Almost afraid to bring my new Edge to the car-wash

I got my Edge last month and today I read the owner's manual about washing/cleaning it and I am almost afraid to let anything other than their Motorcraft products touch anything.

It is the optional Red Candy Metallic paint and I have the vista roof. Realistically, how bad is it to take it through a regular brush car wash? What do I need to worry about? Should I get wax or not? Should I get Wheel-Brite or would that screw up the wheels as the manual seems to suggest? Can I use one of the sprays available to make the tires look wet and shiny?

On the inside, aside from the Motorcraft stuff they push in the manual, what do y'all have good luck with on interior glass and the roof and dash and touch-screen?

Thanks.

First and foremost, DO NOT ever take your Edge through a car wash with brushes. They are absolute DEATH to your paint.

The right hand side of this panel is what it will make your paint look like.

DSC_6834.jpg

And don't even take it to a touchless car wash either unless you can help it. They use very harsh detergents that will strip away any paint protection you have applied.

Take a read through the thread below as it will answer pretty much all of your questions. :)

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/5535-ask-a-professional-detailer/

Cheers and congrats on the purchase. :)

I've had good luck with the type that uses the long strips of cloth moving back and forth. Never had a problem even on a dark red lincoln LS.

Put your paint under a 1000 watt halogen lamp and you will think differently. There is absolutely no way that a touch car wash system will not do your paint harm. Trust me, I see it regularly in my business.

Put your paint under a 1000 watt halogen lamp and you will think differently. There is absolutely no way that a touch car wash system will not do your paint harm. Trust me, I see it regularly in my business.

It's a good thing that I don't drive around with a 1000 watt halogen lamp then. Seriously - if I can't see the damage then I don't care.

• Like 2

If you don't care, that's fine. I am just trying to give some sound advice to the OP and show how bad a touch car wash with brushes can really mess up your paint.

No argument there - I agree that brushes and touchless systems can do serious damage. And I'm sure the one I described can do some damage but I don't think it's enough to be visible to the naked eye unless you're a professional and you know what to look for. So it's a good compromise for most folks.

I go to a place that uses the cloth strips mentioned and it has been fine. I am not convinced hand washing is foolproof. Watch for awhile and you will see someone drop the rag on the ground and wash the car with dirt and rocks on it. When I was a little kid grandpa taught me how to wash a car and rule #1 was if you drop the rag toss it aside and get a clean one. Mechanical washes also clean the underneath and you can't do that in the driveway.

And don't even take it to a touchless car wash either unless you can help it. They use very harsh detergents that will strip away any paint protection you have applied.

I've been told the same. The touchless is good if you want to strip all the protection off when starting new or applying something that requires absolutely 'clean' paint.

I won't let anything or body use anything other than a microfiber towel to dry it by touch.

The sun is a pretty strong 'lamp'... no?

Yep and I've never seen any scratches in my paint in the sun. I'm not saying they aren't there, but they're certainly not visible to the casual observer.

I think the cloth strip type automatic car washes are relatively safe and a reasonable alternative to hand washing for most consumers.

Yep and I've never seen any scratches in my paint in the sun. I'm not saying they aren't there, but they're certainly not visible to the casual observer.

I think the cloth strip type automatic car washes are relatively safe and a reasonable alternative to hand washing for most consumers.

I agree. In April my '08 Limited was at the body shop for a door ding. I asked about the car wash. They said my paint was excellent. The Edge rarely missed a week at the cloth strip car wash.

That's true that it's all in the eye of the beholder. I guess, I observe things at a less casual angle than most. Maybe I can save some money by using a weaker prescription on my contacts :lol:

Edited by cal3thousand

I go to a place that uses the cloth strips mentioned and it has been fine. I am not convinced hand washing is foolproof. Watch for awhile and you will see someone drop the rag on the ground and wash the car with dirt and rocks on it. When I was a little kid grandpa taught me how to wash a car and rule #1 was if you drop the rag toss it aside and get a clean one. Mechanical washes also clean the underneath and you can't do that in the driveway.

Unless you are washing your vehicle inside a bubble, no washing method is 100% fool proof. Having said that, there are certain methods use and certain tools used that will drastically minimize the amount of paint imperfections caused to your paint. Using a touch car wash system that uses cloths dragged over your paint is most definitely not one of them. Why? Because these cloths that are running over your paint are not releasing any dirt whatsoever, and basically dragging it all over your paint surface. If you are happy with these types of car washes that's totally fine, but don't think for a second that they are not hurting your paint.

You are blessed with having a white Edge. It's 10x harder to see paint imperfections on light coloured vehicles with the naked eye. Dark colours are obviously a different story. These types of automatic car washes are not relatively safe whatsoever for your paint. The general public for the most part however doesn't really care as their vehicle is nothing more than transportation from A to B. But since we are in a detailing section, I can't recommend enough that people stay away from them. The picture that I originally posted in this thread was a customer that regularly used a touch car wash. As you can see, it's in pretty bad shape when under a lamp. White vehicles would have the same degree of damage, but it's much more difficult to see unless you have it under a lamp.

Edited by CanuckG35

You are blessed with having a white Edge. It's 10x harder to see paint imperfections on light coloured vehicles with the naked eye. Dark colours are obviously a different story. These types of automatic car washes are not relatively safe whatsoever for your paint.

Did you miss this part?

Never had a problem even on a dark Autumn Red lincoln LS.

I say they're fine. The detailer says they're not. You folks decide for yourself.

Did you miss this part?

I say they're fine. The detailer says they're not. You folks decide for yourself.

I'm not trying to be difficult here. We are in a detailing section here and I want to provide the best possible advice to fellow members. As a detailer, I see a lot of various paint conditions pass my shop, and for various reasons. The absolute number one reason is improper washing habits, with the vast majority being car washes. Like I mentioned earlier, if they satisfy your needs, by all means keep using them. But when someone is looking for advice in a detailing section, I want to provide the best advice possible. There is absolutely no professional on the planet that will endorse the use of any type of touch car wash system. But if you are happy using them, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to be difficult here. We are in a detailing section here and I want to provide the best possible advice to fellow members. As a detailer, I see a lot of various paint conditions pass my shop, and for various reasons. The absolute number one reason is improper washing habits, with the vast majority being car washes. Like I mentioned earlier, if they satisfy your needs, by all means keep using them. But when someone is looking for advice in a detailing section, I want to provide the best advice possible. There is absolutely no professional on the planet that will endorse the use of any type of touch car wash system. But if you are happy using them, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

It's been nearly a year since I took delivery of my black Edge. I've learned a great deal from the pros (Canuck) in this forum and have stayed away from the car washes. I've ben doing it by hand. I've driven my ride through a touch-less wash twice to get the under body cleaned.

The other day, a shopkeeper helped me to the car with merchandise. She was amazed at the shine & sparkle of my car. When I retuned to the shop a few hours later, the shopkeeper made sure her employee went out to look at it!

That is great confirmation that I've been treatin' her right.

Thanks for the pro advice!!

I understand and I respect your opinion. In this case I just think the professionals are erring too much on the side of caution for all but the most anal owners. That's why I didn't discount your advice - I simply gave my differing view based on about 12 years of consistent use with both light and dark cars and the other cars I've seen.

Maybe my particular car wash is really clean or has some different type of technology. Or maybe the professionals are simply lumping all automatic car washes together when in fact they're not all the same. I would probably do the same thing if i was a professional detailer.

First and foremost, DO NOT ever take your Edge through a car wash with brushes. They are absolute DEATH to your paint.

DSC_6834.jpg

Take a read through the thread below as it will answer pretty much all of your questions. :)

Pictures like this sold me on giving a sh** about my car's finish.

My last car looked like the 'before' side. Hell, it looked like that when it was "new"! I didn't know any better.

Some may say I'm "anal". Well, I agree. Seeing the difference has made me "anal" about my car's finish.

EDIT:

Now I know how to buff out that mark from a glancing blow of a falling tree limb or an occasional door ding.

(If I only I could do paintless dent repair. )

Edited by wilsons66604

Another take on it, if you're too lazy to EVER do a wash the proper way... Getting a car wash is still better than leaving splattered bugs and crap stuck to your paint.

Surely, hand washing or touchless are great options- but I think for some arbitrarily large percentage of owners, the edge is much more a utility vehicle than a show vehicle where immaculate paint is necessary/expected.

My 2cents!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. After seeing that pic and after reading that detailing thread, I am even more worried.

• 2 weeks later...

What annoys me more than touch washes is when dealers have their minimum wage kid prep the new cars or wash the cars on the lot. If they don't have their own touchless or contract with a local one you might see them use brushes and rags that they toss on the ground. The cars paint is already ruined before the owner gets it. My car when it gets here will not be prepped at all as I do not want to spend hours correcting their mistakes.