Are HIDs easy to install?

mnunes77

Trying to decide if I want to get HID's, but I worried they are going to be a pain install...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Actually pretty easy once you take the plunge. The biggest issue is where to mount the ballasts but there are lots of good options.

The other issue is that they look great with any of the newer projector housings but you may not get the results you want if it's a regular reflector housing without some additional re-aiming of the headlights, etc.

Easy if you have a 25 yr neighbor with 8” long fingers with an extra knuckle in each one.

Seriously getting the bulbs in the housing was harder than mounting the ballast.

You will find several good places to mount the ballast then realize the wiring harness is too short.

These are in an 08 MKX with projectors.

ab

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do the HIDs form a solid interface with the existing headlamp on the 2007-2010 edges? I have seen installs on vehicles other than edges which required crudly trimming the stock rubber grommit and the space between the HID bulb and the rubber allowed moisture to enter.

It's pretty easy. You're correct. I had to trim the HID's a little to fit. You will need to drill holes into the covere of the light housing. The hid kit should come with agrommets that will still seal to prevent moisture. I used body molding double stick tape to mount my ballasts. They seem to be holding them pretty solid. But I'm eventually going to mount them properly with screws. Just didn't want to drill any new holes at the time. But definitely worth the mod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The hard part was taking the bumper off. I took out the light housing and mounted the ballast on the side, and I used the mounting bracket to hold it in place. Of course I had halogens and hated the yellow light, but i like it 10X better now that my whole care looks like a moving LED bulb.

• 1 month later...