Sync my ride MFT upgrade avaliable?

How would you feel if somebody did that to your vehicle without your permission though? I just don't think it's fair to the dealer, that's all.

I agree it isn't a nice thing to do but at the same time these same dealers will lie through their teeth and tell you the MFT is the greatest thing ever and that they have never heard of a failure/bug before just to get another sale. Also in the drpeppers defense no one expected it to do anything of damage to the MFT hence Wilsons66604's offer to test it on his vehicle.

• Like 1

I can't believe you did that to the dealer. What if it locked up?

Apparently the VIN is encrypted or stored as binary. At least now we know.

Hey- you guys were curious- I found a way! I CAN'T BELEIVE FORD WILL NOT MAKE IT AVAILABLE TO ALL!!! Some depts want to but they always get out trumped! I can't beleive my phone will not stay connected but my $30 blue tooth ear piece does- but I do NOT blame phone!!!! Sales guy has had 1 year to study up on MFT & frankly should of been embarrased on his lack of knowlege of the system. As stated- my expectation was 1.- it would work or 2 it would not. I did not expect 3 that it would mess up the car. Why would they release it to avg consumer if it could do damage? Right? I agree the tatic was not the nicest- but this case -asking can I try- would be a little far fetched- right? Worst that would happen? Need to pull the fuse ? Come on!!!! The action stinks put pulling the fuse is almost laughable.

So I got lucky & I got the app. I tried to help others but it is not my ROADBLOCK! Push on FORD! I look back 1 yr & $48K less & think if I had gone Lexus 350, cadillac srx, bmw 5, audi q7, would I be typing here about fuse pulls or the backdoor way to get a simple- Did you reboot? As stated before - guess can hope in the future rewrite 1 year 6mths+ after MFT release & -get happy.

Hey- you guys were curious- I found a way! I CAN'T BELEIVE FORD WILL NOT MAKE IT AVAILABLE TO ALL!!! Some depts want to but they always get out trumped! I can't beleive my phone will not stay connected but my $30 blue tooth ear piece does- but I do NOT blame phone!!!! Sales guy has had 1 year to study up on MFT & frankly should of been embarrased on his lack of knowlege of the system. As stated- my expectation was 1.- it would work or 2 it would not. I did not expect 3 that it would mess up the car. Why would they release it to avg consumer if it could do damage? Right? I agree the tatic was not the nicest- but this case -asking can I try- would be a little far fetched- right? Worst that would happen? Need to pull the fuse ? Come on!!!! The action stinks put pulling the fuse is almost laughable.

So I got lucky & I got the app. I tried to help others but it is not my ROADBLOCK! Push on FORD! I look back 1 yr & $48K less & think if I had gone Lexus 350, cadillac srx, bmw 5, audi q7, would I be typing here about fuse pulls or the backdoor way to get a simple- Did you reboot? As stated before - guess can hope in the future rewrite 1 year 6mths+ after MFT release & -get happy.

It is a shame that we have resorted to these drastic measures on our high price new cars.

I hope all car manufacturers can take away some big leanings on this cluster.

Edited by wilsons66604

This was just posted over on blueovalnews.com;

Which brings us right back on topic. The dealer show. Apparantly, according to our business manager, Microsoft re-wrote the MFT software. This is the "total re--write" we've been hearing about. I guess Ford paid big bucks to have them do this. All MFT owners will be getting a flash drive in the mail so they can reprogram it by themselves. If you don't want to, the dealer can do it for you.

He is a MFT user (wife drives an Edge Sport, his demos) and is constantly complaining about it. He witnessed the reflash process and said it takes about 15-20 minutes. A lot shorter than I can do it right now (about 45 minutes if it doesn't hiccup). He tried it after the fact and said it was night and day. He tried a ton of commands right on top of one another and it didn't miss a beat.

My fingers are crossed. I'm really sick of it. All the work I've done for free: explaining things to customers, hard reboots, syncing phones, getting APIM prior approval. This will make my month!

I would like to believe this but I am not sure if I can believe it. I just had an email exchange with someone in tech support at Sync and they didn't mention anything about this. He said my options were either a master reset or take it to the dealer to try to replicate the problem.

I would like to believe this but I am not sure if I can believe it. I just had an email exchange with someone in tech support at Sync and they didn't mention anything about this. He said my options were either a master reset or take it to the dealer to try to replicate the problem.

It's not released yet. This was done at the dealer show.

But if it's working as a prototype then production shouldn't be too far away. I'm thinking around March or April.

Ugh...5-6 months of waiting for a functional MFT :banghead: So frustrating...really am wishing I didn't update to 2.11 since it is far more troublesome on our system. Makes me wonder if they also have hardware variations they are fighting too since peoples experiences vary so much as well.

Ugh...5-6 months of waiting for a functional MFT :banghead: So frustrating...really am wishing I didn't update to 2.11 since it is far more troublesome on our system. Makes me wonder if they also have hardware variations they are fighting too since peoples experiences vary so much as well.

In some cases there have also been hardware problems. If 2.11 is not stable and you've tried a master reset then I would start leaning towards a bad APIM.

In some cases there have also been hardware problems. If 2.11 is not stable and you've tried a master reset then I would start leaning towards a bad APIM.

Yeah that is what the tech suggested at syncmyride but I don't want to do it until this weekend when I can drive the car around and see if it helped. But I guess I still have a two questions maybe people here can answer.

1) When things started getting really bad I pulled fuse 29, nothing changed. But according to the tech this should be the same as a master reset and should have cleared my phone pairing etc. Any thought on why it wouldn't? And I did verify there was no power to touchscreen after pulling so it was the right fuse.

2) If the MFT was OK with 2.7 but terrible with 2.11 could it really be the APIM? Why would updating software cause it to die? Or is it that there is some hardware that isn't properly supported with the new software? Just seems too coincidental that the MFT was slow and had a few hiccups before 2.11 but now has them daily.

It really is incredibly frustrating and distracting when it happens but I guess the silver lining is they keep putting it in more vehicles so I think it is sink or swim for them. And hearing that the completely rewriten software is close makes me feel more at ease. Just glad I didn't buy one of these when they first came out.

Yeah that is what the tech suggested at syncmyride but I don't want to do it until this weekend when I can drive the car around and see if it helped. But I guess I still have a two questions maybe people here can answer.

1) When things started getting really bad I pulled fuse 29, nothing changed. But according to the tech this should be the same as a master reset and should have cleared my phone pairing etc. Any thought on why it wouldn't? And I did verify there was no power to touchscreen after pulling so it was the right fuse.

2) If the MFT was OK with 2.7 but terrible with 2.11 could it really be the APIM? Why would updating software cause it to die? Or is it that there is some hardware that isn't properly supported with the new software? Just seems too coincidental that the MFT was slow and had a few hiccups before 2.11 but now has them daily.

It really is incredibly frustrating and distracting when it happens but I guess the silver lining is they keep putting it in more vehicles so I think it is sink or swim for them. And hearing that the completely rewriten software is close makes me feel more at ease. Just glad I didn't buy one of these when they first came out.

Pulling fuse 29 doesn't lose your pairings - it just reboots the APIM. Master reset dumps all your data.

That's too funny. You should have written it Sync or swim!!

Or perhaps... Sync or Sink!

Well like I said I think they have to make this work at this point, they have already taken a beating on this whole issue. My main concern is if they end up changing the hardware on the upcoming models when they find a problem and that upgrades to the older hardware set will be nill. Honestly I thik the APIM is way under powered. I think I read that it runs on a 400MHz CPU. Not sure how they thought it could ever handle everything they wanted it to. 400MHz is what most portable GPS units have just for NAV. So trying to pull out HVAC controls, voice recognition, mp3 playback, video playback etc is asking too much IMHO. I have to believe they are going to have to increase this processor soon, especially if they do still intend to provide a browser or allow apps to be added.

Well like I said I think they have to make this work at this point, they have already taken a beating on this whole issue. My main concern is if they end up changing the hardware on the upcoming models when they find a problem and that upgrades to the older hardware set will be nill. Honestly I thik the APIM is way under powered. I think I read that it runs on a 400MHz CPU. Not sure how they thought it could ever handle everything they wanted it to. 400MHz is what most portable GPS units have just for NAV. So trying to pull out HVAC controls, voice recognition, mp3 playback, video playback etc is asking too much IMHO. I have to believe they are going to have to increase this processor soon, especially if they do still intend to provide a browser or allow apps to be added.

The 2013 Flex uses the same hardware. It's not changing. Response time seems to be a software issue, specifically with Flash. I don't think the new version uses Flash.

Updated from 2.4 to 2.11. No issues with the update which took less than an hour. When I went to confirm my installation on the Sync site and I received an error message as some people here have noted. Then I saw that my flash drive wasn't mapped (not sure why it couldn't find it again since the download went fine). Rebooted and tried again and success. I found 2.4 to be somewhat stable for me. Hopefully 2.11 is better or at the least not worse.

I ended up with the black screen of Death the other day. Had to disconnect the battery and ground it and it's been working fine since. I'm starting to get fed up with this shit.

i've been there several times. This (debacle with MFT) is a good argument for lease.

It's been a year with this POS called MFT.THe tranny is a joke also. My daughter could shift better when she was learning to drive.

Motor Week recentently gave the Explorer a big NO cuz the "overbearing tech"

I installed the upgrade last Tuesday and it went smoothly. Everything seems to be working fine except one thing. Every time I connect to Sync Services the system will ask me what service I would like then chime for my reply, but before I can reply the system shuts down totally and I get a black screen. Few minutes later the system reboots itself and comes back on. Just seems to be happening when I connect to Sync Services. Shuts down every time. So, I guess this will be my 3rd trip to the dealership to get it fix in less than a year. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Updated from 2.4 to 2.11. No issues with the update which took less than an hour. When I went to confirm my installation on the Sync site and I received an error message as some people here have noted. Then I saw that my flash drive wasn't mapped (not sure why it couldn't find it again since the download went fine). Rebooted and tried again and success. I found 2.4 to be somewhat stable for me. Hopefully 2.11 is better or at the least not worse.

My upgrade to 2.11 also took about 40 minutes. It's been a couple of weeks now since the upgrade. MFT is much more stable, no crashes or lock ups so for. Phone pairing is quicker and more reliable than it was before. I have yet to experience pairing issues with 2.11. With 2.4, I had pairing issues regularly that could only be solved by a master reset.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Ford/MS is finally coming out with a 'fix' for most of the issues, in the new year, which will be sent out to all the owners.

However, if I read it right, it's only for the US. WTH!!! Seems like Canadians are screwed, AGAIN!! This really sucks if we don't receive the

same upgrade. I loved my Edge when I first got it, but take away the traffic, weather, sports info, add sync issues, and other glitches, not to mention

the TOTAL LACK of ANY support and looks like FORD will be going down a lot further then they are now!!! This is the 1st Ford I;ve ever purchased, and might just be the last, but not before

I (and several thousand others) have a say about it!

Wake up FORD!! The net can boost your sales, or seriously HURT them!

Do I need to move to the states or just not buy or recommend FORD!!!????

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-09/ford-to-offer-software-patch-to-fix-malfunctioning-touch-screens.html