Major Upgrade (Rewrite) Details

Ok - you want a sandbox where you can bitch and gripe with each other? Do it here and I'll stay out of it.

I'll start another thread for the people who just want reliable information without having to listen to all of the crap.

But like I said above - feel free to vent, bitch, gripe, moan and groan about what Ford is or isn't doing and I'll stay out of it. Just keep it in this thread please.

So discuss, vent, gripe - whatever makes you feel better.

Keep venting if it makes you feel better.

You implied it. Now drop it. Further posts will be deleted. I'm tired of arguing with you.

• Like 1

The topic is MFT. Future comments not related to MFT and the upgrade will be deleted without comment. This is not up for debate.

Back to MFT, mine is acting up like a lil MFT (think up some new letters). It would say phone is connected when I don't have one within earshot let alone within BT range.

Can't wait for the update. wink.gif

edited for spelling

Edited by cal3thousand

I had my iphone connected to my stereo in the garage the other day and my wife took my MKX to do an errand and all of a sudden my iphone stopped broadcasting and I was like "WTF?" and then I realized it had sync'd and had cut out. It was doing what it was supposed to, LOL.

reviewed MFT video on youtube

I've lost all faith in Cnet's Brian Cooley. He just regurgitated Ford's press release from 3 months ago. No news at all.

I'd like to see a review from an owner that has had a chance to USE it in real life.

I did notice that the swap between MFT functions (Nav, Phone, Audio, Climate) seemed slow.

Seemed perfectly fine to me. How much faster does it have to be?

Seems the same speed to me except that they faded the onscreen elements to give your eye something to "work on" while the screen fully came up. iOS did this really well to improve the UX while switching between aspects with animations.

So instead of a (relatively) long blank pause, the screen seems to have a quicker reaction to your input.

EDIT: I'm eager to see the "warm" memory in action as that seems to have a huge impact on start up lag.

Edited by cal3thousand

None of the other gadgets I have have to 'pause' and think about switching to the next screen.

Response time may seem better than the current version but it's still not up to par with modern gadgets.

I can live with it if the bugs are fixed.

How about comparing it to other in-vehicle systems (like previous nav touch screens) instead of comparing it to smart phones and tablets? A smart phone or tablet doesn't have to survive 10+ years including weather extremes.

None of the other gadgets I have have to 'pause' and think about switching to the next screen.

Response time may seem better than the current version but it's still not up to par with modern gadgets.

I can live with it if the bugs are fixed.

FMT hardware was outdated before it came out. The smartphones that they give away for free have far superior hardware than My Touch. Even the sub $200 tablets have better hardware than my touch, not to mention much better software. Think about that. Ford is charging thousands of dollars for a system with much worse hardware and software than a sub $200 tablet. If this hardware was in my phone I would have upgraded 3 years ago, and yet they expect people buying it now to be content with it for decades to come.

It is still a 1000x better then what onstar offers, which is the only reason I switched from chevy to ford. I am happy having a system that can do everything onstar does with my phone for no extra charge. So any update to make things more functional is worth waiting for. So far MFT has had more support then my phone does in the way of updates. But they should just opensource it so we can have a user supported system. I would love someone to figure out how to put android on it. Ice cream sandwich on my car? Awesome.

• Like 1

FMT hardware was outdated before it came out. The smartphones that they give away for free have far superior hardware than My Touch. Even the sub $200 tablets have better hardware than my touch, not to mention much better software. Think about that. Ford is charging thousands of dollars for a system with much worse hardware and software than a sub $200 tablet. If this hardware was in my phone I would have upgraded 3 years ago, and yet they expect people buying it now to be content with it for decades to come.

Would your ipad survive for 10-15 years in temperature extremes from 120+ down to -50 while being subjected to washboard roads and other shocks?

You can't just take something designed for home use and put it in a car.

Would your ipad survive for 10-15 years in temperature extremes from 120+ down to -50 while being subjected to washboard roads and other shocks?

Because it has to tolerate extremes it's OK that it's slow??

That doesn't make sense.

It's still appears slow. I'm not comparing it to other in car systems. I'm comparing it to other systems that I use every day.

You can argue all you want but I know what i feel.

Because it has to tolerate extremes it's OK that it's slow??

That doesn't make sense.

It's still appears slow. I'm not comparing it to other in car systems. I'm comparing it to other systems that I use every day.

You can argue all you want but I know what i feel.

I think it fair that MFT be compared to other automaker systems. What do they use that's different or are they very similar? Cadillac and Chrysler have some very nice systems out or coming out but I haven't heard how well they actually preform

• Like 1

But they should just opensource it so we can have a user supported system. I would love someone to figure out how to put android on it. Ice cream sandwich on my car? Awesome.

Android would be amazing, but ford can't charge $800 for navigation that other companies give away for free so they would never do it. Ford couldn't care less what their customers want.

Only outdated hardware can survive extreme weather? Where did you come up with that? I don't know how cheap tablets hold up in extreme weather, but I wouldn't need it to survive 10-15 years. I would much rather have a cheap tablet that I could replace every few years. New hardware (even the cheap stuff) and new software is far better than outdated hardware and crap software. And replacing it every few years would still cost far less than Ford is charging for this garbage. In 10-15 years MFT is going to look like a rotary phone.

That reminds me of another argument I've seen here. The screen has to be an unresponsive resistive touchscreen so people can use it with gloves. And yet the permanent climate controls are touch that don't work with gloves. Maybe that should be the other way around. A good quality touchscreen that people in cold weather can't use a few months a year until their car warms up enough to take their gloves off (or heaven forbid they could take one glove off) and climate controls that you can use with gloves and actually feel when you press it. There is no way anyone at Ford thought about those controls at all because they were an obviously terrible idea.