MFT v2.8 update

I've had 2.8 for the past weekend so i thought I would start a new thread on what I have noticed or experienced so far. Even though I briefly had 2.7 on my car my comments will be generally referring to the differences I've noticed between 2.4 and 2.8 as my car was built with 2.4 in January.

The good news:

1) The audio system turning itself on when performing a voice command has been fixed (IE, zombie audio system).

2) Button responses are improved, particularly seat heater buttons.

3) No mid-driving system reboots have been noted so far.

4) No navigation failure messages have been seen yet.

5) I have left my USB device plugged in, and also have left "Autoplay" set to yes, but the system has not tried to switch my audio source when I start the car to USB without me telling it to switch. So it looks like no more need for the setting of the Autoplay to No workaround.

The not as good news:

1) Once you search for any place other than "nearby" on the weather map it now seems to want to go to that location automatically any time you go directly to the weather map. Pressing either current weather or 5 day forecast will correctly show info for my current location, and then switching back to the map and it's corrected. Seems like a bug to me.

2) I uploaded a new location via Google maps but it was not available for download via SYNC on Saturday. For whatever reason it was there this morning. This would probably be more of an issue with the SYNC service than the software my car was running, but I figured I would mention it anyway.

3) I have noticed several time that SYNC movie services will give me all the information on local movies except for showtime. This happened again this morning. I selected a movie that I know is still playing (verified), but the SYNC system told me there were no more showtimes today. Second time I've seen that. Again, probably not related to the software version on my car.

If I notice anything else (good or bad) I'll report back here to let you know. But for those folks with problems that have been waiting for a decent release of code to jump on 2.8 is looking pretty to good to me so far...

The not as good news:

1) Once you search for any place other than "nearby" on the weather map it now seems to want to go to that location automatically any time you go directly to the weather map. Pressing either current weather or 5 day forecast will correctly show info for my current location, and then switching back to the map and it's corrected. Seems like a bug to me.

2) I uploaded a new location via Google maps but it was not available for download via SYNC on Saturday. For whatever reason it was there this morning. This would probably be more of an issue with the SYNC service than the software my car was running, but I figured I would mention it anyway.

3) I have noticed several time that SYNC movie services will give me all the information on local movies except for showtime. This happened again this morning. I selected a movie that I know is still playing (verified), but the SYNC system told me there were no more showtimes today. Second time I've seen that. Again, probably not related to the software version on my car.

If I notice anything else (good or bad) I'll report back here to let you know. But for those folks with problems that have been waiting for a decent release of code to jump on 2.8 is looking pretty to good to me so far...

all your "The not as good news" sound like the sync servers and not the car software. Remember, when you dial the sync service, your car is not being used at all, all the voice control and information is being used on the sync servers. So you car software sound like it works.

all your "The not as good news" sound like the sync servers and not the car software. Remember, when you dial the sync service, your car is not being used at all, all the voice control and information is being used on the sync servers. So you car software sound like it works.

Agree with you except for my first issue. I was talking about the screen based weather stuff, not the SYNC weather service. Basically the Travellink system.

And also in fairness to the folks here that have experienced other problems I have no idea if 2.8 will fix those. For instance, my calender and clock have always been correct since they day I bought the car so I never had that issue to begin with.

Agree with you except for my first issue. I was talking about the screen based weather stuff, not the SYNC weather service. Basically the Travellink system.

And also in fairness to the folks here that have experienced other problems I have no idea if 2.8 will fix those. For instance, my calender and clock have always been correct since they day I bought the car so I never had that issue to begin with.

Hi All, Same here. I started off my Edge Sport with v2.8 MFT. No issues with system re-boots or clock/calender issues to report on. I do have an hour drive to work each way an all has been working fine; a bit sluggish sometimes; but fine!

Damon

Well, mine was updated to v2.8 by the dealer a few weeks back.

The backup camera works great all the time.

Start-up of the system seems about the same with the exception of navigation. It seems to take quite a bit longer to come available. Once up, the system is snappier. That might be 5 minutes after startup, though.

I've had at least 4 reboots at start-up (system maintenance) since the upgrade for no apparent reason and when that happens it can take a few restarts to stabilize. After the reboot, it is a good 5 to 10 minutes before the system responds to touch input.

I had one completely black screen start-up that required me to shut off the car and restart after opening the door and closing it again.

When I start backing up immediately after start up, when the camera goes off, the screen is often black for up to a minute -- sometimes completely black, sometimes with the 4 corner icons visible, but a blank middle area of the screen.

-steve

Well, mine was updated to v2.8 by the dealer a few weeks back.

The backup camera works great all the time.

Start-up of the system seems about the same with the exception of navigation. It seems to take quite a bit longer to come available. Once up, the system is snappier. That might be 5 minutes after startup, though.

I've had at least 4 reboots at start-up (system maintenance) since the upgrade for no apparent reason and when that happens it can take a few restarts to stabilize. After the reboot, it is a good 5 to 10 minutes before the system responds to touch input.

I had one completely black screen start-up that required me to shut off the car and restart after opening the door and closing it again.

When I start backing up immediately after start up, when the camera goes off, the screen is often black for up to a minute -- sometimes completely black, sometimes with the 4 corner icons visible, but a blank middle area of the screen.

-steve

Well, I'm not waisting my time on this update.

How about v3.2 ???

Don't discount the v2.8 update just yet. His issues might be APIM related.

That's very true and I've considered it. Since taking delivery of the Edge Sport back at the end of October I was running the original 1.8 and had to pull the fuse almost weekly, sometimes more often. The issues would almost always begin with a misbehaving backup camera. After the 2.8 update/re-flash, I've not had to pull the fuse at all, but the randomness of the reboots seems odd. I've not been able to pin down anything that would explain them. I can go a few days or more between the reboots and once it resets all is well for a while -- after that initial laggy start as things are apparently initializing once again.

-steve

Well, I'm not waisting my time on this update.

How about v3.2 ???

It really does make you wonder why different folks running the same software can be having such different experiences. Unlike a normal PC environment where everyone is running different combinations of hardware with different 3rd party software loaded this MFT really is a pretty homogenious and closed system. We all have identical hardware, processors, memory, etc. The only variability would be connected bluetooth phones and devices and whatever is plugged into the USB, but it doesn't seem like external devices should really be able to cause all this havoc. Certainly I put my car into reverse which activates the backup camera probably as much as anyone else and that has never locked up my system. It is truely odd.

It really does make you wonder why different folks running the same software can be having such different experiences. Unlike a normal PC environment where everyone is running different combinations of hardware with different 3rd party software loaded this MFT really is a pretty homogenious and closed system. We all have identical hardware, processors, memory, etc. The only variability would be connected bluetooth phones and devices and whatever is plugged into the USB, but it doesn't seem like external devices should really be able to cause all this havoc. Certainly I put my car into reverse which activates the backup camera probably as much as anyone else and that has never locked up my system. It is truely odd.

One would have to wonder about the vendor Ford chose for the APIMs. Are they using parts that are marginally within specs...or out of spec??

Does my CPU come from a salvaged 386 PC from the 90s?

Edited by wilsons66604

Don't discount the v2.8 update just yet. His issues might be APIM related.

Changes include the "zombie audio system" glitch and more. It's listed on a thread here somewhere... I'll update this post if I find it.

Not discounting it. I just don't see a need for me to waste time getting it. Not that much different than the 2.7 I'm on

Not discounting it. I just don't see a need for me to waste time getting it. Not that much different than the 2.7 I'm on

Having had 2.7 as well I might disagree with this a bit. I have seen several things fixed just between those two releases. Of course, it's your car and your time so I completely understand if you want to wait for something better but my immediate impression between the two is that 2.8 is a better place to be.

How did you get the latest updates? I went to syncmyride.com it told me to get my current version by using USB drive, I did. When I plug it back into the computer syncmyride.com say I have 2.4 and that its up to date. So is there a better web site to use than what im currently using?

I got the latest update by coming to this forum and hearing that it was available. To my knowledge there have been no updates that have been downloadable via the syncmyride web site, maybe there will be in the future? I also have never received any letters or emails from Ford. I just found out here and went to my dealer and asked for the update.

I got the latest update by coming to this forum and hearing that it was available. To my knowledge there have been no updates that have been downloadable via the syncmyride web site, maybe there will be in the future? I also have never received any letters or emails from Ford. I just found out here and went to my dealer and asked for the update.

Yup... unless you complain about your issue to the dealer, you probably won't know.

I have yet to receive a single thing in the mail regarding updates, but my v2.7 has glitches and I know there's a v2.8 from being here. Membership has its benefits.

How did you get the latest updates? I went to syncmyride.com it told me to get my current version by using USB drive, I did. When I plug it back into the computer syncmyride.com say I have 2.4 and that its up to date. So is there a better web site to use than what im currently using?

What you downloaded and installed was the status checker. It's not sync software.

Yup... unless you complain about your issue to the dealer, you probably won't know.

I have yet to receive a single thing in the mail regarding updates, but my v2.7 has glitches and I know there's a v2.8 from being here. Membership has its benefits.

Yep, I've had 1.8 installed on my edge since Oct 2010, I never received anything from ford or my purchasing dealership, I have been following the forum, and finally went in for an update today, 2.8 installed after what looks like two attempts from the look of the sync history, but it looks like it took. I haven't had a chance to play with it, but there are a few small differences which I can visually see so it looks like the update took. Still noticed some lag but not sure if it will settle down after a few days.. will have to keep a sys on it. Unlike most, the only major complains I had with the system was the white screen after opening/closing the doors and some slowness in the system, my radio stations are still saved, lost my phone pairing but I paired it again and it took right away so far so good.

M.

Since I've been a proponent of people getting this 2.8 update I want to admit some problems I have been experiencing as well. Maybe I mess with this Travellink stuff more than the average owner, I'm not sure, but for whatever reason most of my Travellink options have been hung up with the dreaded hourglass for the past 3 days, and when I try to go to the weather directly with a voice command it comes back and says "Acquiring" with a pop up message that it will take a few minutes to download the information. Also, I have noticed that my Sirius Music Channel Guide will hang up most times I try to pull that up as well.

The weird thing on the Travellink stuff is both "Sports" and "Ski Conditions" are working, but everything else is stuck on the hourglass deal. Kind of handy since I'm not into either one. :-)

Since I've been a proponent of people getting this 2.8 update I want to admit some problems I have been experiencing as well. Maybe I mess with this Travellink stuff more than the average owner, I'm not sure, but for whatever reason most of my Travellink options have been hung up with the dreaded hourglass for the past 3 days, and when I try to go to the weather directly with a voice command it comes back and says "Acquiring" with a pop up message that it will take a few minutes to download the information. Also, I have noticed that my Sirius Music Channel Guide will hang up most times I try to pull that up as well.

The weird thing on the Travellink stuff is both "Sports" and "Ski Conditions" are working, but everything else is stuck on the hourglass deal. Kind of handy since I'm not into either one. :-)

Do you know Sirius and XM updated their channels the other day so they match each other? The system had to do an update, did yours seem to "take"? There should have been messages on the screen.

My 2.8 seems better than 2.4. I've had it for about 10 days. In the first couple of days it dropped my connection to my phone and I had a heck of a time reconnecting-had to re-pair, but since then no problems with any part of th eMFT.

Do you know Sirius and XM updated their channels the other day so they match each other? The system had to do an update, did yours seem to "take"? There should have been messages on the screen.

My 2.8 seems better than 2.4. I've had it for about 10 days. In the first couple of days it dropped my connection to my phone and I had a heck of a time reconnecting-had to re-pair, but since then no problems with any part of th eMFT.

I haven't seen any messages about Sirius updating. Maybe that is what is wrong with my Travellink stuff?

I just had 2.8 installed from 2.4 and love how much faster it is. Screens have animated transitions now that they didnt have before and there is no major delays. One big problem them... I no longer have sync services at all! Looks like i have to head back to the dealer and go without my car for another day :( They gave me a filthy, smoke smelling 09 focus as a loaner. I think this time ill take the shuttle.

I too had problems with 2.4 and upgraded to 2.8 as a result of this forum, on my 2011 EDGE.

Yes its much better, but it locked up twice, seemingly after I added my iphone to my wife's on Sync; Hers is the primary phone. 2.8 is better because when it locks up, turning on and off the car makes it go thru a maintenance update and reset without losing all your data or cell connections. However, here's my thought---do you think there is a conflict between SIRIUS and Sync/MFT??? Reason I ask is that when my phone is the only one in the car, it takes about 90 seconds to linkup. If my wife's phone is the only one in the car, it hooks up in about 10 seconds. Also, if both our phones are in the car, only hers links up. One time we met at a restaurant and took two cars, parking next to each other. I had the EDGE. When we left, my car linked to HER phone in the other car even though it had my phone active when I turned the car off. She called me and the car was linked to her phone driving ahead in another car. Funny.

I did an experiment where I went to Sync and made my phone the primary phone. Her phone still linked up. With my phone, all the Sync services, traffic, movies, sports, etc do not link up, never have. keeps on the hour glass mode. I haven't checked if they will with my wife's phone yet. Here's the link to Sirius: Sirius will take only ONE phone number, which is my wife's. I called them yesterday and they say all services are active, etc. Both Sirius and Sync have traffic services etc. Could Sirius be controlling Sync where it always tries to look for It's active phone, my wife's, FIRST even if Sync has mine as the active one? Then when system, Sync and Sirius, each has a different primary phone, the system hangs because it can't resolve whose phone is really primary. I wonder if Ford has considered this? I have not yet tried to correlate this but will look into it some more.

I may be way off base on this but there must be a reason why people have these problems with Sync.