1 week old 2012 Sport and already having NAV issues.

Another point. Wait for the Nav system to load after starting the engine. Yes, takes close to a minute, but eliminates annoying Nav fault errors and other interesting gremlins. You'll need to watch the MFT display for loading complete message.

Ā 

I started my engine today and immediately drove off. MFT popped a SD card fault because I didn't wait for the Nav system to finish loading.

Another point. Wait for the Nav system to load after starting the engine. Yes, takes close to a minute, but eliminates annoying Nav fault errors and other interesting gremlins. You'll need to watch the MFT display for loading complete message.

Ā 

I started my engine today and immediately drove off. MFT popped a SD card fault because I didn't wait for the Nav system to finish loading.

Ugh this system sucks. Nothing that has been suggested is working. Now my screen is flickering and anything that I touch on the screen takes forever to respond. Not happy with MFT so far.

I would agree...the nav system is not the best. Besides the nav card fault messages we have had it lock up, luckily I already knew where I was. But overall I think this nav unit puts takes too much processor power. Before buying the car I did as many suggested here and that was to play around with the MFT to make sure it seemed OK. I did this for over 30 minutes, pissing off the salesman in the process, and it worked fine. Once the card was inserted it slowed significantly. I think the other sign that things are slowed by the nav is that it is always lagging your actual position on the map. Mine is off by at least 50 feet which has made it difficult at times to pick the right exit at busy interchanges.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Excellent point, The only reboots we've had is when we didn't let it finish loading before heading out into reverse from the garage. (Takes 30 secs maybe after startup, minute tops)

• 2 weeks later...

It's a junk Nav system that reboots or worse freezes when your drivingā€¦meanwhile you miss your exit. Did it to me twice this weekend while traveling. It's been this way since I bought the car (2011 Edge) and has been wiped and reloaded THREE times by the dealer and connected to Ford and STILL it has issues. Of course when it does this it wipes out all your setting, previous destinations, and addresses.

Ā 

My 2007 Shelby has NO issues with it's old and not so pretty Navā€¦but it works!

It's a junk Nav system that reboots or worse freezes when your drivingā€¦meanwhile you miss your exit. Did it to me twice this weekend while traveling. It's been this way since I bought the car (2011 Edge) and has been wiped and reloaded THREE times by the dealer and connected to Ford and STILL it has issues. Of course when it does this it wipes out all your setting, previous destinations, and addresses.

Ā 

My 2007 Shelby has NO issues with it's old and not so pretty Navā€¦but it works!

Do you know what version of Touch you have? (This can be found on your SyncMyRide.com site)

It sounds like your service center is doing a master reset from the Touch menu. This option does blows away your data and not much else.

Ā 

Make sure your system is updated to v2.11 (You can upgrade this yourself if you have a PC and usb stick)

I have a USB stick that I keep in my car that has a reboot program on it (see this thread) When my system starts going 'stupid', I force it to reboot. This clear's it's head without losing your data.

I've had 3 major upgrades, 1.8,2.7 and 2.11. By far 1.8 was the best for the nav. Since 2.7 i have had i take up to 5 minutes for it to figure out where the hell it is (funnily i cannot change channel with the seek button on the wheel also). Its getting quite bad now, have to do either master reset or fuse 29 almost every week. Yesterday i had to pull the fuse because i had this stupid box in the middle of the screen which would not let it search or drive to destination properly. In the process of pulling the fuse it popped out and i lost it, major headache and $10 from ford for a replacement!!!

I've had 3 major upgrades, 1.8,2.7 and 2.11. By far 1.8 was the best for the nav. Since 2.7 i have had i take up to 5 minutes for it to figure out where the hell it is (funnily i cannot change channel with the seek button on the wheel also). Its getting quite bad now, have to do either master reset or fuse 29 almost every week. Yesterday i had to pull the fuse because i had this stupid box in the middle of the screen which would not let it search or drive to destination properly. In the process of pulling the fuse it popped out and i lost it, major headache and $10 from ford for a replacement!!!

Ā 

Why Ford? Aren't they regular mini-ATM fuses?

I know I posted this reply under another thread, too, but I've had my Edge since late last year, 3 version updates of MFT and a new APIM, on 2.11 and still problems. Went to a lemon lawyer and I have received an offer from Ford, but it is too low. Will keep you posted.

Keep your documentation of service visits and get problems on video/still photos if possible

Do you know what version of Touch you have? (This can be found on your SyncMyRide.com site)

It sounds like your service center is doing a master reset from the Touch menu. This option does blows away your data and not much else.

Ā 

Make sure your system is updated to v2.11 (You can upgrade this yourself if you have a PC and usb stick)

I have a USB stick that I keep in my car that has a reboot program on it (see this thread) When my system starts going 'stupid', I force it to reboot. This clear's it's head without losing your data.

Ā 

Here is what I have:

Ā 

SYNC Version Gen2 - V2.8

BT4T-14D546-AM

BT4T-14D546-FA

BT4T-14D546-GA

SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F496-AP

SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F497-AM

SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F500-BE

BT4T-14F603-AM

Ā 

While I REALLY appreciate the advice the last time the dealer tried to do an "update" the car lost all Navigation and took 6 days in the shop and Ford's intervention to get it working again so I think I'll pass. I can just see the same thing happening and you can be sure I'll be blamed for doing it wrong and for sure won't get a rental car while my new car sits in a shop bay with a laptop connected to it.

Ā 

The REAL issue here is the system has serious bugs and performance issues yet Ford STILL runs around on TV promoting it, just saw a Ford Fusion Hybrid commercial where they specifically rave about Sync and Nav, when they know full well it's problematic at best! I'm tired of being the sucker to the tune of $3000 that has to carry around my iPhone running Tom Tom because I have no idea when it will just freeze and I'm miles off track because I'm paying attention to the road and not looking down every 5 min.

I know I posted this reply under another thread, too, but I've had my Edge since late last year, 3 version updates of MFT and a new APIM, on 2.11 and still problems. Went to a lemon lawyer and I have received an offer from Ford, but it is too low. Will keep you posted.

Keep your documentation of service visits and get problems on video/still photos if possible

Ā 

Keep us updatedā€¦I may not be too far behind youā€¦I can't express my complete frustration with this system and Ford's arrogance in promoting it the way they do.

Ā 

The product manager should be shown the door.

Here is what I have:

Ā 

SYNC Version Gen2 - V2.8

BT4T-14D546-AM

BT4T-14D546-FA

BT4T-14D546-GA

SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F496-AP

SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F497-AM

SYNC compatible software BT4T-14F500-BE

BT4T-14F603-AM

Ā 

While I REALLY appreciate the advice the last time the dealer tried to do an "update" the car lost all Navigation and took 6 days in the shop and Ford's intervention to get it working again so I think I'll pass. I can just see the same thing happening and you can be sure I'll be blamed for doing it wrong and for sure won't get a rental car while my new car sits in a shop bay with a laptop connected to it.

Ā 

The REAL issue here is the system has serious bugs and performance issues yet Ford STILL runs around on TV promoting it, just saw a Ford Fusion Hybrid commercial where they specifically rave about Sync and Nav, when they know full well it's problematic at best! I'm tired of being the sucker to the tune of $3000 that has to carry around my iPhone running Tom Tom because I have no idea when it will just freeze and I'm miles off track because I'm paying attention to the road and not looking down every 5 min.

I hear you and can really relate!

Ā 

Ā 

Does SyncMyRide tell you that you have an upgrade available? Grab a USB drive and download the 2.11 upgrade and install it. The self install is streamlined and it bypasses the moron at your dealership that screwed your system up before.

If you aren't willing to keep your software updated then you really can't complain.

Ā 

It's been mentioned on these forums that a major update is coming in a few months. You will receive a USB drive in the mail. Get used to software updates.

Let's hope it lives up to the Ads we've been seeing for the past year and a half.

Edited by wilsons66604

• 1 month later...

I have a 2011 Edge Sport and we are currently having issues with our nav and sync system. Took it in today because it was constantly locking up and nav not working at all. Picked it up this evening and the nav faults came back on the way home.

Under the dealers direction, I loaded the update from home previous to this issue. My dealer told me that they did a hard drive update and it was working fine.

I now have another appt at the dealer for Monday.

Ā 

P.S.- When Im having the serious issues, the SAT radio will show a different station than its really on, it constantly does maintenance, and the Nav wont work. We have also noticed black screens and the reverse camera stuck on while driving forward.

Hey folks, I share your frustration with the system and I think some of you are new(er) to the boards so to recap some of the work arounds you can try:

Ā 

1. Update to 2.11 (go to syncmyride.com);

2. If you have a nav issue, shut the car down, pull card and inspect for debris, reinsert and restart. The nav system typically takes about a minute to boot up;

3. If you have a SAT radio station display issue, I think 2.11 should addresses this issue;

4. As a last resort, you can force the system to reboot by pulling out and reinserting Fuse 29 in the fuse box next to your left foot in the driver's well (you can also pull and reinsert the main bus power supply at the top of the box. If you pull the fuse, use tweezers or something similar.

Ā 

Ford is said to be working on a ground up rewrite of the software according to one mod on these boards. It is supposed to be shipped via a USB stick in the mail the first quarter of 2012. Suffice to say, what's happened to date is one of the worst implementations of a new "feature" in any car line I can recall.

Ā 

Feel free to vent, ask questions concerning specific issues and if you find new/different solutions, please post them all up for each other.

Ā 

Hang in there.

Just to reiterate the above, the key to decreasing faults is to let the NAV load before putting the car into any gear after startup. You know it's loaded when the home screen up right corner shows your current location instead of "Loading". Remote start would indeed help as it just needs to power up when the vehicle powers but if the car shuts off when you enter during remote start and restarts you'd need to let it load again. Make sure it shows your location before putting it into any gear and at least in our case we haven't have any errors that way. (Lots when we didn't wait long enough)