned around and headed back to the house - ughhh - the whistling started up again - only when the wind was gusting towards the passenger side of the vehicle. It was extreme conditions last night, I haven't ventured out yet today but will update once I do. I'm convinced it helped a ton because I heard zero wind noise for the most part.

RE I would like to see the differences between the mirrors/bumps, the diferrence is that the bigger "bump" appears to have the same width, height, profile and location as the smaller one(picture), but it runs from the top to the bottom of the mirror mounting plate

Edited by Theakerr

Stopped by my dealer again today and found that model year info I was given re the protuberance is wrong. Correct data are as follows:

2011 Edge - No data Would appreciate some from the thread participants

2010 Edge - Blind spot mirror Small protuberance as per my previous photo. 3 vehicles

2008 Edge - NO blind spot mirror. Full length protuberance 3 Vehicles

2007 Edge - NO blind spot mirror - NO protuberance 2 Vehicles

Salesman calls the protuberance an air deflector.

Attached pictures of the 2008 full length protuberance (just for nextime). Could not get pictures of plain mirror mount on 2007 (my poor camera skills)

post-5008-058203100 1296770808_thumb.jpg

post-5008-040696300 1296770920_thumb.jpg

I appreciate the info, hopefully it will help everyone out.

Stopped by my dealer again today and found that model year info I was given re the protuberance is wrong. Correct data are as follows:

2010 Edge - Blind spot mirror Small protuberance as per my previous photo. 3 vehicles

Attached pictures of the 2008 full length protuberance (just for nextime). Could not get pictures of plain mirror mount on 2007 (my poor camera skills)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also having a 'whispering or chirping' noise coming from the upper left corner of the driver's door of my 2010 Edge. The dealer replaced the rubber seal around the whole door but the noise is still there, only when going 55+ and then it seems to depend on wind directions. I am interested in both msmeg's and blankster's solution attempts. Could blankster explain what A and B pillars are and clarify a little more where to put the foam under the hood? Could msmeg be a little more specific where he put his foam? I would greatly appreciate getting that info because the noise, although not loud, is very annoying when driving at highway speeds for a long time. Thanks.

I'm also having a 'whispering or chirping' noise coming from the upper left corner of the driver's door of my 2010 Edge. The dealer replaced the rubber seal around the whole door but the noise is still there, only when going 55+ and then it seems to depend on wind directions. I am interested in both msmeg's and blankster's solution attempts. Could blankster explain what A and B pillars are and clarify a little more where to put the foam under the hood? Could msmeg be a little more specific where he put his foam? I would greatly appreciate getting that info because the noise, although not loud, is very annoying when driving at highway speeds for a long time. Thanks.

Fold the mirror in so its facing the driver side window and see if the wind noise goes away. That eliminated the wind noise for me so the mirror is most likely out of spec and am waiting for the dealer to call me back with replacing it. My service adviser is not the greatest at replying to email and voicemails.

I followed up a little on blankster's post and took a look from the inside of the open door towards the hood. To my surprise, I could see right through to the front of the car!. There was nothing between the hood area and the driver's door. There is a barrier between the hood area and the passenger door! I wish that blankster could tell me more specifically where he would put the foam...that might clear up my problem.

Re blink19's suggestion: I folded the mirror in and I think that it made a difference but it is very windy today...too much crosswind. I'll try again when the conditions are better for testing.

My 2011 AWD Limited Edge has a "protuberance" but it does not run the full length from top to bottom. It takes up the middle 2/3 of the mirror mount

My 2011 AWD Limited Edge has a "protuberance" but it does not run the full length from top to bottom. It takes up the middle 2/3 of the mirror mount.

And I have never noticed the wind noise.

I followed up a little on blankster's post and took a look from the inside of the open door towards the hood. To my surprise, I could see right through to the front of the car!. There was nothing between the hood area and the driver's door. There is a barrier between the hood area and the passenger door! I wish that blankster could tell me more specifically where he would put the foam...that might clear up my problem.

Re blink19's suggestion: I folded the mirror in and I think that it made a difference but it is very windy today...too much crosswind. I'll try again when the conditions are better for testing.

Open the door and while standing on the inside portion of the door, with your right hand follow the split between outer and inner portion from the top door seal forward down towards the side mirror. Where the outer and inner portion come together to form a channel, insert something to block that "channel" between the 2 seals like a small piece of backer rod. I'm not sure if this is the cure but the previous generation Ford Taurus and mercury Sables had a similar issue. Basically air was getting in between the 2 seals from inside the engive compartment and front fender area and running up the door seal (within the channel) to the top and exiting out the back by the "B" pillar (the one between the front and back seat). Later on the upper door seals for that vehicle were revised to add a "block" between the outer and inner seals where they converge (by the "A" pillar). Also you will notice some foam type seals inside the front fender (open you door and look inside the fender by the door hinges) that are intended to keep out moving air that enters from the front of the vehicle. Also open the hood and look to see if there are additional insulators around the area where the hinge for the hood enters the fender/firewall. There are usually insulators (at least on the vehicles I currently have) around that area to block moving air from entering the cavity between the front door and the front fender. I looked at a parts manual and it shows an insulator running from the top to the bottom inside the front fender. Sometimes these bend at the top allowing air to enter the door cavity. Again I don't have my Edge yet (being built the week of 2/28) but I was looking and one at the dealer with this issue in mind. The one I saw on the floor had several areas of foam blocking the openings in the fender.

Edited by blankster

Thanks...I now get the picture! I'll give it a try. When I looked from the inside of the open door towards the engine compartment, I could see right through...there was nothing blocking my view to the front of the car! What was there, might have been bent downwards (?) In any case, I put some large pieces of foam in the gap..hopefully it might cut down the air flow. I feel that Ford should be compensating you guys for redesigning their cars! I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Dealership just replaced my driver side mirror with one from a edge they had on the lot. I'll give an update tomorrow once I get a chance to drive it. Dealer also did confirm that the plastic piece on the mirrors where added for 2011 to reduce noise. Quality guy took car for a drive with me and also determined the wind noise to be coming from the mirror. Hope it works.

FORD has a TSB to fix the noise,TSB # 11-2-13

WHISTLE NOISE FROM LEFT HAND SIDE EXTERIOR MIRROR WHILE DRIVING AT SPEEDS OVER 64 KM/H (40 MPH) - BUILT ON OR BETWEEN 7/12/2010 - 12/22/2010

You know where I can view this TSB at? They replaced my mirror with one from an Edge they had on the lot and the noise seems to be gone. Only problem is they did not hook it up correctly as I cannot adjust the mirror left or right. When I push up it goes down and down goes up.