Manual shift mode (WHY????)

fishx65

We have almost zero control of the transmission in our older Edge/MKX’s.

When going down steep grades you can turn OD off, this helps VERY LITTLE.

Eventually the transmission will start to downshift.

But by then you’re either going too fast or you’re on the brakes.

NOT good at all in the mountains.

ab

• 4 weeks later...

Drove a new 2011 the other day and was screwing around with the Manual shift mode. Looked like you can only shift through 3 gears (M1,M2 and M3). I don't see a reason to use manual shift. What the heck is it for? Maybe taking off in icy conditions?

You are able to shift through all 6 gears assuming your speed is appropriate, i.e. you can't shift into first at 60mph nor 6th at 20mph.

I also thought I'd never use the manual mode but after driving for a while I have found a couple uses for it, like downshifting on a steep grade or making sure it holds a gear while entering a freeway (instead of having it up-shift too soon). Other than that I don't use it very often.

You are able to shift through all 6 gears assuming your speed is appropriate, i.e. you can't shift into first at 60mph nor 6th at 20mph.

I also thought I'd never use the manual mode but after driving for a while I have found a couple uses for it, like downshifting on a steep grade or making sure it holds a gear while entering a freeway (instead of having it up-shift too soon). Other than that I don't use it very often.

That's what it's made for. It's not designed to be a substitute for a true manual.

Exactly!

The transmission will shift into 6th if you get off the gas with some speed. Bugs the crap out of me, so I throw it in Manual sometimes too.

That's what it's made for. It's not designed to be a substitute for a true manual.

Actually it is, at least according to the salesman that sold me my Edge and Ford's website:

SelectShift allows you to override automatic operation and enjoy the fun-to-drive performance feel of a manual with total control over gear selection.

Having previously owned a couple vehicles with manual transmissions I knew this was just marketing crap, and it obviously doesn't come close to the same experience. However, I was happy I found at least a couple uses for it.

Its certainly not a true manual, but it can be fun at times. Its great to hold gears to keep you in a power range. My beef though is that the Sport only has the paddles. You can't use them when turning!! I'd prefer to have both, if not just on the stick. The paddles are the biggest part of the marketing gimmick. They can be fun, but not always practical.

Its certainly not a true manual, but it can be fun at times. Its great to hold gears to keep you in a power range. My beef though is that the Sport only has the paddles. You can't use them when turning!! I'd prefer to have both, if not just on the stick. The paddles are the biggest part of the marketing gimmick. They can be fun, but not always practical.

It might be difficult, but installing your own paddles would not be impossible (and you could wheel mount them :) )