Dangerous stalling problem

twmarsh

I have a 2007 Ford Edge that intermittently stalls suddenly and without warning, creating a potentially catastrophic situation. Dealer claimed to have fixed it by "cleaning out the lint from the intake," but engine continued to stall intermittently. Researched and found many, many others with similar problem. If anyone knows of an injury or death that has occurred because of this problem, please contact me. Alternatively, if anyone is aware of a class action that has already been filed, please contact me. Thank you.

I have a 2007 Ford Edge that intermittently stalls suddenly and without warning, creating a potentially catastrophic situation. Dealer claimed to have fixed it by "cleaning out the lint from the intake," but engine continued to stall intermittently. Researched and found many, many others with similar problem. If anyone knows of an injury or death that has occurred because of this problem, please contact me. Alternatively, if anyone is aware of a class action that has already been filed, please contact me. Thank you.

Many, many others? That's strange - I don't recall seeing anyone here with a similar problem. You need to find another dealer willing to investigate and fix the real problem. Sounds like the first one just didn't want to be bothered.

• Like 1

How about some links to show the other many many others with similar problems

Ha Ha Ha LoL and all that crap. You must be from the Chevy forum. Try cleaning the MAF sensor and see if that fixes your problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously guys! This has happened to a few of us, you must not have seen the posts. kenzlf had the dealer state it was the catalytic converter, but I don't think its been long enough since the repair to know.

Here is one of them...in fact the one I started, but there is at least one more thread about it as well.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/6059-engine-stalled-while-backing-up/

I do think talk about a class action is going a bit far though, it certainly isn't that wide spread of an issue. My issue has never resurfaced..knock on wood!, so I'm not convinced it is even related to kenzlf's issue, but that does sound similar to your problem.

Also if its an 07', I don't think you'd have a chance, they'd just say its from use. Its certainly not uncommon for older cars to stall. 07' isn't that old, but its not new. I'd be more inclined to ask for help on resolving the issue as apposed to asking if we know of any deaths.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Seriously guys! This has happened to a few of us, you must not have seen the posts. kenzlf had the dealer state it was the catalytic converter, but I don't think its been long enough since the repair to know.

Here is one of them...in fact the one I started, but there is at least one more thread about it as well.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/6059-engine-stalled-while-backing-up/

I do think talk about a class action is going a bit far though, it certainly isn't that wide spread of an issue. My issue has never resurfaced..knock on wood!, so I'm not convinced it is even related to kenzlf's issue, but that does sound similar to your problem.

Also if its an 07', I don't think you'd have a chance, they'd just say its from use. Its certainly not uncommon for older cars to stall. 07' isn't that old, but its not new. I'd be more inclined to ask for help on resolving the issue as apposed to asking if we know of any deaths.

Has anyone found a solution to this stalling problem. My 07 had this problem once or twice a couple of months after I bought it in 07. The dealer never found a problem. Then it was fine until recently. Now it is stalling intermittently.

• 7 months later...

I have a 2011 Ford Edge that just stalled again for the 3rd time. The first two times were in May and it just happened again this weekend. The first two times I was on the highway (with kids in car) and car just stopped accelerating and the wrench light came on. Thankfully I was able to steer car to side of road as it coasted to a stop. It happened again this weekend in neighborhood, going 35mph. Took it to dealer all 3 times. First time they said I had carbon build up in fuel system and charged me $400. Second time said they couldn't "duplicate" the problem, but said they "recalibrated" the system. The car is at the dealer now for 3rd stalling incident and they say they can't find anything wrong. I'm afraid I'm going to get killed in this car. From what I've read, most people that have had this issue, it was the throttle body. They refuse to replace it because they say it's testing okay. Anyone else with similar problem get their car fixed and if so what was the problem?

2007 ford edge 2 weeks ago just dies,starts after a bit,take it to dealer,no codes,bad gas,they say,added new gas ,water remover,does it again,no codes,no one knows,drain tank,new plugs,reload with different gas company,drive a couple days ,does it again,any experiences or suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I start replacing $$$$$$$parts,47000 miles,never acted up before,I love the vehicle,and take care of it properly.

I have a 2012 ford edge and mine is doing the same thing and all they can tell me is that they cant duplicate the concern. and it has put me at risk 3 times in high traffic where the cars behind me have almost destroyed me. Did you find a case for this that could help me as well.

THanks

• Like 2

2011 Edge limited.

Same thing happened several times.. it really sucked.. and it sucked even more when I was told they couldn't find anything wrong. then it happend again. This time, they said it was due to bad catalytic converter, which I seriously doubted.

Here is what I learned from reading the repair report:

"cat replaced, took out for a test drive... engine stalled, not able to start,,, towed back to shop..."

It happened right in their face after they installed the new cat..

The report continues:

"bad circuit traced, and replaced"

since then, it's all good...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Happened to my wife's 2007 Edge a few times. The last time it stalled was the one that pissed me off. It happened at 7am with my daughter in the car, she was merging onto the highway and it died on the on ramp.

They almost got killed my the cars swerving around them to get on the highway they were now blocking. Thank God my friend was able to tow her out and get them and the truck back home.

Started right up the next day and I drove it straight to Ford and got her a new one that day.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2012 Edge SEL purchased used in December of 2012. Was an off rental with 29178 miles.

During the summer of 2013 the car stalled two times. Loss of power and would not accelerate. Each time restarted OK with no check engine lamp. Ran SYNC engine diagnostic with no failures indicated.

In March 6 2014 stalled twice for wife. No check engine lamp. Mileage now 42778. Took to dealer on March 13. They received DTC P0442. Ran pinpoint test HX1-HX45. Diagnosed as defective purge valve AU5Z9C915B. Retested EVAP and verified repair.

Car stalled again on March 15 2014. Check engine light remained lighted. Returned to dealer. Performed EEC test and received DTC P2111 and P2112. Replaced throttle body AT4Z9E926B.

It is now March 17 and car made it through a day without an issue. We are taking a trip this weekend so I will update next week.

Edited by bobindc99
  • Like 1

Happened twice on my 11 Edge but dealer won't do anything until they can duplicate it and once you restart it removes error codes. Seems to be throttle body. Report it to nhtsa.gov. There are a fair number of reported incidents there. Maybe Ford will see the bad PR GM is getting with a dozen people killed and issue a recall or at least a TSB

I have had this problem also on my 2011 Edge. It started at around 34,000 miles. It is intermittent but has happened to me on the Interstate, at stop lights and in intersections. I have almost been hit several times. When I went to the dealer they "couldn't duplicate". It stopped for awhile and then started back up after the warranty ran out.

I have had this problem also on my 2011 Edge. It started at around 34,000 miles. It is intermittent but has happened to me on the Interstate, at stop lights and in intersections. I have almost been hit several times. When I went to the dealer they "couldn't duplicate". It stopped for awhile and then started back up after the warranty ran out.

Many, many others? That's strange - I don't recall seeing anyone here with a similar problem. You need to find another dealer willing to investigate and fix the real problem. Sounds like the first one just didn't want to be bothered.

Have you directly asked the dealership to replace the throttle body? You may have to find a cooperative dealership to get this done. Definitely escalate with Ford directly. Todd is on here repping them, and can help you out.

Worst comes to worst, get a new unit yourself and have it installed. I know it feels like a cop-out, but it IS a question of how safe you feel.

Dealer told me that they thought it was a throttle body but could not change it unless they got approval from Ford (Edge under ESP, about 40,000 miles when it first happened) and without proof, they would just be randomly changing stuff out. I escalated to a regional, and they offered to get me a "flight recorder" put in my car if it happened again, but it hasn't in several months.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you still experiencing these concerns, mtutton? Let me know and I'll look into available options on my end.

Dealer told me that they thought it was a throttle body but could not change it unless they got approval from Ford (Edge under ESP, about 40,000 miles when it first happened) and without proof, they would just be randomly changing stuff out. I escalated to a regional, and they offered to get me a "flight recorder" put in my car if it happened again, but it hasn't in several months.

Glad you've been taken care of. If your concerns return, please let me know.

Todd