Edge Rolls into Street when in PARK and engine off.

misterbig6972

New issue for me on the edge.

Pulled in the driveway, put the Edge in park, shut if off and went in the house. Came out 5 min later and found the car in the street. Now i have the emergency brake on everytime its in park. its been at the dealer for 2 days. No fix as of yet.

Driveway has a very small incline maybe 2 inches over 15 feet.

this is very scary.

m

That's why they call it a Parking brake and that's why you should always use it. That said, did the shifter jump out of Park? I assume it was in Park because you removed the key? Or was this a keyless system? If it was keyless are you sure you left it in Park?

yes you are correct that is why they call it a parking brake and normally I would use it on steep slopes. 2 inches over 15 feet should not have been an issue. it is keyless and i can guarantee it was in park because that was the first thing that i checked when i opened the door. Majority of folks in automatics do not use the parking brake everytime they park.

m

What year is your edge?

I have a driveway (which I park on only occasionally when the garage is full) and it has a RIDICULOUS slope compared to most, this would be a major issue for me as it'd probably end up in the neighbors yard....

2011 limited. this is why i am advising this as it is very dangerous. and this is why my transmission is all torn in pieces at the dealership. We have not been using the brake all the time, only on slopes. Going forward we will, but still scary to imagine if it rolled back onto a kid or into an on coming car.

m

Edited by misterbig6972

yes you are correct that is why they call it a parking brake and normally I would use it on steep slopes. 2 inches over 15 feet should not have been an issue. it is keyless and i can guarantee it was in park because that was the first thing that i checked when i opened the door. Majority of folks in automatics do not use the parking brake everytime they park.

That's why you should use it all the time. You never know when something is going to break. And just because the majority of people do something doesn't make it right. I even use mine in the garage.

I never use mine even on a manual unless the slope is crazy and I don't think the curb will stop the vehicle. But I guess maybe we should start using it....I only stopped using them because we had two cars have cable issues which caused a seizure of the caliper.

Same here.

After bad experiences with Chryslers, I'm paranoid about the brake not releasing.

I only started using my parking brake since I picked up the Edge. The big tires and the 6-12" roll, made me worried about breaking off the park pawl. Other users here were stating it was the only fix. So now I've gotten into the habit of doing it EVERYWHERE! It doesn't matter if its a slope or at the gas station on the level pad. If I'm stopped and taking my foot off the brake, then I set it. "Set it and Forget it". If you use it regularly, you shouldn't have an issue with it ceasing. It's much more likely to jam if you only use it every few months. Then when you need it, it won't work, or will not disengage.

All of this is irreverent to the main issue though. This certainly should not have happened, so please keep us up to date on what you find out.

If you use it regularly, you shouldn't have an issue with it ceasing. It's much more likely to jam if you only use it every few months. Then when you need it, it won't work, or will not disengage.

Not really true. In all three cars we had seized the parking brake was used everytime the car was parked. Most of these system still use a cable and when corrosion starts it drags. Often they use springs to assist the release but this only works so long. It is basically the same set up as on my mountain bike and I have to change those cables every year to keep them working smoothly.

I always use my parking brake on my cars: I've never had one seize. I've know people whom have had parking brakes seize with daily usage and I've know people whom have had the brake seize if they use it once in a while or not at all. I think it's a matter of age of the car more than use, but I have nothing to base that on.

• 9 months later...

I had exactly the same problem with a 2013 Ford Edge. My driveway is almost flat where the car is parked, but on a very slight incline. I parked and went inside for 5 minutes (did not engage the emergency brake that time). When I came back out the car had rolled down the driveway, knocked down the mailbox and was sticking mostly out into the street. Imagine if an innocent kid were walking or biking by at that time, or another car had been passing by! I also read about another Edge with the same problem: http://www.carcompla...k_in_park.shtml

and many with others with different transmission problems. I am trying to trade in the car on our company's lease for a different model - the Edge is dangerous with this problem!

I had exactly the same problem with a 2013 Ford Edge. My driveway is almost flat where the car is parked, but on a very slight incline. I parked and went inside for 5 minutes (did not engage the emergency brake that time). When I came back out the car had rolled down the driveway, knocked down the mailbox and was sticking mostly out into the street. Imagine if an innocent kid were walking or biking by at that time, or another car had been passing by! I also read about another Edge with the same problem: http://www.carcompla...k_in_park.shtml

and many with others with different transmission problems. I am trying to trade in the car on our company's lease for a different model - the Edge is dangerous with this problem!

So you didn't read the part of the owner's manual that says "WARNING - always set the parking brake"? (it's on page 188) Rolling into an innocent kid is certainly a danger, that's why Ford specifically tells you to use the parking brake. Failure to follow Ford's safety instructions makes you the danger, not your Edge. I'm pretty sure you'll find the same warning in any other manufacturer's owner guide.

The only time that I don't use the parking brake is when I have been driving in slush and the temp will drop below zero during the night. Been doing this 52 years now, never have had an issue with the parking brake not releasing.

Like I mentioned above it may be a regional thing. Doubt you see much snow and salt spread on your roads. Up here they use so much everything gets badly corroded. Actually since my last post in this thread the Audi A4's cable seized again. I can engage it but can't reliably release it. Not going to bother getting it fixed again since the car is on its way out anyway. Just have to pick the right parking spots.

Like I mentioned above it may be a regional thing. Doubt you see much snow and salt spread on your roads. Up here they use so much everything gets badly corroded. Actually since my last post in this thread the Audi A4's cable seized again. I can engage it but can't reliably release it. Not going to bother getting it fixed again since the car is on its way out anyway. Just have to pick the right parking spots.

I lived in Washington DC for three winters. Lots of snow there.

• 1 year later...