Add push start and keyless operation to a 2011 Sel.

I want to add the IA system to my 2011 Edge Sel. Anyone know if this is possible?

Sure. Just find one with IA and trade yours for it.

Seriously though - there are way too many parts (console port for emergencies, door sensors, ignition/steering column, dash w/pushbutton, PCM programming (possibly), not to mention different wiring harnesses, etc.

That would be a HUGE and expensive job if it was even possible.

NO AFTERMARKET, it would have been cheaper to order this option when you bought the Edge. If you need this option you will have to sell or trade it in for a vehicle that has it from the factory. AKIRBY said basically what had to be retrofitted or changed!

Eric, you asked and answered your own question. I've seen the advanced key system and its pretty spectacular. I had left a msg with my friend who installed it after reading your post, and when I returned today I see that you've already found that solution. My friend said that it was easy to install and its been perfect for nearly a year. Please follow up after you decide on a product and have it installed.

Just be aware that the keyless system will go through fob batterys ALOT faster and if there is ever an issue it makes using the car inconvenient to say the least. I had the option to go with one with it and one without. I thought about the time frame i expect to keep it (5-10 years) and decided that 1 less thing to go wrong is the better way to go.

Just be aware that the keyless system will go through fob batterys ALOT faster and if there is ever an issue it makes using the car inconvenient to say the least. I had the option to go with one with it and one without. I thought about the time frame i expect to keep it (5-10 years) and decided that 1 less thing to go wrong is the better way to go.

If changing a button battery is daunting to you.... then I guess I can see your point.

If changing a button battery is daunting to you.... then I guess I can see your point.

Try going out to get in your car at 4am on a monday only to find that your key doesnt work. Its not like people carry a stockpile of 2032 type batterys in the pantry. My harley has a similar key system and its a PITA when the battery dies... especially if your not at home. There is always another way to start the vehicle, but is a gimmick worth the embarrasement and the hastle?

Agreed 100%. Ford knows batteries die so that is the safe option.

And yes if your fob does eat batteries you should have a spare all of the time, I know I do!

On the Edge, when the fob battery goes dead, all you do is insert the fob into its slot in the console, and the vehicle should start without issue.

Edited by nextime

Try going out to get in your car at 4am on a monday only to find that your key doesnt work. Its not like people carry a stockpile of 2032 type batterys in the pantry. My harley has a similar key system and its a PITA when the battery dies... especially if your not at home. There is always another way to start the vehicle, but is a gimmick worth the embarrasement and the hastle?

Stockpile ... really?

I bought 3 button cell batteries from the local 99 cents only store for a whopping..... 99cents.

Took one and taped it to the back inside cover of my Manual in the glovebox. DONE

BTW, I LOVE my Driver's Entry Package. Carrying a sleeping toddler and a laptop bag, it is SOOOO money!

• Like 1

And that's why I want to add it. I thought there was a wheel lock attached to the steering wheel on the 2011 edge but there is not one. That means any of us should be able to add this feature aftermarket with little issues. Well unless the issue is with the aftermarket system.

• 1 month later...

And yes if your fob does eat batteries you should have a spare all of the time, I know I do!

Have looked all over the Edge manual and can find a reference to the fob key slot in the

center console. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2011 Edge Limited AWD

Have looked all over the Edge manual and cannot find a reference to the fob key slot in the

center console. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2011 Edge Limited AWD

Edited by immgar

Open the cover on the console. The slot for the keyless fob is along the front wall of the compartment, just below the audio/usb connections. Don't feel bad, I had a heck of a time finding it. Could not find the specific location documented anywhere.

• 2 months later...

Eric,

I've decided to add the advance key proximity key and push button start to my wife's explorer. She hates digging for her keys when she's walking up to the car with groceries or kids or all the above. Snce my friend has installed and has a dealer agreement with advance key I'll be using that one. If you're interested in how it turns out, I'd be happy to post back here, not sure if you did this already or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Eric,

I've decided to add the advance key proximity key and push button start to my wife's explorer. She hates digging for her keys when she's walking up to the car with groceries or kids or all the above. Snce my friend has installed and has a dealer agreement with advance key I'll be using that one. If you're interested in how it turns out, I'd be happy to post back here, not sure if you did this already or not.

How did this install go? I have a 2012 sport and want to install the AK-104b kit from advanced keys. Thanks

• 2 months later...