Towing weight

I am clueless on this towing stuff. I have a SEL AWD without the towing package. I will be putting on a hitch and I want to tow a camper. I am trying to find the Maximum weight of the camper I can get. I looked in the book and it says only 2000 lbs? Well, nothing weighs only 2000 lbs, that I want to get. Am I reading the book right?

I am clueless on this towing stuff. I have a SEL AWD without the towing package. I will be putting on a hitch and I want to tow a camper. I am trying to find the Maximum weight of the camper I can get. I looked in the book and it says only 2000 lbs? Well, nothing weighs only 2000 lbs, that I want to get. Am I reading the book right?

I got the optional towing package on my Edge which brings the weight up to 3500 lbs you have to remember the Edge is a Car not a Truck based vehicle so we are not going to be able to tow 10,000 lbs with the Edge. Call up the Ford dealer and ask them if you have a towing hitch installed what the max towing weight will be I'm guessing it will be 3,500 lbs

I got the optional towing package on my Edge which brings the weight up to 3500 lbs you have to remember the Edge is a Car not a Truck based vehicle so we are not going to be able to tow 10,000 lbs with the Edge. Call up the Ford dealer and ask them if you have a towing hitch installed what the max towing weight will be I'm guessing it will be 3,500 lbs

I'm sure a properly installed class III hitch would get you to 3500 lbs but I would add a tranny cooler for sure. The tranny would be the weak link towing something that heavy. You should also make sure there is no difference in the rear axle ratio with and without the towing package. Probably not.

A bit of RTFM and I cam up with Page 206 from this link --->>> Online Edge Owners Manual

2000lbs max for a Class 1 hitch with 200lbs tongue weight max

3500lbs max for a Class 2 hitch with 3500lbs tongue weight max.

With that said, 8400lbs is the GCWR... that means that your Edge, your trailer, your passengers and anything in the vehicle/trailer combined should not be over 8400lbs.

Bryce

A bit of RTFM and I cam up with Page 206 from this link --->>> Online Edge Owners Manual

2000lbs max for a Class 1 hitch with 200lbs tongue weight max

3500lbs max for a Class 2 hitch with 3500lbs tongue weight max.

With that said, 8400lbs is the GCWR... that means that your Edge, your trailer, your passengers and anything in the vehicle/trailer combined should not be over 8400lbs.

Bryce

Not a whole heck of alot left for your trailer figuring 4100 lbs for the vehicle itself plus people, cargo, and the weight of the trailer itself.

I have been looking for the weight of the car. Thanks. I really dont have much cargo, it is just me and my dog for weekends, we go to agility events. If The total weight is over 8000 lbs, then I can find a camper around 3000 lbs? I went to look at campers yesterday and the only things under 2000 were tiny tiny little pop-ups. I sure would like to find something bigger than a closet.

Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to get anything much bigger than a pop up trailer. You are towing with basically nothing more than a car. You probably could excede the total weight, but it is obviously not recomended especially if there are lots of hills. It strains the brakes and transmission even more trying to stop and pull more weight on hills. Plus a larger trailer can push the tow vehicle if stopping real hard or skidding. Lots of people without knowing overload their vehicles all the time and have nothing happen, but you actually caring about doing it right would be the one to have something go wrong.

Even with the towing package, the Edge can really only tow a small cargo type trailer or jetski or such. The pop-up is about your limit on that one.

We are thnking of going the other route and towing the Edge with a Class A - certainly not a trailer like a 5th wheel or TT, but you need a truck based SUV to tow such a thing.

I can't say about campers or travel trailers but my Edge has pulled my 3000# bass boat from Kentucky through the Finger Lake region of New York and has done a great job so far. I've logged about 1300mi on this trip so far and the average mileage when pulling has averaged a consistent 16mpg. The previous tow vehicle was an 05 F150 with a 5.4 and trailer towing package. What a difference in gas mileage while pulling.

My boat trailer does have surge brakes which makes quite a difference in stopping ability and I have the factory trailer towing package installed on the Edge.

So far, I couldn't be happier

I just towed my tent-trailer 1,000+ miles over the fourth of July. Averaged 15 miles per gallon and some of the trip was in hilly conditions (I hesitate to say mountains in the Black Hills but....). No complaints on either the camper or the tow vehicle. It is a nice camper if you are looking to enter the field. Sleeps 8 so most definitely much bigger than a closet.....

model_floorplans_pic_562.jpg

Unloaded wieght? 1,555 LBS Well within the recommended range.

Edited by DJ Starr

I just towed my tent-trailer 1,000+ miles over the fourth of July. Averaged 15 miles per gallon and some of the trip was in hilly conditions (I hesitate to say mountains in the Black Hills but....). No complaints on either the camper or the tow vehicle. It is a nice camper if you are looking to enter the field. Sleeps 8 so most definitely much bigger than a closet.....

model_floorplans_pic_562.jpg

Unloaded wieght? 1,555 LBS Well within the recommended range.

Those pop-ups are nice, but I really want all the goodies with it, shower, A/C etc. I am probalby just going to have to use my husband F-150. But his truck doesnt have all the goodies my Edge does.

Those pop-ups are nice, but I really want all the goodies with it, shower, A/C etc. I am probalby just going to have to use my husband F-150. But his truck doesnt have all the goodies my Edge does.

We do have A/C but indeed the private bath would be nice, that's about all I would like, but then you have to deal with grey water too.... and they seem to be over twice as expensive.

Edited by DJ Starr

We do have A/C but indeed the private bath would be nice, that's about all I would like, but then you have to deal with grey water too.... and they seem to be over twice as expensive.

Its a tough trade off Janis. You could sacrifice taking the Edge and opt for the bigger trailer, or you could use your Edge and find nice campgrounds. My parents are semi-retired and travel with a big 40ft motorhome and actually search out nice campgrounds with nice amenities so they don't have to use the ones in the RV. Mostly restrooms and showers. That tent trailer looks perfect to tow for the Edge. Find a nice clean campground and you have everything you need. I'm sure with your agility events, you have plenty of time to research some places to stay in advanced.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Trailmanors are very nice but a bit pricey for what you get. Some of the newer high side pop-ups have microwaves and bathrooms in them. they weigh less than 3000 pounds and can include air conditioning as well as a furnace. Many also have hydraulic or electric mechanical lifts so you don't have to crank them up.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a Ford Escape when I was stationed in Alaska. I bought an air matress with built in air pump and 12v adapter. I think it was a full size, it fit perfect width wise and had to 'L' it to fit length wise, so it made an air matress bed and headboard. Then I put velcro tape around the rear windows and made screens to fit, attaching the other side of the velcro around the screens. My friends thought it was dumb until they're setting up tents in the dark and I just climb in and crash. Crack the windows for fresh air while keeping out the bugs.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I have a 2008 Ford Edge with a factory installed towing package. My son and his wife are big into camping and have been trying to get me and my wife into it for years. I have been looking at various camper options for the Edge's 3500 pound weight limitation, and I found a couple of real interesting options.

The Trail-Lite Crossover TLX-210QB is a 21' enclosed camper with a shower and kitchen. It sleeps four and has a dry weight of 2847 pounds and an axle weight of 2566 pounds.

This seems to be a pretty good option for Edge users who want to tow something other than a pop-up. I am thinking about changing out the class II hitch and install a class III hitch with weight distribution and sway control plus break control.

Does anyone see any issues with this setup?

Thanks!

:rockon:

I have a 2008 Ford Edge with a factory installed towing package. My son and his wife are big into camping and have been trying to get me and my wife into it for years. I have been looking at various camper options for the Edge's 3500 pound weight limitation, and I found a couple of real interesting options.

The Trail-Lite Crossover TLX-210QB is a 21' enclosed camper with a shower and kitchen. It sleeps four and has a dry weight of 2847 pounds and an axle weight of 2566 pounds.

This seems to be a pretty good option for Edge users who want to tow something other than a pop-up. I am thinking about changing out the class II hitch and install a class III hitch with weight distribution and sway control plus break control.

Thanks!

I think you may be pushing it. You need to take into account the frontal area. This is the front of the camper that offers wind resistance. Also some campers do not include the battery and AC in their dry weight. Your STUFF!!,and propane,water add too. I do not carry water in my unit. You only have 350lb hitch weight on your Edge so you are going to be very close if not over. I have a Fleetwood Sunvalley with sway unit and brake controller. When loaded it has about 250lb hitch weight and gets around 18-19 MPG. Tows like a dream. The sway unit and brake controller is a must. I have pushed limits on TV/trailer combos before and it really was not much fun to drive.

:rockon:

I think you may be pushing it. You need to take into account the frontal area. This is the front of the camper that offers wind resistance. Also some campers do not include the battery and AC in their dry weight. Your STUFF!!,and propane,water add too. I do not carry water in my unit. You only have 350lb hitch weight on your Edge so you are going to be very close if not over. I have a Fleetwood Sunvalley with sway unit and brake controller. When loaded it has about 250lb hitch weight and gets around 18-19 MPG. Tows like a dream. The sway unit and brake controller is a must. I have pushed limits on TV/trailer combos before and it really was not much fun to drive.

Thanks for your input. I knew that it would be close by starting at 2800 dry. My wife and I will be the only ones traveling, so we might not have as much stuff as a larger family would. But I bet it adds up!

What difference does it make as to putting the stuff in the Edge vs the trailer? Does the total car and trailer weight come into play as well?

I have attached a picture of the camper.

What is the dry weight for your Fleetwood?

Thanks!

post-4007-1234838901_thumb.jpg

quote name='Papa' post='24947' date='Feb 16 2009, 09:49 PM']Thanks for your input. I knew that it would be close by starting at 2800 dry. My wife and I will be the only ones traveling, so we might not have as much stuff as a larger family would. But I bet it adds up!

What difference does it make as to putting the stuff in the Edge vs the trailer? Does the total car and trailer weight come into play as well?

I have attached a picture of the camper.

What is the dry weight for your Fleetwood?

Thanks!

This should help. WE have the Sunvalley with AC,Furn,& hotwater heater. About 2500-2600Lbs Loaded. Bryce noted earlier that the total weight was 8400Lbs

Works for me.FleetwoodFoldingCampingTrailersBrochure2008.pdf :happy feet:post-3828-1235225284_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mountain Tripper

Thanks!

I have a 2007 Edge with the factory trailer tow package. I tow a 16' Airstream Caravel (1965). The Airstream factory lists the weight of this trailer at 2200#, but I think that's optimistic. I added a couple hundred lbs when I restored it, and my guess is I'm closer to 2800#. I have had a problem towing when the temperature is over 80deg and i'm driving at 50-55mph. The air conditioning compressor shuts off. When I slow down, it comes back on. I am a Ford retiree, and I have talked to the trailer tow engineers at Ford about this problem. It would appear that the vehicle is sensing an out of spec condition (trans or engine oil temp or coolant temp?) and is turning off the compressor to lessen the load on the engine. The dealer says no problem with the AC and no engine codes. The engineer at Ford suggests that I am towing a trailer with too large a frontal area, which adds aerodynamic drag at highway speeds. So, I would suggest that you proceed with caution. It's too bad. I love the Edge, and it seems to tow the trailer effortlessly. I wonder if I have a sensor that is out of calibration that could be causing the AC to cut out prematurely, but I have no easy way to check this out. Oh well, it's a lease, so I guess I'll just have to get something else.

As for switching out the hitch, if you have the factory hitch, it is welded to the bumper beam. You would have to cut it off or replace the beam with a non-trailer tow beam.

• 6 months later...
Those pop-ups are nice, but I really want all the goodies with it, shower, A/C etc. I am probably just going to have to use my husband F-150. But his truck doesn't have all the goodies my Edge does.

I have the same problem (wanting a nice big trailer with all the features to be pulled by my Edge) however that said there are a couple of hybrid travel trailers that just fit under the 3500lbs:

* Kodiak Expandable 160 - 2862 lbs

*Starcraft Sport Expandable 175RK - 3500lbs

You will not find many travel trailers hybrid or normal over 17 feet long that will be under the towing capacity.