Hissing noise when AC is on and I'm turning left?

Ghastly

Okay all, here's a good one for you.

Whenever I turn left, I hear a hissing noise like an aerosol can being sprayed coming from behind the glove box. It also sonds a bit like there is liquid sloshing around, but nowhere in the passenger seat can I find any moisture. This ONLY happens when the AC is on and I turn left.

When the AC is on and I turn right? Nothing.

When the AC is off and I turn left or right? Nothing.

The AC is still cooling as well as it did before this started . . .

I'm stumped!

• 1 year later...

Yes My 2007 is at the dealer right now. The tube that lets condensation from the AC(that drip under the car when the AC

is on) is blocked. Thats the water you hear sloshing. In my case the water did some damage to a sensor or something and its

going to cost $500 to repair.

I have gap insurance(CNA) thru my local dealer but they refuse to pay for any WATER DAMAGE due to any blockage. They

say its in the contract. Needless to say its the last time I get an extended warrenty.

I think everyone should check this tube or have it checked every summer. Its just not something you think about, until its

too late.

I'm confused... GAP insurance and extended warranty are two completely different things. GAP insurance covers the difference between the value of the vehicle if it gets totaled and the outstanding loan amount. Extended warranty is just that - a repair warranty for mechanical problems.

Most warranties don't cover things like water damage (just as home insurance doesn't cover flood damage) but they are really reaching by using that as an excuse in this case. Your problem really isn't any different than if you had a windshield leak (a warrantied repair) that caused water damage to the radio - any damage resulting from an item covered under warranty should also be covered. Unless they're saying that the drain tube blockage was not covered because it was a maintenance item?

• 2 years later...

Gap coverage was the wrong term. Its a extended warranty. They did say it was a maintenance item. Of course they are reaching

for an excuse. Thats how they make money. No matter how much I stated my case, no dice. They know they wont be sued over $500.

Ask them to show you where it's stated to be a "maintenance" item. In no manual I've read is this drain listed as something that should be checked. Drains on the underside of each door, yes, but not this drain. And if it "is" a maintenance item, why didn't they check it during the periodic maintenance visit?

• Like 1

FWIW. I had this same issue. Took the vehicle to a local garage (not the dealer), who cleared the line and charged $35. I live in Virginia, where the humidity is rather high at times. With the A/C at full tilt, it took three days to clog again and the sloshing sound returned. It's not a tough fix at all. The tube crosses from the passenger side of the car, to the drivers side of the transmission tunnel.

You can absolutely do this yourself. You'll need an empty medium size mixing bowl, a container with a cup or two of warm water with a little bleach in it, and a turkey baster (hello dollar store)...

It's been a while since I've needed to perform this task and am giving it to you from memory, but this should cover the main points.

The center console of my 2007 Edge has removable lower panels, YMMV.

• Remove the lower panel on the driver side of the center console. This should reveal the rubber hose/plastic elbow that allows the condensation to drain from the vehicle. You may need to pull the carpeting back just a touch to reveal it. It'll be pretty obvious.
  • Grab your empty mixing bowl to catch the water. Pinch the rubber hose and remove it from the plastic elbow at the floor. It should just slip off as there's no pressure or vacuum in the line. Over the bowl, allow the water to drain from the system.
  • Fill your turkey baster with as much of your weak bleach solution as it will hold. I mean, fill the bulb and tube with as much as you can. Press the nozzle of the baster into the end of the rubber hose and carefully push your disinfectant/deodorizer back through the line. Squeeze the bulb of the baster several times, gently pushing the disinfectant in and sucking it out of the hose and system. This not only helps to eliminate awful odors, but dislodge debris in the line.
  • Grab your drain bowl one last time and pinch the hose as close to the baster as you can. Drain everything into the bowl and discard. You'll likely see flecks of gunk in the water.
  • Reconnect the drain hose to the plastic elbow (else your driver side floor will fill with water), and reassemble.
Edited by dennisflysfast
  • Like 1

<p>

You can absolutely do this yourself. You'll need an empty medium size mixing bowl, a container with a cup or two of warm water with a little bleach in it, and a turkey baster (hello dollar store)...

[*]Grab your empty mixing bowl to catch the water. Pinch the rubber hose and remove it from the plastic elbow at the floor. It should just slip off as there's no pressure or vacuum in the line. Over the bowl, allow the water to drain from the system.

This work well. The foam tends to get into all the nooks and crannies. (And we all know how hard it is to keep one"s crannies clean).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007PHD0S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463008208&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Lubegard+heater+core

And here's a youtube video on how to use:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi22mdXj3wM

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well, I just fixed it, thanks to this thread. I bought a can of compressed air, like you'd use to clean a keyboard. Stuck the straw from the can into the hose, pinched the hose, and with one squirt cleared the blockage. I used the ice bucket from my hotel room to catch the water. It filled the whole thing and more.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

This post along with a video I found helped me out a ton with this issue. Hoping it's gone for good, or atleast for now and if it happens again I'm gonna do the exact same thing.

Had the same issue, sloshing sound from my passenger side, that weird hissing noise ONLY when I turned left with my AC on from my passenger side. I first thought something was hitting against my tire as I turned. Thankfully found this thread when I googled it.

Used a can of compressed air from Walgreens 

Got to the hose, removed it from the nipple, blew air down the white nipple peice and nothing came out from under my car, then blew air up the black hose. Got a few drops, blew some more air and then the water started coming out like a faucet.

Got about half a gallon of black water out of there, maybe a bit more. Had little debris in it, a couple little pieces of leaf twigs. Sprayed more air and nothing came out.

Hoping this is fixed, especially that hissing sound when I turn left. If it's still there imma guess I'll need a new fan motor or something that I can't do myself :((not a mechanic) but hopefully that's the end of it.

Going to place a new cabin air filter in aswell. Haven't updated that since I got the car December 2018(2011 Ford edge Limited)

Seriously though, really appreciate this thread. Guarantee a mechanic would've easily charged me $100 to do this.

IMG_20200530_121313789.jpg

IMG_20200530_121322329_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

The hissing noise was probably the water in the system hitting the fan and spraying.  It should be gone.  Next tie I would try using vacuum to pull the water out of the system.  The dirt that was blocking the drain is probably still inside.  Keep an eye on drainage from the system.