Driver door wind noise

bink19

I have a 2011 Edge that has been to the dealership three times already for wind/whistling noise (sounds like the window is cracked open) coming from the driver window area. Dealer has replaced weather stripping twice already and stated the door is aligned properly. This noise always occurs around 50+ mph, and occasionally at 40+ mph. I live in Michigan and could this be caused by the cold weather affecting the weather strips? Anyone else experiencing this problem? The noise is loud enough to be noticied over the radio.

Ford has told me to go to another dealership to get a second opinion, but between this wind noise issue and My Ford Touch problems my car has been at the dealership more than it has on the road.

Passenger side does not have this problem.

Any thoughts?

I am in Iowa, probably comparable weather to Michigan? I haven't noticed this but I haven't taken it for a drive longer than 1 1/2 hours out on the interstate where it's wide open and windy - until this weekend - so I will be listening for this. One time I did notice some kind of a whistling noise coming from the drivers side door and it went away when I turned off the heater/fan...not sure if it wasn't sealed right or wasnt warmed up enough but it didnt sound normal, but it hasn't done that again so hopefully it wasnt the actual door that was letting in air. Do you feel any cold air coming in?

I have a 2011 Edge that has been to the dealership three times already for wind/whistling noise (sounds like the window is cracked open) coming from the driver window area. Dealer has replaced weather stripping twice already and stated the door is aligned properly. This noise always occurs around 50+ mph, and occasionally at 40+ mph. I live in Michigan and could this be caused by the cold weather affecting the weather strips? Anyone else experiencing this problem? The noise is loud enough to be noticied over the radio.

Ford has told me to go to another dealership to get a second opinion, but between this wind noise issue and My Ford Touch problems my car has been at the dealership more than it has on the road.

Any thoughts?

I had this problem on a truck. The dealership didn't have a clue. I read a forum entry that suggested taking it to a body shop. I took it to the best body shop I could find. Turns out the door was actually bent out just slightly at the top. The body shop said it was pretty common. They actually bent it back to form and I never had the problem again. I think they charged $50.00.

I am in Iowa, probably comparable weather to Michigan? I haven't noticed this but I haven't taken it for a drive longer than 1 1/2 hours out on the interstate where it's wide open and windy - until this weekend - so I will be listening for this. One time I did notice some kind of a whistling noise coming from the drivers side door and it went away when I turned off the heater/fan...not sure if it wasn't sealed right or wasnt warmed up enough but it didnt sound normal, but it hasn't done that again so hopefully it wasnt the actual door that was letting in air. Do you feel any cold air coming in?

I do not feel any cold air coming in and they did do a water test and found no leaks. The noise was not coming from the heater as I turned that off along with the radio. Maybe I'll try another dealer just to they say about it.

I had this problem on a truck. The dealership didn't have a clue. I read a forum entry that suggested taking it to a body shop. I took it to the best body shop I could find. Turns out the door was actually bent out just slightly at the top. The body shop said it was pretty common. They actually bent it back to form and I never had the problem again. I think they charged $50.00.

I might give that a try thanks. I have a friend who works for a body and I'll see what he says.

I've driven mine LTD in cold, snow and wind without any noises. Sure sounds like the door's slightly out of alignment or bent at the top. I owned a Mitsubshi Montero years ago. Once I got up to 70 or higher the doors opened slightly at the top creating a lot of racket., I could see the daylight streaming between the door's top and car frame. Yes, no leaks when washing the car.

I've driven mine LTD in cold, snow and wind without any noises. Sure sounds like the door's slightly out of alignment or bent at the top. I owned a Mitsubshi Montero years ago. Once I got up to 70 or higher the doors opened slightly at the top creating a lot of racket., I could see the daylight streaming between the door's top and car frame. Yes, no leaks when washing the car.

Thanks for the response and I will bring this up with the dealer when I take it in next week. I'm taking it to a different dealer as I have had issues with the dealer who have originally tried fixing this issue.

I have wind noise coming from the drivers door too. I noticed it when the temp. dropped. Its more noticeable when it windy and cold.

I just dont feel like taking in now.

If I get time I am taking mine in next week. I'll let you know what they say if I take it in.

I'm having the same exact issue with my 2011 Sport. I live in Michigan so it is cold/windy but still not an excuse in my book. Noticeable at 40mph - 70mph. It just drives me NUTS. I've taken it to two dealerships. The second dealership told me it's just the characteristic of the car, that's just not working for me. Any updates form anyone on getting it fixed? HELP!!!

Edited by msmeg678

I'm having the same exact issue with my 2011 Sport. I live in Michigan so it is cold/windy but still not an excuse in my book. Noticeable at 40mph - 70mph. It just drives me NUTS. I've taken it to two dealerships. The second dealership told me it's just the characteristic of the car, that's just not working for me. Any updates form anyone on getting it fixed? HELP!!!

I called another dealership to get a second opinion and I was told was "if another dealer has looked at this issue we won't because Ford will not pay us". I called the dealership where I took my vehicle the first 3 times and I am waiting for the service rep to call me back tomorrow after he speaks with the service director to decide the next course of action. I'll update when I hear back from the dealer. Hopefully they open a case with Ford on this, even though they said they would on my first visit.

Just the characteristic of the car...BS, I cant stand that lack of customer service. A well build vehicle shouldnt be affected by the fluctuation in Temp or other conditions.

I'm in Mich too. What dealer did you go to?

Just the characteristic of the car...BS, I cant stand that lack of customer service. A well build vehicle shouldnt be affected by the fluctuation in Temp or other conditions.

Well for me I have been dealing with Suburban Ford of Sterling Heights. If I got the answer that it is the characteristic of the car I would lose it. Especially since I did not have a radio for 2 months because of the SYNC/MyFordtouch problem.

I have the same noise.

It seems like it is just a design flaw from Ford.

I do not get wind or have leaks in the car.

All cars have certain characteristics built into them..... my 1989 Rangers antenna would howl and vibrate like hell over 55mph if it got any ice built up on it. To fix the issue I put one of the newer twisted style Ford antennas on it and the issue went away.

Since there are so many posts about this one subject I would say this issue is just a annoying built in feature we all have.

I went to Fox Ford and Wayland Ford in the Grand Rapids area.

I have this exact same problem. Trying another dealer this weekend. The dealer I bought the vehicle from is incompetent, and couldn't "hear" it. Very frustrating.

Any thoughts?

Well for me I have been dealing with Suburban Ford of Sterling Heights. If I got the answer that it is the characteristic of the car I would lose it. Especially since I did not have a radio for 2 months because of the SYNC/MyFordtouch problem.

Thats not to far from me. Lets us know how it works out for you.

I got my from Royal Oak Ford. They where the only dealer able to get exactly what I wanted in 2 weeks time.

I went to Fox Ford and Wayland Ford in the Grand Rapids area.

OK, I'm all the way on the eastside of the mitten.

If any one gets a copout answer go directly to the general manager of the dealer.

Hey if this vehicle was so well built what so many issues here with the same problems?

It is a design flaw.

Lots of cars are built with design flaws, no vehicle ever built is perfect.

I suspect that air is running between the 2 upper door seals from the bottom (nearest the fender) to the top of the door then exiting by the top by the B-pillar. Follow the seals to the bottom (by the A-pillar) and see if any insulators that are intended to block air from leaving the engine compartment are out of allignment or missing. They are usually located in the front fender just in front of the door and run from top to bottom or open the hood and see if there are any insulators near the hinge area . If all looks OK - Attach a piece of foam between the two seals at the bottom closing the gap and see if that works. I had a similar problem with a '96 Sable - Later models had a revised weatherstrip closing the gap. I'm not an Edge owner yet but thinking about it.

I took delivery of my 2011 Limited the beginning of December and I also get the wind noise from the drivers door. I live in Kansas and am originally from Michigan and it is no where near as cold here. What is strange is when I first started hearing the noise I turned off the climate control and the noise stopped immediately. It stops making wind noise every time I turn off the climate control. I have not been back to the dealer yet but it makes me wonder if it has something to do with the pressurization of the cabin. Maybe the other members that are having the noise issues can try turning off their climate control system and see if the noise stops for you as well.

I took delivery of my 2011 Limited the beginning of December and I also get the wind noise from the drivers door. I live in Kansas and am originally from Michigan and it is no where near as cold here. What is strange is when I first started hearing the noise I turned off the climate control and the noise stopped immediately. It stops making wind noise every time I turn off the climate control. I have not been back to the dealer yet but it makes me wonder if it has something to do with the pressurization of the cabin. Maybe the other members that are having the noise issues can try turning off their climate control system and see if the noise stops for you as well.

Interesting. I wonder if switching to recirculate will have any effect.