MFT v2.8 update

I just don't want to have to pay for a free update at the dealer

I've had 2 updates done at the dealership in the last 4 months and I haven't paid for either of them, and I have received no notification or letters from Ford saying there were updates available. Your dealer should be able to look up the service bulletin or letter that was sent to some and that will allow them to do this update for you under warranty at no charge to you. Assuming you have less than 36,000 miles on your vehicle, not sure what the deal would be after then...

Unless Canada is different than the US version wise

Ā 

I don't think they'd have completely different versions. In any case, I'm in Ontario and was one of the first people on the forum to get 2.7, so for sure we've go that one. Its quite buggy though, so I'm just waiting for my next service in about a month to get them to update again. Perhaps we'll have a 2.9 or even a 3.0 by then..

Got 2.8 installed at the dealer last week...lost all navigation functions!

Ā 

Going back tomorrow!

Ā 

:-(

Ā 

Just an update!

Ā 

They have wiped and re-uploaded the software and it didn't fix the problem. They have no idea why this has happened and it's staying over night now.

Ā 

They have the team at Ford looking at it and it's connected to a laptop that's connected to Ford for remote analysis. No error codes but no Navigation either.

Ā 

Swell...

Iā€™m on MFT 2.4 now and was going to make an appointment to get the 2.8 update. But before I did I called Sync Support on a different matter related to the recent Sirius channel update. After the update my presets automatically moved to the new channels, but the voice commands for the channels didn't update.

Ā 

For example, when I say the Sync command to go to "Classic Rewind", it tunes to the previous channel for Classis Rewind (#15) instead of the new channel (#25). Sync Support said this should be fixed in the next update (3.2?) in the next few weeks, so I'll be waiting for that version to come out so I don't have to make the trip to the dealer twice.

Iā€™m on MFT 2.4 now and was going to make an appointment to get the 2.8 update. But before I did I called Sync Support on a different matter related to the recent Sirius channel update. After the update my presets automatically moved to the new channels, but the voice commands for the channels didn't update.

Ā 

For example, when I say the Sync command to go to "Classic Rewind", it tunes to the previous channel for Classis Rewind (#15) instead of the new channel (#25). Sync Support said this should be fixed in the next update (3.2?) in the next few weeks, so I'll be waiting for that version to come out so I don't have to make the trip to the dealer twice.

Ā 

Update: after six days, I got the 2011 Edge back. APN mod was replaced as well as software. Back up camera works, seat heater works (which are tip-offs that there are more problems if they don't work). After pairing, phone would randomly disconnect but then seemed to be fine.

Ā 

Then after stopping off for lunch....black screen. No screen=no radio, no voice commands, no nav, no IPod, no bluetooth.

Ā 

At this point, I'm speechless. A Ltd with the 20" wheels and the other goodies tossed in retailed for $42,500 and the central component upon which all of the electronics work is kaput.

Ā 

I'll update if I can coax it back to life....otherwise, back to the dealership.

Edited by SonomaDriver

Update: after six days, I got the 2011 Edge back. APN mod was replaced as well as software. Back up camera works, seat heater works (which are tip-offs that there are more problems if they don't work). After pairing, phone would randomly disconnect but then seemed to be fine.

Ā 

Then after stopping off for lunch....black screen. No screen=no radio, no voice commands, no nav, no IPod, no bluetooth.

Ā 

At this point, I'm speechless. A Ltd with the 20" wheels and the other goodies tossed in retailed for $42,500 and the central component upon which all of the electronics work is kaput.

Ā 

I'll update if I can coax it back to life....otherwise, back to the dealership.

Ā 

That's sucks ... keep us posted. I've been wanting to get the v2.7 thinking it would solve my random freezes etc.... Now, I'm thinking I should wait until after v3+

That's sucks ... keep us posted. I've been wanting to get the v2.7 thinking it would solve my random freezes etc.... Now, I'm thinking I should wait until after v3+

Ā 

I went straight back to the dealer and showed the service manager the dead screen and the fact everything is down. To fix it, they did a "hard reset," disconnecting the battery cable for 30 secs to ensure all power was drained from the capacitors. They then reconnected the battery and restarted the car which re-initializes the system.

Ā 

So far, things seem to be working. Wi-Fi does connect (there was someone who said it wouldn't with this update). I confirmed with SyncMyRide that this is version 2.8. This is supposedly the most current version as of 25 May 2011.

Ā 

Unless you are having major problems or there is some annoying bug that is driving you crazy, wait as long as you can to update your software. It appears there are new versions flying out all the time. As has been mentioned before, get it done during a schedule maintenance cycle and plan on being without your car at least a day.

Edited by SonomaDriver

I went straight back to the dealer and showed the service manager the dead screen and the fact everything is down. To fix it, they did a "hard reset," disconnecting the battery cable for 30 secs to ensure all power was drained from the capacitors. They then reconnected the battery and restarted the car which re-initializes the system.

Ā 

So far, things seem to be working. Wi-Fi does connect (there was someone who said it wouldn't with this update). I confirmed with SyncMyRide that this is version 2.8. This is supposedly the most current version as of 25 May 2011.

Ā 

Unless you are having major problems or there is some annoying bug that is driving you crazy, wait as long as you can to update your software. It appears there are new versions flying out all the time. As has been mentioned before, get it done during a schedule maintenance cycle and plan on being without your car at least a day.

I always said that the install and/or update process should include a couple of reboots at the end.

Glad you got yours working!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Funny thing, I was going to suggest a fuse 29 pull, but since I'm on an older version, I'm not one to be giving advice on this build.

Ā 

Glad its better now.

Ā 

I'm going back to my original dealer to have them re align some body parts, so I guess I'll let them take care of that and my "free oil change" (even though I want to change it myself)

i just got back from the dealer after having perform the update to 2.8 from 2.4. Right away I can tell that it is much improved over the previous version. Button presses are much more responsive and flipping between different menu options are noticeably faster. Overall I'm quite happy with the update and had not experience any of the problems others had mention. So far everything seems to be functioning but only time will tell.

Just an update on my two week old 2011 Edge Limited: four days at the dealer, programmed over and over, hooked up to Ford through a linkup for troubleshooting, and STILL no navigation. I feel like an idiot now with one of the major reasons I bought this car no longer functioning. Worse I talked this stuff up as a cool feature to have. Meanwhile the nav in my 2007 Shelby continues to work like a charm as it has for more than 4 years! This is progress Ford? :-(

I just spoke with Ford Customer Care for Sync and she confirmed that for my 2011 SEL EDGE there is an update for version 2.10 currently available.

Ā 

Did you get the update? Did Ford Customer Care for Sync mention fixes or features with 2.10?

Got my Ltd with 2.8 with these updates listed:

Ā 

BT4T-14D546-AM

BT4T-14F496-AP

BT4T-14F497-AM

SYNC compatible software

BT4T-14F603-AM

Ā 

Ā 

After 1 week, only issues are:

• Saw 1 reboot ("scheduled maintenance", driving back home from the dealership. The irony is that this reboot seemed to stabilze the system (ex: the startup screen now shows the default "4 corner" display)
  • On every car start, delay of 2-5 minutes before the touch screen becomes responsive. Noticed that finger presses seem to be buffered: when initially touching the screen, no reaction, but when the system is finally ready, I can hear the 2-3 pops in succession corresponding to the previous touches

Ā 

The delay is annoying, but I could be patient if I knew a fix was coming with 2.10 (?)

Ā 

Ā 

So, what's the news about 2.10?