Dangerous stalling problem

twmarsh

Todd,

This just started happening on our 2008 Ford Edge. It is a VERY scary experience when this happens. The car suddenly stalled without warning with a flashing wrench light. Pull over to the side of the road and restart the car and all is fine.

I am very concerned because my wife normally drives the car with our 2 toddlers. I couldnt imagine what would happen if the car did this in a turn and my family was injured or worse.

Someone needs to get to the bottom of this quick!

This just started happening on our 2008 Ford Edge. It is a VERY scary experience when this happens. The car suddenly stalled without warning with a flashing wrench light. Pull over to the side of the road and restart the car and all is fine.

I am very concerned because my wife normally drives the car with our 2 toddlers. I couldnt imagine what would happen if the car did this in a turn and my family was injured or worse.

Someone needs to get to the bottom of this quick!

Have you been to your dealer for this concern, dougm0?

There are rumors floating around that there is now a TSB for the throttle body issue. 14-xxxx. Have to get a copy to look at, but hopefully that can be pulled up by your servicing dealer.

I'd check with your servicing dealer (as suggested) for updated TSB info.

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

ohh I had this problem on my ford edge 2007, At red stop my car would stall, then i had to restart and could go on. I had check engine on few times. I cant remember what they did to fix it, but its on my paper, ill go look at it. It was a small piece looked like a box.. anyway ill go look for it tomorow

• 2 months later...

My 2 day old brand new Edge stalled today. I was backing up out of a parking spot onto a busy road. I am not at all happy about this. This is the first time I've ever had a car stall, and we are supposed to leave on a long car trip in a couple of days. No lights cam on.

• 7 months later...

Same thing happened to us. We were also have a problem with our brakes. Ford replaced the Brake Booster and it fixed both issues. Shocking. Apparently the Brake Booster uses are from the engine compartment to help make braking easier. Well the Brake Booster was malfunctioning and cause fluctuation in the air flow of the engine and thereby causing the car to stall. It was looking like an airflow or throttle body issue, when it wasn't.

I recently cleaned my TB on my 2008 with 86XXX miles, it was pretty gross. I wasn't having any stall problems, but I wanted to do preventative maintenance to preclude any malfunctions. I could see how the butterfly valve could eventually stick on the grim if left to accumulate. I did the same thing on my 2004 Mazda 6. It's easy to do, just pull the battery, disconnect the intake and remove the connector plug and 4 bolts. Avoid manipulating the throttle valve too much and don't use abrasive material to clean, otherwise you will remove the special coating. If that doesn't work, just buy a new TB off the internet and install it yourself, good luck.

• Like 2

Never cleaned mine. Most likely has a mouse nest, with rampant cockroaches swirling around inside. Too afraid to touch it as the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I recently cleaned my TB on my 2008 with 86XXX miles, it was pretty gross. I wasn't having any stall problems, but I wanted to do preventative maintenance to preclude any malfunctions. I could see how the butterfly valve could eventually stick on the grim if left to accumulate. I did the same thing on my 2004 Mazda 6. It's easy to do, just pull the battery, disconnect the intake and remove the connector plug and 4 bolts. Avoid manipulating the throttle valve too much and don't use abrasive material to clean, otherwise you will remove the special coating. If that doesn't work, just buy a new TB off the internet and install it yourself, good luck.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2015 Edge Titanium purchased Jan 2016 that now has 10,500 miles. It stalled out on me for first time 4 days ago. Then again 2 times next day. Then 2 times driving to dealer. The first and 3rd time I was in heavy traffic on major hwy with construction giving no safe place to coast over. It is only by the grace of God I was not rear ended in 60-70 MPH traffic. The dealer said would check it out and let me know what the issue is in a couple of days. I am scared to drive this vehicle again as it is unpredictable from my experience and from what I now read from others.

My 2015 Ford EDGE 13000 miles stalled while I was in the intersection. POWER ACCESSORYACTIVE light came on

I was able to park and restart the engine again

I noticed a lot of people having the same problem with this car, I filed a safety complaint with NHSTA

I hope FORD fix this problem before one of us get killed

My 2015 Ford EDGE 13000 miles stalled while I was in the intersection. POWER ACCESSORYACTIVE light came on

I was able to park and restart the engine again

I noticed a lot of people having the same problem with this car, I filed a safety complaint with NHSTA

I hope FORD fix this problem before one of us get killed

Did you give Ford a chance to fix it?

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a new 2016 Ford Edge Titanium. I drove it only 5 miles after purchase and it broke down. It only had 49 miles when it broke down. I took it back to Ford and asked for a new one and they would not exchange it. They did not do the proper inspection and have horrible customer service. They said it was the fuel relay switch. Does anyone have this problem? I am trying to go through the buyback process because the car still shakes randomly but of course they are not "diagnosing the problem" while it is in service. I bought the car a week ago and I only had it 2 days. Ford corporate also did not do anything about it claiming the contract is between the dealership and me. Any advice?

Calm down and do t post the same thing multiple times. As noted in the other thread see if your state has a return period. Of not you just have to let them fix it. Chances are it's something simple and once fixed you won't have other problems. It does not mean it's a lemon.

Sounds like she is in panic mode. I know that feeling as I have been there before. My Land Rover actually broke down the same day I bought it. Something else to keep in mind based on her location in SoCal is that there are likely many other dealers that she can try if this dealer ends up being a dud.

Edited by junehhan