2011 EDGE Limited SONY System

After reading threads about people replacing their car door speakers it made me think of how simple the install would be and how much better it would actually sound.

So today while driving my car I really focused on the sounds coming out of my speakers and I have to say that it sounds good to me.

But if there are people on here that can swear by the superior quality of aftermarket speakers instead of the sony then I am interested to see what brand they used and why it is so much better before I dive into something

with minimal results

• Like 1

After reading threads about people replacing their car door speakers it made me think of how simple the install would be and how much better it would actually sound.

So today while driving my car I really focused on the sounds coming out of my speakers and I have to say that it sounds good to me.

But if there are people on here that can swear by the superior quality of aftermarket speakers instead of the sony then I am interested to see what brand they used and why it is so much better before I dive into something

with minimal results

I haven't had my '11 Limited for long but I don't feel any need to upgrade the factory system. For me, this is unusual. I think the speakers are well matched and carry the load well.

On another note, has anyone noticed that the system sounds best (from the driver's seat) with the fader biased toward the rear about 2 clicks?

I haven't had my '11 Limited for long but I don't feel any need to upgrade the factory system. For me, this is unusual. I think the speakers are well matched and carry the load well.

On another note, has anyone noticed that the system sounds best (from the driver's seat) with the fader biased toward the rear about 2 clicks?

Thats what I was thinking but it is such a inexpensive project that I am wondering about the other people that did it and their experience

I will try that setting next time im in my edge!

I'm sure it could be easily made to sound better, but I don't find it that bad. I'm with you. My last 2 vehicles sounded like crap. This is acceptable. I listen to fairly heavy music which is usually the first to go south in a crappy system due to the extent of the frequencies being used and the amount of distortion and bass. This type of music will mask imperfections in reasonably good speakers, but will immediately amplify issues in junk.

I may still consider upgrading the speakers if enough people say its worth it, but its not worth the effort right now.

Re: the bias 2 clicks back...that's exactly how I have mine set as well. :rockon:

I'll have to try that balance out.

I cant say the factory sony system sounds bad.. but comming from my $20,000 dodge caliber R/T with BA "music gate" system, I definetly noticed the sony system is inferior. Im no audiophile but it seems like its missing something. Almost like listening to music from inside a tin can. Without reference though i have gotten used to it and I cant justify spending the cash to upgrade it.

I cant say the factory sony system sounds bad.. but comming from my $20,000 dodge caliber R/T with BA "music gate" system, I definetly noticed the sony system is inferior. Im no audiophile but it seems like its missing something. Almost like listening to music from inside a tin can. Without reference though i have gotten used to it and I cant justify spending the cash to upgrade it.

Early on, my stereo kept defaulting to DSP vs Stereo. The DSP sound sucks.

Make sure you are set to normal stereo.

I'm not sure if I'd describe it as "...music from inside a tin can", but I think it seems we all agree its good but not great. My reason for not wanted to upgrade the speakers yet is I don't know if the issue is in the system or the speakers. I'm sure its a bit of both, but the system may be the largest factor and even the highest end speakers can't produce the missing frequencies if they don't even get sent to the speaker.

If someone tries it and can say it makes a significant difference, I'll likely be one of the first to jump on that bandwagon.

I haven't looked it up, anyone know what speakers we have? Also, are they still the standard Ford 6x8's. If so, that sucks as it really limits what you can get. In most cases you can do a good 61/2 with a mounting ring, which is what I'd recommend.

If anyone's already done this, please chime in and let us know how it went!

cheers!

The stock system isn't bad a low levels. It's when you turn it above ambient levels that is starts to throttle bass and distort the fronts. THe DSP isn't the best system so it's limited. Adding a JBL MS-8 will change the car completely. Also upgrading the front soundstage with a nice 6.5" component set and center channel with the MS-8 will be a huge improvement. Even more so if you add a JL Stealthbox and a JL HD900/5 to amp everything.

I agree that surround sound is tinny. Stereo mode is better and Sirius is probably not a good measure of quality, the signal is so compressed it can't sound better than "OK". I've played some CD's that sound good through the Sony. Is it a great system? No, but it's pretty darn good. I wouldn't replace the speakers without knowing their dynamic range and sensitivity numbers, does anyone know where to find that level of detail?

It's very easy to get to the front door speakers on the 2011. Maybe pull a speaker and see what it looks and feels like. I would guess that the factory Sony's are junk and big improvements could be made by replacing them. Even a mid-priced set of coaxials installed up front should do wonders for sound quality. I would hope that Ford would not use the same junk speakers I just found in my 2011 SEL in the upgraded Sony system.

The stock system isn't bad a low levels. It's when you turn it above ambient levels that is starts to throttle bass and distort the fronts. THe DSP isn't the best system so it's limited. Adding a JBL MS-8 will change the car completely. Also upgrading the front soundstage with a nice 6.5" component set and center channel with the MS-8 will be a huge improvement. Even more so if you add a JL Stealthbox and a JL HD900/5 to amp everything.

Yes, but all for the dirt cheap price of more then $2000. The MS-8 is $800 alone. Not gonna happen for me. The MS-8 getting great reviews, but I'm not that unhappy with the sound.

This is why I hate integrated systems. You can get great quality decks for cheap that output much better sound then most of the crap "high end" factory stereos. I just don't get it. If it wasn't integrated, I'd just put in my own.

Edited by AXCL

Yes, but all for the dirt cheap price of more then $2000. The MS-8 is $800 alone. Not gonna happen for me. The MS-8 getting great reviews, but I'm not that unhappy with the sound.

This is why I hate integrated systems. You can get great quality decks for cheap that output much better sound then most of the crap "high end" factory stereos. I just don't get it. If it wasn't integrated, I'd just put in my own.

You can get nib MS-8s on some forums for ~$450. JBL transfers warranty to all owners assuming it was originally purchased from an authorised source. The MS-8 alone would really increase the stock system. Add in some time with some CLD tiles and some closed cell foam and there can be some great results.