MyFord Touch Updates set for 1st Qtr. 2012

Ford dealers received information Dec. 14, 2011 expanding on the plans Ford is making to assist customers who own vehicles with the MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch systems found in the new Explorer, Edge and some Focus models.

Some owners have had difficulty with the advanced in-vehicle technology system. Some media critics have panned the MyFord Touch system while others have praised it.

The key elements of the performance upgrade plan will focus on improved quality through better system stability, improved voice recognition and software updates. The upgrade will improve performance and usability with improved screen refresh rates, improved response to touch, new simplified screens and easier phone pairing. New features will include ability to handle audible (book) files, better message access profile (voice to text conversion), better tablet compatibility and new map data.

In this past week about 1,000 MyFord and MyLincoln Touch owners (Red Carpet lessees) were randomly selected to conduct an extensive Beta Test. The testing will put the new software through a variety of tests and engineers will have the opportunity to make any adjustments before the release of the final upgrade. According a representative from Ford’s In-Vehicle Technology support center, the upgrade is scheduled for release in first quarter 2012. An exact date has not been set pending results from the Beta Test.

Ford said the performance upgrade plans to date include an offer to the customer to receive USB flash drives or SD cards (if their vehicle is nav equipped) along with instructions that will be mailed to them so they can install the software themselves.

The customers may request their dealer execute the Performance Upgrade. If they make that choice, they will be asked to bring in the USB or SD card they received in the mail so the dealer can make the installation. An additional 1-year warranty extension will be offer to all customers receiving the Performance Upgrade.

Joseph B. White, with the Wall Street Journal, said of the upgrade, “Ford’s upgrade move illustrates the benefit of digital technology: The look and feel of a digital dashboard can be changed in a few minutes by changing software.”

Doug Newcome, with Edmund’s Inside Line, adds, “Let’s hope that other automakers follow Ford’s lead in making systems like MyFord Touch as easy to update as your smartphone or other electronic devices.”

For additional info check with your local Ford dealer, visit the syncmyride.com website or visit the fordtechlane.com weblog.

Edited by HFord57

"... improved screen refresh rates...", " ...improved response to touch..."

I don't believe those changes can be made through software. The touch response is totally hardware dependent, unless they were using software to slow down response times which makes no sense.

The look and new font sizes look good, though.

"... improved screen refresh rates...", " ...improved response to touch..."

I don't believe those changes can be made through software. The touch response is totally hardware dependent, unless they were using software to slow down response times which makes no sense.

The look and new font sizes look good, though.

If they deliver what we have been seeing from the blog then there will be a significant improvement in response. The delay we see now is the processing behind the GUI not the ability of the screen to register the touch. The system gets the touch command but it bogged down processing the action. There has been some talk about microsoft reworking the base software to support openGL which offloads the processing of certain instructions to the video card. This was not being used in the previous iterations and clogs the pipeline of the processer. Only time will tell if it's true. If true I would expect a nice boost in speed from my experience with openGL enhancements with software. I am a software engineer.

• Like 1

So what happens when you press the touch screen and the hardware registers a touch? The software has to interpret it and do something. 98% of poor performance is due to poorly written software.

They're also using more hardware acceleration. My daughter's new Focus has MFT and the touch response time is fine - and that's on the current hw/sw. It's locked up twice but no other problems so far.

• 1 month later...

Hell, if they were looking for Beta Testers, all they had to do was come here. We've been unwitting beta testers since day 1!!

Anybody have any idea on dates yet beyond the "First Quarter of 2012"??? I was on the SYNC site yesterday and downloaded what was described as the "new program" and apparently it's the same version I have in my 2011 Edge. Sent an email to SYNC and I got a reply from Ford that states the same basic info as written in the above post. I do have the Navigation system too so as far as I can figure out I'll get both the update for the FMT/SYNC plus the Nav upgrade. It sure would be nice of Ford to keep the owners updated on progress of this project. They sure can make things confusing by offering an update on the SYNC site which is NOT the one they have been working on.

Guess we'll jsut sit and watch our mailboxes. :unsure:

bah. guess we have to wait then. i just picked up my new 2012 sport today. :)

My MFT froze again and gave me a navigation fault? I spoke to dealer today and was told end of March for new software! Crap! This MFT really is bad. I'm tired of slowness, frozen screens, and unreliability of system. Ford really pissed me off with this MFT, and to make it worse, they are really advertising MFT to be great in recent tv commercials?? Seriously?

My MFT froze again and gave me a navigation fault? I spoke to dealer today and was told end of March for new software! Crap! This MFT really is bad. I'm tired of slowness, frozen screens, and unreliability of system. Ford really pissed me off with this MFT, and to make it worse, they are really advertising MFT to be great in recent tv commercials?? Seriously?

I agree 100%! This system is total F-ing crap! I am so disappointed. The dealer lied. The commercial lies. I should have went with my instinct and not purchased a broken piece of American junk. Sell a product that works! I am so disappointed. This fix better be something amazing.

I agree 100%! This system is total F-ing crap! I am so disappointed. The dealer lied. The commercial lies. I should have went with my instinct and not purchased a broken piece of American junk. Sell a product that works! I am so disappointed. This fix better be something amazing.

Have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable? And yes, I understand that you shouldn't have to do it but it has worked for others and is worth a try.

I noticed that all the photo gallery shots of the upcoming MFT Upgrade does not show the temperature along side the clock as it does on this version I have on my 2011 Limited with Navigation (with the latest updates available). Will this be included in the upgrade.

Nope... I saw the new version on a Fusion at the Chicago Auto Show. The dropped the temp and compass from the center, just the time now. So your passenger won't easily be able to see the outside temp, but you will still see it on the multi-function display on the dashboard.

PhillyAnt

My dealer said to disconnect the posative for 5-10 minutes, then reconnect. It's supposed to do a complete shutdown, then when you reconnect, the system will do a complete system maintenance, which might take a couple of minutes. I better keep my fingers crossed until the update comes out. Did this once, and it seemed to correct the problem of cold air coming out of the defroster when the temp ws set to 72.

• 3 weeks later...

Got update today. Wow. MFT is working great now. I like the bigger fonts and the screen transition is smooth with nice fade in and out. It's only been one day but no freezes and slow reaction times. My MFT was getting really bad with freezes every day. Crossing my fingers this new version holds up.

I read that you need to leave the vehicle on for the entire process which they stated could take roughly 60 minutes. Is that true? I literally have to waste 60 minutes of gas idling for this update?

Can I perform this update in accessory mode?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by cherrybomb

45-60 minutes.

I think the 1st 5-10 mins to kick off the install you should remain parked, however you can drive for the rest of the update from what I have read. So kick off the install and drive to wherever, as long as it's about a 45-min to hour drive I can complete it on my drive to work one morning once I get the package.

M.