2011 Edge Sport mileage issues

Jonny Zero

For whatever reason, I am now getting 319 kms to a full tank..... I'm lost as I was getting 500 initially. The odometer reads 1900 kms at this point in time. Anyone else in the same boat?

I contacted a dealership and they advised me that they could do a fuel/mileage analysis on the vehicle but that it would cost me $100 if it came back negative. WTF? It's showing 30 + litres per 100 kms on my instrument panel. Is that not proof enough? I spent $45,000 CDN on this vehicle w/ an extended warranty and they are nickel and diming me off the hop? I have heard that it sometimes takes between 10 000 - 15 000 kms to obtain ideal mileage, but this is ridiculous.

I did have an issue with my vehicle stalling a while back and an odd smell coming from the exhaust. Also, I have winters on without sensors and the vehicle is not "sensing" this all the time. Every now and again it shows an error code, but it is definitely intermittent. Call me crazy, but shouldn't it be detecting this every waking moment?????????????????? I'm beginning to wonder if I have some sort of electrical problem going on. Who knows, maybe my O2 sensor is pooched already, but the damn vehicle doesn't have enough "sense" to throw a code.

Any thoughts, advice, familiarity, etc is appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Jonny Zero

Hi guys,

SO i have had my 2011 Edge Sport for about 3 months now. I noticed today when the warning said 4 km left before tank was empty that the actual milage was about 350 km and about 59 litres used.

Has anyway else seen this? I think i may need to get my guage re-cailbrated?

Hi guys,

SO i have had my 2011 Edge Sport for about 3 months now. I noticed today when the warning said 4 km left before tank was empty that the actual milage was about 350 km and about 59 litres used.

Has anyway else seen this? I think i may need to get my guage re-cailbrated?

This is NOT off at all! We have seen TERRIBLE MPG numbers since ownership. In fact, after a 150 mile trip of literally driving like a gandpa on the expressway, I was averaging 18.5 MPG. WTF??? This is terrible and not at all what we expected for fuel consumption based on the window sticker. We already have a private party buyer alligned to sell the car. F-Ford and this BS. I'm hella pissed.

Oh, and good luck with getting them to take it back. You really think they'll eat it on this? Not likely at all. My dealership laughed at me when I demanded they take the vehicle back.

Out of the dealership we observed mid 19's. Winter blend gasoline brought this number down, but then I got a K&N cotton gauze filter for christmas and my mileage increased again to the mid 18's. I expect that when the weather warms and the winter blend gas is gone the number will continue to climb. Don't forget too that new engines take some miles to "loosen" up for their optimal fuel economy. My 2008 took about 10k miles before I saw the best fuel economy numbers it would get.

Edited by Edgieguy

Also remember the empty weight is about 4500# (for my Edge Limited with 3/4 tank gas) and possibly more for the Sport. Loaded to 5100# and cruising on the interstates I'll only get about 19 -21 mpg, not the 25 the Limited AWD is rated at. I probably can milk 25 out of it but I bought it to enjoy. If I was that concerned about mileage I would have bought something else, or kept my Subaru. My 2008 Subaru Outback (non turbo) loaded similar and driven the same would only do about 26. It weighed 1000# less and really didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way. City driving with alot of stop and go it will be alot worse. So, given the Edge weight and fairly decent performance, I'm OK with these figures.

BTW, Motor Trend magazine is a pretty good place to look for real world mpg. They have a standard course of mixed driving and I don't think their testers are trying for economy. Their observed economy for a FWD SEL is 16.9, 14.4 for the AWD Sport. They also show the SEL is quicker since it weighs about 330# less. So, if you are ever at a light next to a plane jane SEL, don't bet your pink slip on the outcome. Just remember, the Sport is one awesome looking vehicle and the SEL won't make a trip any shorter!

look up what I did to raise my gas mileage and horse power.

I will be doing a four wheel dyno and tracking the fuel/air ratio during the dyno test just to make sure that my engine is staying with-in the required allowed limits of not running too lean.

'You will need to look at my album and my past posts.

The dealer checked my fuel/air ratio and it is sitting right on 25% allowed limits.

I get 19-23 MPG around the suburb in warm weather, and 23-28 MPG on the flat Florida highways as long as I do not have a heavy load, or any load, added to my car, exept me driving in it, and I stay at 55 MPH to 75 MPH.

Then, those are my mileage figures week after week with regular 10% ethinol gas. I think I have about 50 HP gain from factory settings.

I have an AWD too with a glass roof. I may have up to 390 HP, according to my dealer /service people, but the dyno will tell all.

Ps;. MY Sport is so much faster than any other SEL or any fwd. Edge, and most any other standard car on the road now (except fpr others that have fixe up their cars with high performance add-ons. It does roar when I give it that little extra press on the gas, and is much more responsive too.

Alos, I have driven it 9,000 miles now, like this, and it runs great.

Edited by Buzzman

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you'll keep posting updates, and I'm sure all the Sport owners would be very interested in your dyno numbers even if your HP gains aren't 50...

look up what I did to raise my gas mileage and horse power.

I will be doing a four wheel dyno and tracking the fuel/air ratio during the dyno test just to make sure that my engine is staying with-in the required allowed limits of not running too lean.

'You will need to look at my album and my past posts.

The dealer checked my fuel/air ratio and it is sitting right on 25% allowed limits.

I get 19-23 MPG around the suburb in warm weather, and 23-28 MPG on the flat Florida highways as long as I do not have a heavy load, or any load, added to my car, exept me driving in it, and I stay at 55 MPH to 75 MPH.

Then, those are my mileage figures week after week with regular 10% ethinol gas. I think I have about 50 HP gain from factory settings.

I have an AWD too with a glass roof. I may have up to 390 HP, according to my dealer /service people, but the dyno will tell all.

Ps;. MY Sport is so othuch faster than any other SEL or any fwd. Edge, and most any other standard car on the road now (except fpr others that have fixe up their cars with high performance add-ons. It does roar when I give it that little extra press on the gas, and is much more responsive too.

Alos, I have driven it 9,000 miles now, like this, and it runs great.

Edited by Edgieguy

2011 Edge Sport with less than 800 miles on it. We are still in the break in phase obviously, and the avg. mileage we are seeing is around 19mpg. Not really seeing numbers around the stated EPA highway averages yet. Hope it will improve some in the coming months but gas mileage was not a selling point for us.

Not trying to being mean here but will state the obvious. Enjoy your ride for the REAL reasons you bought it, which I would say for most the SPORT is all about the styling and technology. I doubt many/any of us paid much attention to other vehicles in the showroom that get substantially better MPG's.

For me, comfort, style, and technology was more important than how much I spend a year on fuel. For argument sakes, consider the following:

-Spend roughly 40K on your car

-Monthly payments shelling out $500-600 a month (if financing)

-Fuel hits $4 a gallon, and drive 15K miles a year

....The difference between getting an average of 19mpg vs. 25mpg is about $750 a year at $4/Gallon. Considering how much we spent on the vehicle for the added style and creature comforts this doesn't sound all that bad to me.

• 2 months later...