Driver door wind noise

bink19

I have the same noise.

It seems like it is just a design flaw from Ford.

I do not get wind or have leaks in the car.

All cars have certain characteristics built into them..... my 1989 Rangers antenna would howl and vibrate like hell over 55mph if it got any ice built up on it. To fix the issue I put one of the newer twisted style Ford antennas on it and the issue went away.

Since there are so many posts about this one subject I would say this issue is just a annoying built in feature we all have.

We all don't have this problem. I do not have this noise so it may be a assembly problem. I hate it when a dealer tries to tell me they all do something, that maybe true but that doesn't mean it is not a problem.

I don't have an Edge yet but can someone try and insert a small piece of backer rod between the outside and inside upper door weather seal where they meet (around the sideview mirror). The issue may be similar to one I had with 1996 Mercury Sable where the air is traveling up the door between the two seals. Open the door and look at the area where the two meet (towards the front by the mirror). Or the problem may be turbulence brought on by the sideview mirror - Here is a link to an article of an Edge with the Ecoboost: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/06/2011-ford-edge-ecoboost-quick-spin-review-road-test/ - This may actually be a 2012 model - Note the side mirrors.

Edited by blankster

Same issue here!

I kept hearing this really high pitched whistle while driving at 40+ and my wife thought I was crazy. Told her to drive the car around without the radio for a day. Sure enough, she hears it now too. Once you hear it, its a curse, because you can't ignore it. Weird part is, it doesn't happen all the time, but the majority of the time for us.

I purchased a 2011 SEL Edge in November. Have heard the whistling noise on the driver's side almost since the day I brought it home. Like others have stated, the best way to describe it is it sounds like the window is just slightly cracked, but they aren't. I have had it in several times. The first time the work on the seal around the sunroof. Did nothing. The next time I had the salesman drive it and he too heard the noise. They ordered and replace the seal one the driver's door, but they realized that didn't fix it, so they did the same for the back door, but still the noise is there.

On top of this, I have issues with the MyFordTouch system where it froze up, and a time where the radio quadrant was completely blank. Now I have clock issues. When the car is started, there are times where the clock is a some random time. Once the car is turned off and restart it seems to always go back to the regular time.

This is my very first Ford and first time buying domestic in about 15 years, and I am now understanding why I stayed away from the Big Three brands. It is frustrating to know that I am making payments on a new car that isn't 100%.

Was at the dealership today and they only had a Fusion to put me in, which wasn't going to work for me, so brought my Egde, with noise and crazy clock back home again.

I purchased a 2011 SEL Edge in November. Have heard the whistling noise on the driver's side almost since the day I brought it home. Like others have stated, the best way to describe it is it sounds like the window is just slightly cracked, but they aren't. I have had it in several times. The first time the work on the seal around the sunroof. Did nothing. The next time I had the salesman drive it and he too heard the noise. They ordered and replace the seal one the driver's door, but they realized that didn't fix it, so they did the same for the back door, but still the noise is there.

On top of this, I have issues with the MyFordTouch system where it froze up, and a time where the radio quadrant was completely blank. Now I have clock issues. When the car is started, there are times where the clock is a some random time. Once the car is turned off and restart it seems to always go back to the regular time.

This is my very first Ford and first time buying domestic in about 15 years, and I am now understanding why I stayed away from the Big Three brands. It is frustrating to know that I am making payments on a new car that isn't 100%.

Was at the dealership today and they only had a Fusion to put me in, which wasn't going to work for me, so brought my Egde, with noise and crazy clock back home again.

At least they gave you a vehicle to use. They kept my Edge for four days and I was told that no loaners are available.

Took my vehicle in this morning for the fourth time trying to get the wind noise fixed. I tried taking it to another dealer and they stated "You didn't by the car from us and another dealer already tried fixing this issue Ford will not pay us to look at it and try to fix" I think that is a bunch of BS and my guess is that it is not true.

I will update when I get my vehicle back today or tomorrow with what the dealer has done or not done. Seals on the window have been replaced twice already.

Just got round to reading this thread since I have a 2010 (not a 2011). I had a 2008 and was very happy with it such that I purchased a 2010. I am not happy with the 2010 due to, you guessed it, wind noise from the drivers door. Basically when I have a tail wind there is no issue and the vehicle is as quiet as my 2008. However any deviation from a tail wind and the wind noise is present. I cannot be sure but it appears to be coming from the rear upper corner of the window and as someone said it sounds just like the window is cracked. The technician heard it and some seals were replaced, to no effect. After further complaining and testing I was told that it was coming from the roof rails and is basically normal. I had roof rails on my 2008, so I cannot accept that. My dealer has tried to solve the problem, but appears to be getting no support from Ford. In fact it appears that the official position from Ford is that this wind noise is normal. Another difference I notice is that when a vehicle goes past me in the opposite direction I hear the "whoosh" much more than I did in the 2008 and when it is raining the rain noise from the lower edge of the door is also greater. My wife, who doesn't ride with me that often, also feels the wind noise from the passenger side is greater than the 2008. I have to wonder if the material used in the door sealing strips is different (cheaper), thinner (cheaper) or has been redesigned (to reduce costs). When the weather gets warmer I will try to track down the exact source using duct tape to mask off parts of the door. This level of noise is not what I expect of a vehicle that costs this much, especially when my Sons Dodge Caravan that cost 2/3 of the Edge is significantly quieter. I used to recommend the Edge to people and I know at least two people who have bough Edges based on my recommendation. I will not but another Edge and I must admit to having serious concerns about buying another Ford because I cannot help but wonder if Ford are going down the marketing route of product cost reduction and by default quality reduction. The same marketing/financial game that (amongst other things) forced another North American company to require tax payers support to avoid bankruptcy. A Japanese Company also apparently tried the same game and their sales were down about 27% last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone successfully get this issue addressed yet?

Dealer ordered a new molding part for the back window, I believe that is what they said, and I am taking the vehicle in Monday to get repaired, again. Once I get the work order I will know exactly what the part is and will post an update to this forum on Monday.

Dealer ordered a new molding part for the back window, I believe that is what they said, and I am taking the vehicle in Monday to get repaired, again. Once I get the work order I will know exactly what the part is and will post an update to this forum on Monday.

Thanks! I look forward to the answer as I would like to get mine fixed as well!

Got my wind noised fixed. Once my salesman returned from vacation he took care of everything. Got me an identical Edge to drive and made sure the noise was gone before having me come get it. He said they called Ford and tried a couple different. First, they drove mine and then another to make sure the noise was not a characteristic of the car, which is what Ford wanted them to tell me. Finally, they removed the driver's side mirror and drove it and the noise was gone. The replaced my old mirror with a new one and still no noise. Apparently there was enough of a defect in the shape of the mirror to cause the whistling noise. Not only was the car quiet, but when I picked the car up, he had it washed, detailed and filled with gas.

The clock issue is not resolved, but Ford acknowledges it is a problem and my salesman is hopeful a fix will come soon.

So, I'm pretty content with the resolution. Told my salesman I would be contact his general manager to relay how well he handled and got this fixed.

Most interesting. I would love to know what the difference between the two mirrors is. Do you know if they just replaced the mirror or the mirror and arm? I did notice that mine has a sort of raised rectangualr section that I dont remember being on my 2008 and was going to check it out at a dealers. The more I think about it the more I start to wonder if Ford know something. The fact that someone went straight to it is pushing co-incidence a long way

Edited by Theakerr

no GPS here

Your car has GPS in it... if you have MFT - if not, sorry - was just and idea.

Setting the clock

1. Press MENU > Clock.

2. Press + and — to adjust the time.

From this screen, you can also

access other adjustments such as 12

or 24 hour mode, to activate GPS

time synchronization, and to have

the system automatically update

new time zones.

I also have this noise, but let me say that I was trying to break my head wondering where it was coming from but while doing so noticed something pretty odd....

Yes, I only hear it at higher speed, e.g. around the 90km/h mark and up, however, I noticed that when I remove my foot from the accelerator that the noise goes away (and Im still rolling at the same speed).

I then did a press / release / press / release with the accelerator pedal and the noise followed the same pattern each time I touched and released the gas.

I then noticed while holding my foot on the gas doing 100, the noise was there, but found that it became less obvious when I put the car on cruise control?

And yes, it's also from the driver side front door, but honestly, it does not sound like air to me.

Am I dreaming or is anyone else able to try the tests I did and get the same results??

Just wanted to share what I found.

Tony

Edited by Dreamss

Got my wind noised fixed. Once my salesman returned from vacation he took care of everything. Got me an identical Edge to drive and made sure the noise was gone before having me come get it. He said they called Ford and tried a couple different. First, they drove mine and then another to make sure the noise was not a characteristic of the car, which is what Ford wanted them to tell me. Finally, they removed the driver's side mirror and drove it and the noise was gone. The replaced my old mirror with a new one and still no noise. Apparently there was enough of a defect in the shape of the mirror to cause the whistling noise. Not only was the car quiet, but when I picked the car up, he had it washed, detailed and filled with gas.

The clock issue is not resolved, but Ford acknowledges it is a problem and my salesman is hopeful a fix will come soon.

So, I'm pretty content with the resolution. Told my salesman I would be contact his general manager to relay how well he handled and got this fixed.

What year is your Edge and what state do you live in? I just got mine back for the fourth time and the issue still there.

After yesterdays comment re the outside mirror I did a bit of research. The results are, 1) on a 2011 Edge there are at least two different outside mirror mounting plates. 2) overall in the Edge history there are at least three different mounting plates 3) the difference is in a protuberance about 3/8" high that will be in the air-stream. One has a protuberance about 5" long going from the from top to bottom of the mounting plate just behind the mirror, the second has a similar shape but smaller protuberance of about 2.5" situated in roughly the middle of the mounting plate and the third has no protuberance at all. Based on 3 2011 (Canadian) Edges, all AWD LTD's at the dealers two WITHOUT the small blind spot mirror had full length protuberances and the one with the blind spot mirror had the smaller one. I located what was shown as a 2008 although of course it may have been a 2007 build (like my 1st Edge that I was so happy with) and it had the full length protuberance and no blind spot mirror. I also located a 2007 AWD SEL and it had nothing at all. My 2010 that I believe has excess wind noise has the blind spot mirror and the small protuberance. I will try to get some pictures of mine today and post them.

So what is the significance of these three different designs, if any? Whilst I think that the wind noise is worst at the top back of the window, I really am not sure since putting a towel or something just there does not change the wind noise. Air is a funny non intuitive thing, a bit like hydraulics. I cannot rule out that the noise is coming from one place but I appear to hear it as though it is coming from somewhere else. Anyway, there must be a reason why Ford have three different mounting plates. I have asked my dealer to contact Ford.

CORRELATION DATA ARE WRONG. SEE NEW POST Added 2010 Feb 3

Edited by Theakerr

I also have this noise, but let me say that I was trying to break my head wondering where it was coming from but while doing so noticed something pretty odd....

Yes, I only hear it at higher speed, e.g. around the 90km/h mark and up, however, I noticed that when I remove my foot from the accelerator that the noise goes away (and I’m still rolling at the same speed).

I then did a press / release / press / release with the accelerator pedal and the noise followed the same pattern each time I touched and released the gas.

I then noticed while holding my foot on the gas doing 100, the noise was there, but found that it became less obvious when I put the car on cruise control?

And yes, it's also from the driver side front door, but honestly, it does not sound like air to me.

Am I dreaming or is anyone else able to try the tests I did and get the same results??

Just wanted to share what I found.

Tony

I tested this last night and the noise was still there. I did tuck my driver side mirror in though after reading that the noise was fixed by a new mirror. This seemed to reduce the noise so I emailed my dealer what I found on here.